1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not going to prom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gordilocks, Jun 4, 2014.

1. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm not going to my prom, because the people at my school are so homophobic or generally awful that I can't stand to be around them.
    Anyone else been in a similar situation? Are you glad or did you regret it?

2. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I sort of regretted going to mine with a guy...Prom honestly isn't even that big of a deal in my opinion

3. Yosia

Im not going to my leavers prom for multiple reasons: i hate virtually everyone in my year, waste of time, my friends arent going so i would be alone, lots are homophobic and transphobic.

4. Gen

Gen

I never went to prom. Not because of homophobia, rather I had never gone to any dances throughout high school and didn't see a point in changing things in my final years. People will forget about prom very soon after. Most people actually find them to be fairly lackluster anyway.

Memories come from spending time with those that you truly care about. Not moving around awkwardly in a dark room or watching your classmates get wasted in the night after. You will remember the things that meant something to you, so don't feel bad about missing something that would have probably left you feeling insulated and hurt.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I never went 'cause I hated my entire school. Never regretted it for a second.

6. markosss

I was in a similar situation by I went to prom....but I regret it! I have social anxiety disorder and thats why I didnt like it.I will advice you to go (except if you will be in danger) it will be a life experience and may help you in the future! Good luck! (Sorry about my english)

7. Hyaline

I took a girl to the prom (a family friend). But we didn't really stay there long. I double dated with a friend of mine and we both drove.. After going to the dance for pictures, we opted to bug out and go for a drive along the coast.. Was a great night. It's all about the people around you... but if you don't go, you will regret it.. Just make an appearance and then leave if it isn't your scene... at least you can say you tried...

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'll go with u come in it will be fun.

9. joshy the queen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    will i really think you should go with a friend as just friends
    if you dont know any cool guys you like who are willing to go with you
    its a cool memory to remember anyway so dont miss it its fun

10. Ravi-VIXX777

I didn't go to mine-I have to 'pretend' to have 'fun' around over a hundred kids I can't stand? Count me out. I don't regret it, but I guess it's mainly because I have a dance to attend during the summer with people I like instead. It's ultimately your decision though.

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never went to prom in high school. I just went to after-prom because there was bowling there. I really did not feel like I missed much though.. I'm not a huge fan of dances to begin with.

12. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I went to my prom (at 16 in England) and really enjoyed it. But I just went with a group of about 6 friends and we just had a good night together. It's mostly about if you and your friends would enjoy that event - a couple of mine didn't go, and they weren't too bothered about it. Only a few people from my whole year had dates, so it was mostly just friendship groups, and a way to celebrate the end of school with people you spend 4/5 years with. You should celebrate in a way that's right for you and your friends :slight_smile: If the people you don't like would spoil the night, do something else. If you can ignore them and enjoy your night, go :slight_smile:

13. Maeve

I went to my senior prom. I can say that without a doubt, I would have not had any regrets had I not gone. It wasn't terrible, but it's just not my thing. I went with a guy. That part I definitely regret. He had a thing for me and I wasn't into him at all. He was really disappointed, and I felt bad.

But dinner before was really good. It was my favorite part of the night.

14. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my country there's only a senior prom for people, and for me it'll be next year. I'll probably go and leave as soon as the bottles of vodka start showing up.

15. 741852963

We had a sort of small end of year "prom", but I didn't go as I find these sort of things a little naff. Dressing up in an ill-fitting suit, getting wasted on alcopops and Frosty Jacks, and trying to dance (alone) to sappy love songs. I could not think of anything worse! :grin:

16. Raikamaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I didn't go to prom, I just couldn't be bothered to go. I didn't want be stuck there with about a hundred other people that I couldn't stand.

I'm not in to that kind of thing anyways.

17. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

"I'm going to prom" well that's what were telling my GF's parents, because really were going to go have sex. Her traditional parents can suck it.

What I am not attending however is graduation, because girls and boys have separate robes and have to sit separately. Screw that.

18. theinvisiblekat

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I didn't attend my prom, instead I had a movie night with some close friends and we spent the weekend together. I definitely don't regret not going, I had a blast with my friends and I didn't have to spend the money on a dress

19. BelleFromHell

I'm homeschooled, so I don't have a choice (but if I did, I don't think I would go).

20. SamThes

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never went to prom. It wasn't because of homophobia, though, since I still thought I was a straight girl then. It was more because I didn't have a date, or friends. I've always been extremely socially awkward.

In hindsight, I sort of regret it a little bit. It is a life experience, and I missed out on it. But most of the time, I don't really care that I didn't go. Just when everyone else gets shocked that I never went.