1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Occupation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rainbow Girl, Aug 23, 2014.

1. EatYourRikkios

I'm a soldier; right now I'm going through AIT and afterward I'll be going to the Defense Language Institute. If I don't re-enlist after my active contract is up, I want to go to school for music, and eventually open up a sim-com theater for kids, putting on productions in ASL and English.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I am poor and in debt then.

3. Kai LD

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Two of my best friends are teachers irl. Yeah...

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

As posted in another thread.

My legal profession is Resource Management, in a public library. You could call me a Librarian, to keep it simple, I suppose.

I only work one day a week (usually Saturday), for about 3 or 4 hours. However, since this is a government-backed facility, I am paid as if I work 35-40 hours a week, and instead of being paid biweekly, I am paid once a week. It just works out like that, and I cannot lie, it is fucking awesome. I have health care and everything.

So, in short, I work 3 hours and get paid a shit ton (and receive benefits), and all I do is file documents, maybe help check in and shelve books back, while doing something every now and then for the Summer Reading Programs we run, like a puppet show.

If you REALLY want to know the details:
    The Good: Short hours, great pay and benefits. I get to see a variety of people, and since it is a library, most of them are fairly intelligent. It's awesome to help a young kid find a book, or to entertain them. The accessibility I have to books, computer files, and various newspaper articles and community treasures, is incredible. I also get free movie rentals, from our collection of DVDs. Sometimes, though only during the Summer, I am asked to help with various things, like setting up puppet shows, magic shows, or animal exhibitions for the youth, during the Summer Reading Program. I get to wear whatever I want, so long as I wear an official staff t-shirt (which is fine, it doesn't have to be tucked in, is loose-fitting, and baggy), which is provided by the library in a spectrum of colors.

I also get to meet big shots of the town, too, since they come by for various things. I've even met some politicians before, who like to view the library's archives, for any problems that may come up during elections.

The Bad: I don't always get to help with the programs, due to my short hours. Sometimes, homeless individuals come into the library, and I, when there, am asked to handle them. It's pretty heart breaking to walk into a bathroom, see someone shirtless and washing themselves with the sink, and having to tell them they have been asked to leave. And, when a certain book or two become "popular", you have to deal with the cool kids or the condescending parents. When 50 Shades of Gray dropped, I had to deal with short-fused house moms all damn day, who would get furious if the book wasn't in. Sometimes, the kids can make a mess of the book shelves, too.

Basically, I hate kicking the homeless out, and I don't like asshole patrons. The kids, while annoying with their messing up things, are just kids. I have yet to meet a kid I can't clown or deal with, so I manage.

The Ugly: The library is two-stories. On the second story, in a corner, is the Main Office. There are three women up there, who basically run the entire show. One is the Head Librarian, the second is the Assistant Librarian, and the third is the Children's Librarian (she does story time, and works with the kids each day). All three of these women are gossip machines, and will be very snappy and rude if you don't gossip back. The Head Librarian has actually called me upstairs to "have a talk", and all it is is her wanting to know, what I think about this and that, or so and so. I tell her I don't like gossip, and I just want to do my job. This irritates her to no end, but since I do a fan-fucking-tastic job, she keeps me around. The other two ladies up there, just sort of vulture around her, and nod along. Every now and then, you have someone using the library to sell drugs or contact their pimps.

I'm being dead serious, right now. It isn't every day, or even every month, but it happens two or three times a year, so it is worth a mention. They use the library, since it's public, in the hopes they won't get caught. In a way, it's kind of genius, but the problem is, I've been around both drugs and prostitution rings (if anyone really wants to know, ask me, I'll share the stories), so I know what's up. It doesn't help that one of the young ladies actually approached me, in the back of the library when I was taking the trash out before clocking out, and offered a particular oral service for money. I declined, but it stands out to me, still. The drugs, though, it's hilarious seeing how they "pass" the merchandise.

Is Every Day Tedious or Good?: Well, considering I only work one day a week, it's usually enjoyable. If I have to assign a percentage to it, I'd say it's 90% good, 5% LOL-WTF?, and 5% bad.

Are You Fulfilled With It?: Yes. It's relatively easy, I can't beat the hours to benefits ratio, and I have access to ridiculous amounts of knowledge. I could work a second job, really, which is something I have considered, since I have the time. But that would cut into my personal routine of fitness, meditation, and saving the world.

Why, or Why Not, Are You Enjoying It?: I believe the previous collection of answers, should answer this.

What Country Are You Employed In?: The United States of America. The Commonwealth of Kentucky. United We Stand, Divided We Fall. Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis. Home of Colonel Sanders and his Fried Chicken... yeah, I can go on and on about this state. But, there you go.

