1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Coming Out Day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Emberblaze, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Emberblaze

So, many of you may or may not be aware of, October 11th is national coming out day! Does anybody plan on taking this holiday into observance?

As for me, I'm not certain. Earlier in the year I decided to use NCOD as a way to come out to my mom, but now that I realize that it's in less than a week (I thought it was in November :rolle:slight_smile: I'm having second thoughts.

But I was just wonderin ow many people on empty closets new about the day. So, post whatcha think about it eh.

2. Retrospect

I'm posting this as a Facebook status Thursday morning:

I'm a little nervous, but I think it'll be okay. And I'm also wearing a rainbow necktie Thursday :grin:

#2 Retrospect, Oct 7, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

It would be kinda redundant for me at this point. I might post something humorous like, "So today's National Coming Out Day. Y'all know I'm gay, right?"

4. Valarie

Valarie Guest

never knew that
    might or might not use it
    I have to think about it

5. justlauren64

im planning to use it to tell my sister. i love her and we get along great, so i think it will be a good start because im not out to my family yet

6. sunnii

I'm from Scotland so I take it it won't be national coming out day for us. Well that's my excuse for if/when I bottle it

7. LauraMarie

Hmmmm i could come out to my crush/bff hmmmm because i do see away in how id bring that National Coming Out day into convo... hmmm decisions decisions....

"Guess what today is Rylee!?! Its national coming out day! So guess what im bi!:slight_smile:" lmao id be the type of person to totaly say that ^ xDD Shouuuld i?

8. Emberblaze

Lols I think I should go buy a big display board and make a pie chart and a whole bunch of sophistimicated slides and displays about how I'm Kinsey 5!

Eh, maybe I'll tell my dad this year and my mom next year. Lols my did lives in florida so I can just tell him over phone and make it SO much easier!

9. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I won't be coming out at work, and I don't have fencing that day, so I can't come out to the rest of the club. I'm already out on Facebook. So probably not.

Instead, I will have things of solidarity to say to others.

10. Cloudbreaker

Maybe I'll post something like "Happy National Coming Out Day!" on Facebook. That way the people who don't know that I am gay yet might be prompted to double check my Interested In status.

11. bubblyhappy

bubblyhappy Guest

I kinda celebrate my own coming out day, which is the day I came out to my immediate family: 8/22/2009. But still cool to celebate oct 11 too.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm coming out to my former youth group director on the 11th. If I can get ahold of my friends I'll tell some more of them too.

13. Gallatin

Last year, I came out to several people on National Coming Out Day, including one of my roommates and one of my best friends. I'm not sure if I'll come out to anyone this year. There really isn't anyone on my list of people to tell at the moment.

14. SkyDiver

I'll set my FB profile picture as a rainbow with the words "Happy National Coming Out Day!"

15. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I never got the point of the day until we had an event for it last year.

For me at least, its celebrating everything that coming out entails and the importance of coming out. I usually wear a shirt that clearly shows I'm gay so show support and a face to whoever might be in the closet and thinking they are the only ones going through it all.

If you are already out and you feel for it, then try to wear something to let people know that you are LGBT. Not sure if you remember when you were in the closet, but just knowing that you had other gay people around you was very reassuring for me and it helps more people than you would imagine.

To those people planning to come out, best of luck and let us know how it went!! :slight_smile:

16. My college's Pride Alliance is holding a little event for NCOD that encourages the attendees to come out (although it's not mandatory), and say why it's important to them, but I don't think I'll do it. It's not that it's a secret or anything, I just don't feel like my coming out stories are particularly interesting. They're not overwhelming sad, funny, whatever. I'm also torn whether I want to be out as trans; on one hand, I just want everyone to see me as your average guy, but in reality, that's not possible at this point in time, since I don't pass. I'm also not sure exactly what I could say. As far as sexuality goes, it's honestly like talking about the weather for me, so I'm sure other people would have some more inspiring stories to share.

17. SecretSheik

Out Status:
    A few people
    If I'm going to be doing it.....I might be subtle about it. My family though we do have an uncle who is Gay.....it's not very much talked about it's like the elephant in the room that nobody really talks about. PERIOD. So to do so I gotta tread about it carefully. Especially on Thursday....>>;;;;; That's when I take my Aunt to the Hairdresser so if I'm going to celebrate coming out it's more or less like. Thanks for sharing.....just keep it to yourself. =3=;;;;;; Some people seriously.

It's either that or I post something to celebrate it on facebook. Not sure what to do......any tips?

18. Pyrotactick

v_v ...I might do something....but I can't really come out until...I can get out of my parent's houses and get a job.

19. O_Negative

My school's GSA does Coming Out Stories...people can gather around noon from the whole campus to hear people tell either their own stories or tell them for people who would rather not tell their own =)

20. alwayshope11

Hmmm back in March when I started dealing with being gay, I thought I may make use of this day...but I have told many people since then. I'm still not ready to tell my dad, and I know he will be the next person I tell... and since I won't see him on the 11th, I can't do it then. But its a great day and I have a PFLAG meeting that night, so at least I will be doing something to celebrate!