1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Sep 26, 2014.

1. RAdam

Saying I'm happy to see people die is a very good point your're right, I shouldn't have been condescending. I'm so stupid!! :dry:
    What is inhumane is letting people die because organs go to people who messed up their own, you make choices that come with consequences, this ain't no fairy tale. It's inhumane to let people die who had no choice. Substance abusers relapse in 6 % of the cases ruining their donated organs once again, 6 % of the very scarce organs go to waste. So yes if I had the choice I would let a kid with a birth defect or someone who got into an accident have my organs above substance abusers any day. There is a long waiting list, it isn't like my organs will be kept in the cooling till a non substance abuser needs them letting substance abusers die meanwhile. No it will be used for a transplant the same day. Calling me inhumane says more about you than it does about me.

#41 RAdam, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. timo

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as super rude... but looking back, I can see I did. Sorry.

And thanks for the links :slight_smile: I will read them. Edit: I've read them. They're all quite unique cases and I doubt this will happen to any of us, but I can see how it might make you uncomfortable.

#42 timo, Sep 27, 2014
  3. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You should know that there are ethical limits for what medical staff can do. While they do prioritise, to have personal preferences, even (perhaps especially) on part of the donors, is not a particularly ethical stance for them to take, and it is absolutely unethical to try to exercise control over who gets organs in a system which has to be as impartial as possible.

What exactly is says about me, I don't know, but I imagine your lack of elaboration means it's a pointless piece of rhetoric. I do not consider the devaluation of medical ethics to be more of a problem than calling someone out on deliberate preferences over a matter of literal life and death.

There are far better ways to ensure everyone can get the necessary organs, notably by making it an opt-out system with only considerations of urgency and compatibility of the recipient to ensure the most suitable organs are used when needed, rather than to have an opt-in system, especially when donors get to pick the recipients. Your concerns may be valid, but that doesn't put them above equal donation practices.

#43 Aussie792, Sep 27, 2014
  4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see what you mean. And if someone smoked, they should abslutely not continue doing this with new lungs. It's an ethical debate whether it's moral to make such a decision, that is, judging who gets it and who doesn't, but I definitely see your point.

I think those who are against your opinion are missing the key of your point. Yes, you know it's not a nice decision to make and you know you cannot decide who gets your organs, but you are entitled to think this way. It doesn't make you unethical to say such a thing. There are people who donate nothing. They can also attack those. But no, they choose someone who is willing to give his organs to a group of people.

Don't worry too much about it RAdam. Opinions differ. :icon_wink

5. Richie.

I agree with an opt out service if someone is that passionAte about not donating they will make sure they don't but people are ignorant and don't realise how many people they can help with their organs. I'd donate no problem Let the live live and the dead rest.

Peace

6. Libra71

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    NZ has an opt in system (we are asked if we want to be a donor when the driving licence is issued - though it is not the end of the story, the family still has to agree to it even if we are a listed donor!). I am in favour of an opt out system as research has shown that donor rates overall are better in this case.

On the interesting issue of having some control over who our organs go to once we are dead. I remember thinking briefly about this when I signed up as a donor - that it would be great if my organs went to people who were kind, tolerant, showed empathy and care towards others, were capable of great love... all fluffy stuff! In the end, I was happy the medical trade makes those decisions - they have enough rules as it is. Also, I would rather look at ideas how to increase donor numbers as this would mean less concerns about organ allocation.

7. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's alright, no harsh feelings

8. anja26

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In Slovenia you can be an organ doner, just need to register. I'm definitely doing it, why not :slight_smile:

9. black-cat

It is called Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, an autoimmune disease.

There is no proof that it is carried through blood or tissue, but then again, no proof that it isn't, so being "better safe than sorry" I am unable to donate. Fibro and Lupus are "sister" illnesses of CFS.

When I said "banned from donating anything permanently" I meant even once I recover from the illness, and I have a clean bill of health for 2/5/10 years- I will still be banned from donating organs. And don't worry, I don't mind you asking!