1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No clue until later in adulthood?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by RedRover75, May 6, 2014.

1. tomboy

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also figured it out just recently that I am gay. In fact I recently realized that it's been a year now.

For me, it was a crush on a girl that did it. I believe I had an internalized homophobia. That was why being gay wasn't even an option, in an unconscious way. Growing up, I was fed the idea that gays were strange, weird, wanting to be different, wanting to call attention to themselves. And I wasn't like that at all. Well, maybe I was a little weird, but all I really wanted was to be normal.

Through many experiences of understanding the lgbt community, I believe the homophobia finally went away, and this opened the door to the big crush that changed my life. It was on a girl. At first I was like wtf!? What is this!? I don't get crushes on girls! But I could not deny that I was crazy about her. As it all sunk in, everything began to make sense. I really had always felt different. It was just that I didn't WANT to feel different, so I probably didn't even want to admit to myself that I felt different. I couldn't see me being gay as an option, so I got crushes on boys, just like I thought I was supposed to. But once I got these feelings for this girl, so many things made sense, and I actually felt good about myself in ways I never had before. My perceptions changed. I felt no attraction whatsoever for men. I could only see myself with a woman.

2. CyclingFan

Fascinating, cause I'm feeling the same way. I mean, the world seems brighter, the colors seem sharper and I feel like I'm home and comfortable with myself in a way I never have before.

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had no idea that I might be bisexual, but my experience was different than other bisexuals. When I was a teenager I had no sexual desire for boys but only for girls, so I assumed that I was a lesbian. Then last year at 26 I started a romantic and sexual relationship with a long time male friend. The thing is, I still am physically attracted to women in general and not attracted to men in general. I was totally blindsided by this at the time, no clue this would happen. Two yrs ago if someone had said I'd be in a fulfilling relationship with a guy I would've said they were crazy, that just wasn't me. It still feels weird at times, and still don't know exactly why. A therapist told me that my sexually probably didn't actually changed, but it was more that I put myself in a situation where I realized what my true sexuality was. If that's true then I'm like a 98/2% bisexual.