1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NaNoWriMo 2009

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Emberstone, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Stuie

But Twilight doesn't have a giant wave of custard, does it?! Hmm... I'll need a few more ideas other than a giant wave of custard... Cats, a ham sandwich, a "hammy" romance and a bad pun for a title. I think all the characters will be various food items.

Wow! My story is already shaping up to be complete nonsense! And I'm going to try to give it some variety of deeper meaning. Now the question, what is all this food commenting on? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Meropspusillus

I'm gonna try. But I bet I give up pretty quickly. I HAVE DEDICATION!

3. fallendream

the ham is a teenager and all the other foods are trying to prove that the youth f today is losing respect for the older generations.

4. Emberstone

omgawd!!! I would totally read that, even if just for chips and giggles. teehee, i made a bad food pun too.

It is like if dave berry collided with gary busey, and their dna and molecules combined and they wrote a book!

5. MusicIsLife

I'm gonna do it. Last year i got to 30 000, so heres hoping I'll make it this year.

6. Lychee

I'm thinking of doing it. But I have exams from the 6th of November til like the 28th... :\

7. Emberstone

I am lucky, my final exams are in december, and my midterms i think will be early november. I am planning to take classes I know will be fairly easy for me, mainly because they are things that are my passion anyways, so taking a class is a breeze because I love doing these things.

that way, they are smooth classes for me, they go towards my english degree, and I will not be so stressed out by them.

8. Hoppip

So I've been thinking about it for a while and I realized I really want to write something with a message. I want to craft something that is more than the sum of its pages, but, seeing as I'm a naïve teenager, that leaves little doors open for interesting material. So I'm going to write from what I know.

Teenagers + LGBT = character! Yes, it's Mary-Sue, but why the hell not?

I've already been wanting to do a drama with an ensemble cast, so I've tossed around the idea of writing about a teenager sent to an ex-gay camp and his interactions with his camp-mates and counselors. Obviously, not having gone to an ex-gay camp, I have a bit of research ahead of me, but otherwise I'm sure I can improvise it. As for the characters, I want to highlight a broad range of LGBT+ archetypes and culture, so that the novel touches upon all colors of the LGBT rainbow (pun intended). I want this novel to be an in-depth expose of our conflicts, desires, wants, needs, pressures, inter-discrimination, and everything else that encompasses being LGBT—something that's interesting for the gay person but light enough for the straight person. ^_^

9. Gaetan

I'm so jumping into this this year. I've had a novel idea in my head that's been developing for nearly three years now, so I'm going to putting it down on paper finally. I just hope I don't end up hating the story afterward.

10. Lychee

One of my friends and I are going to write one together this year :grin:
    Yay.
    Even though it's technically against the rules :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    We just had this epic idea in physics :grin:

11. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'm doing it this year. I've had my basic idea for a novel floating in my head for a few months now, and Nano seems like the perfect way to get it out. My cousin's been doing it for years, so at least I'll have someone with whom I can sympathize when it gets tough.

Eep, I'm excited! I can't wait until November. :grin:

12. Emberstone

Well, the website is down... which means one month from nano. Hpefully it will come back up in a few hours, and we can crash the server, cause it isnt nano without beginning of october and beginning of november crashing.

on month to go, and I am still only halfway through the fifth book, and im doing the sixth for nano this year. of course, everything is already so carefully planned that it shouldnt be a problem.

13. NickT

I'd love to participate, as I have a very active imagination, but I have a tough time "putting ideas onto paper" so-to-speak. Ah well. Can't wait to hear about what you all write ^^

14. Gaetan

I'm actually starting to get nervous. I don't think I have a large enough story to actually fill the requirements...I hope I find lots of things to embellish between point A and B!

15. MissMoony

MissMoony Guest

I tried to write a sort of teen issues story last year, realized I lacked passion for it, and stopped a couple thousand words in.
    Which is why I'm going to attempt the sort of things I actually like to read. I had a dream a few years ago that inspired an idea for a world something along the lines of Anthem by Ayn Rand, mixed with Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Yes, that has some contradictions, but I'm working on it and I have an original storyline, or so I think, to go along with the idea for the universe. So...hopefully I make it this year.

16. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only a week or so to go! Who's excited?

17. Amy

Amy

Hella excited!
    I talked to my teacher, so my friend and I are doing it for Creative Writing. :grin:

18. Emberstone

NaNo has offically begun! The website crashed earlier, but only for a short while. I think australia is already writing away.

I must say, it is amazing how well the new server setup is handling the load. Likely will slow down when midnight hits for the east coast of the united states, and people start updating their wordcounts.

19. Steam Giant

Hah, last minute participant signing up! I've been tossing the idea back and forth, and decided to give it a shot! I've tried the past two years and failed both times! Maybe this time will be different? I hope so!

Edit: Got into my account! Best of luck, everyone!

#39 Steam Giant, Oct 31, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  20. Ben

Ben

Good luck everyone!! :grin: Helen and I are going for it again this year. Hopefully we can win two years running.