How Is Work There, For People of Your Profession?: I assume librarians do okay. They don't get a lot of respect, because reading and literacy is kind of viewed as nerdy, or a waste of time by a lot of circles. I do all right.

I'm having a hard time deciphering what you mean, with the last few questions, so, I'm going to sum it up. I got this job by just going in, pestering the hell out of them, and landing it. You have to get a degree to run a library, this much I know. You don't have to have it, when you begin running it, but you are given a time window for obtaining the degree. Business, English, and some Social Sciences, are probably the core of what you'll need to study, or know.

It's flexible, to me, so that counts, right? Then again, I'm in a rare, but oh so fucking wonderful situation.

Education-wise, I am a few classes short of an Associate's Degree. My goal is obtain that, then become a detective or work with juvenile delinquents. Possibly, even become an attorney/lawyer. The only thing that matters, to me, is, that I am in the system to get people OUT of it, instead of putting them IN to the system.

5. Chief Beifong

I'm in high school now, I wanted to study in many areas but I think about going to be some type of Physicist (Astro, sound or electric) or maybe a engineer (same area). But my other passions are history (medieval or 16th to 20th century in Europe) and Art (music or photography). I know I can do art in my free time, but i'm still debating between history and physics.

6. black-cat

I really want to be a Prosthetist.

7. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm looking for work. In the mean time I'm volunteering at a charity shop.

8. Dakeli27

I briefly tried writing, and it didn't go so well. I would get great ideas, but couldn't get them into a book. I did make a few good short stories, though.

9. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

My pic should tell you my job :wink:

10. Dakeli27

Um... Hat designer?

11. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Funny guy :wink:

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a high school senior currently, and plan to go to college and dual major in Political Science and Investigative Journalism, getting a doctorate and masters in them respectfully and minoring in Sociology. I want to work as a political scientist for either the government or a politician, and maybe dive into the world of politics myself. As a political scientist I'll probably specialize in domestic issues.

13. asdfghjk

asdfghjk Guest

i want kaisers job

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2014 at 08:21 AM ----------

*pulls out gun* hand it over

---------- Post added 24th Aug 2014 at 08:22 AM ----------

i work 38.5 hours of intense stressful work for shit boss that isnt get fires because of asskissing with no benefits and bad pay

i am at the point where being homeless seems nice because i could get medical benefits and go to the doctor

14. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friend I live with is a teacher, so is my aunt.

I however make decent money considering "I'm just a teacher"

15. Compute

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm currently in the education process of becoming a mathematician / mathematics lecturer. As a current job I work as a part-time chef. One of the reasons I was given the job was due to my long-standing independent cooking ability since I'm usually home alone at meal times as family works late. After a year of fish fingers and chicken nuggets I began to experiment and eventually got experienced enough to land a job serving for as many as 150 people at a time. :slight_smile: I guess you could say I bake a mean pi! (Customary joke I have to make when this topic comes up.)

16. MassiveExtract

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well right now I landed a job at my own university, and they're funding my indie video game project, so I'm getting paid for developing a game that I'll see the profits to eventually. Pretty neat if you ask me. So in 2015, ya'll get to play my game on mobile platforms!

I'm also a senior, finishing my B.A. in Social Media communication, in conjunction with my Associates degree in Computer information's system. I'm definitely going for my P.H.D, I would never stop studying regardless of my life outcome.

I find it funny, because most people laugh when they say I'm a nerd. I don't look anything like a nerd, and I'm too cool, but being brought up poor I always had a drive to learn everything while still having fun. Let's just say my drive helped me land that awesome job and now I'm just waiting to show all those people my very own product, which many do not think I can do, because I don't look like a game developer. To be honest it's also because most people believe I should be a film actor, reporter or politician. But, my dream is to be launch a game product, regardless if other have no hopes of me achieving that. I'm getting close.

#56 MassiveExtract, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Depending on the time of year, I am either working in video production or working in retail. When I am at school, I work video production, when I am at home, I work in retail.

18. twosoups

I myself almost applied last year, but I wasn't confident enough about Mars One succeeding in their mission to bother paying the application fee. I am pretty skeptical of their chances. Still best of luck to you!

19. Wuggums47

Wuggums47 Guest

I am but a humble student, but I plan to go in to psychiatry.

20. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Working on a congressional campaign right now, and hoping to get hired by my boss to his federal staff after we win.

I'm also entering my senior year of college majoring in political science and communication. Likely going to George Washington University for their master's in political management program, and then work on campaigns and as a congressional staffer.

Some advice if you want to work in politics (campaigns especially): Don't expect to have a family, and get ready to travel a lot.