1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Organ donation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PatrickUK, Sep 26, 2014.

1. RAdam

Wanting to donate to somebody who had no hand in ruining their organs = happy to see people who ruined their organs die. Yeah, nice conversation tho, learned much. :icon_roll

2. black-cat

I'm also in the UK and believe that people should have to opt out of organ donation. Something has gotta change, too many people are dying because of what can be something as simple as people being too lazy to sign up.

I would donate organs and blood, but due to an illness I'm banned from donating anything permanently.

3. OroYPlata

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember having to opt in when I applied for my drivers license, but I kind of like the idea of having to opt out instead. I feel like one of the biggest reasons more people don't opt in is because they don't really understand what the question is really asking or are misinformed of how the process works.

4. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    RAdam, in fact I agree with you in some way. Not that a smoker is not allowed to get my lungs, but it's not something I'd prefer. I understand you and I don't get why people seem to be against your opinion. At least you are giving your organs to donation. There are people who don't do that.

5. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

yeah you get the option when you get your driver's license here in THE STATES, i opted out because my organs are shit and will probably kill me anyway

6. Eric

I'm a supporter of presumed consent for organ donations.

For the sake of sparing hurt feelings, I won't go into how I feel about people who, lacking a valid reason, would refuse to donate organs. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. One Man Army

I'm happy to donate my brain to a good cause right now, as long as I get a mechanical brain in exchange.

8. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in full agreement.

One thing that upsets me with organ donation is that it tends to be the rich and those who can pay who get the organs...the poor, middle class and those on long waiting lists don't matter, in so many places.

For instance, I've needed a cornea transplant in my right eye for about 10 years. But I can't afford it, even with insurance, the co-pays would be over $3,000-$5,000 if all went well. I've have never had that much money saved up at once, nor the luxury to take a month off work...so with no credit and money, it's not much use to me and a lot of people. And when you try to find help, you get told, "Well you have insurance", or, "You make too much to qualify"...but never enough to afford things.

So I dunno. I think I'm gonna keep my (usable) organs until there's a more fair system in place as to who gets them.

#28 HuskyPup, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  9. Dakeli27

I think what he was saying is he'd rather have his lungs go to an accident victim than a smoker.

I want my body cremated when I die, and I dislike the idea of having an organ missing when I'm cremated, but my parts can save someone's life, so of course I'll donate.

---------- Post added 26th Sep 2014 at 07:00 PM ----------

If you don't mind me asking, what illness is that? And how can you donate temporarily, does that just mean they have your organ until a better one can be found?

I realized I didn't say my part. I think yes, you should opt out rather than opt in. If it really bothers someone, they'll care enough to mark it no.

10. Candace

I mean, I said "to hell with it, you guys can have my organs when I die". Why am I going to complain about it? It's not like I can say anything about it at that point :lol:

I hope that my organs go towards someone who needs it the most, say, an eight year old girl who needed a kidney transplant. That would make me happy.

11. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't be condescending when he raises a very good point. You no longer have control over organs when you die. They're not a personal present or a gift to go to a specific individual. They're a resource for medical staff to use as necessary to save the necessary lives in the order of priority in that time and place; if your organs are suitable for a smoker who urgently needs them, it's inhumane to let them die because you felt yourself above them in choosing who has the right to live.

I believe organ donation should be an opt-out system. It's still a choice, but we might have more organs available if the indecisive people are automatically signed up.

#31 Aussie792, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  12. 741852963

I'm really torn on this one Patrick.

On one hand an opt-out system would work wonders for donor numbers, but whether or not its ethical presuming consent I'm not sure. I know I personally would like to be asked first - I'd probably opt out immediately initially until I made my mind up and opted back in!

I'd really like to give blood and bonemarrow but I'm still a bit nervous about organ donation. I didn't like the horror stories of the NHS ignoring donation preferences (i.e. which organs to take), or the fact they often have to take organs from you when you are still technically alive (just brain dead). I know its really silly (what use are they when your dead?) but part of me has some weird "Egyptian" mentality that I "have to" go out somewhat in one piece - or that my death should be the end of my body and organs, a full stop if that makes sense? I do need to think about it more.

13. Blossom85

In NSW, we need to opt in and it used to be something you ticked on your drivers license application, but now you need to register with the national organ donor register.. That reminds me that I need to do that cause I think donating your organs is a worthwhile thing to do.. Once you die, your body is no longer living and by giving your organs to someone else, you are giving them a chance at another life..

Having an opt-out system vs an opt-in system.. I honestly don't know which way to stand on that because even if you say you are an organ donor, in NSW anyway I know.. It is still your families decision in the end to say yes or no.. Which is why they always say discuss it with family and let them know what you wanna do and that you are a registered donor so they can honor your wishes.

14. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't plan on donating my organs, I've read many horror stories of patients waking up to find doctors about to take out their organs. I cant imagine the number of people who were going to survive but the doctors insisted on taking out their organs anyway.

15. MintberryCrunch

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to admit, that paranoia is kind of the reason I opted out as well.

16. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm signed up for donation. When I'm dead I certainly won't need the organs anymore, if they can benefit someone else that seems to be a good thing. Any leftovers can be cremated and scattered to the winds to land where they will and be nutrition for something else. Anything would be better than being pumped full of expensive and dangerous chemicals and put into an expensive and fundamentally useless box in the ground.

17. timo

I call bullshit.

Give me some trustworthy sources and we'll talk.

18. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    EVERY human being deserves second chances.

For the United States there is a waiting list for every major city don't know much about it. I guess I could donate but there is one problem Organ Donation and The Rapture *MERGED* tells it but it's only for my religion.

19. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First of all, there's no need to be extremely rude. Just because you disagree with me gives you no right to be arrogant.

and here

Patient Wakes Up Right Before Doctors Remove Organs - ABC News

Steven Thorpe: Teenager declared brain-dead by FOUR doctors makes miracle recovery | Daily Mail Online

Paralysed stroke victim experiences every patient's worst nightmare as doctors openly discussed donating his organs | Daily Mail Online

Organ Donor Network Used 'Atrocious' Practices, Former Worker Claims

'Dead' man wakes as transplant surgeons prepare to remove his organs - Telegraph

Danish Teen Wakes From the "Dead" Just as Doctors Prepare to Harvest Her Organs

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've got the heart on my driver's license. Once I'm dead, I won't need them anymore.