1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF Vulnerability & Protection

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AudreyB, May 31, 2014.

1. Kat 5

Use one of these.

[​IMG]

2. Gates

Gates Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

This has turned out to be a great and very educational thread. Thanks everyone for arming me with knowledge (if nothing else). :slight_smile:

Will come back later with another post as I have some questions.

4. BelleFromHell

[​IMG]

5. Techno Kid

It seems like self defense is practically illegal in canada. :frowning2: I think we are allowed to open carry a knife though.

Anyone have any ideas for me? :/

6. Yosia

Sometimes works ^.^

[​IMG]

7. Techno Kid

:lol:
    If I did that the guy would probably grab me and throw me to the ground.

8. BelleFromHell

Is pepper spray illegal in Canada, too? If it is, you can just take a small perfume spray bottle and fill it up with hot sause.

Keep it in your pocket, and if someone gets in your personal space, SPRAY 'EM!

9. Techno Kid

If you are using it for self defense it is. Your attacker could potentially sue you for spraying them... so I feel like a perfume spray bottle would have the same problem. :frowning2:

You can get bear spray, but you could not use it for self defense against a person.

10. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Tasers all round? :slight_smile:

11. Yosia

shocking idea~

Sorry i just had too XD

12. BelleFromHell

What about self-defense/martial arts classes?

13. Techno Kid

I should look into them. :slight_smile:

14. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    pepper spray and handguns are not allowed for self defense purposes in Canada. in theory they are but you will never get a Authorization to Carry for self defense and pepper spray is prohibited though bear spray isn't you will be charged with possession of a prohibited weapon if you use it on a human, even an animal like a rapist.:tantrum:

improvised weapons and weapons of opportunity would be your best bet up here. wish the hell we had something like the second amendment.:bang:

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 08:07 PM ----------

there as a guy in Toronto who did something like this and was charged with "administering a noxious substance" based on the specific circumstances of this case i believe he was acquitted.

15. juliegt6

Be careful what you wish for! The second amendment is a double edged sword (btw we are allowed most swords here lol ) and you'll have idiots open carrying ar15/sks/ak47 at Timmy Hos.

I do wish you had more efficient self defense options in Canada. Are things like retractable batons allowed? The mace not being allowed seems so weird to me. The weapon I posted is a full size combat pistol and other than being harder to conceal, it's fully legal.

16. Kat 5

Actually, you want them to know that you have a weapon. Extreme discouragement tactic.

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Well, as I mentioned, I'm not really a gun girl. Moreover, I favor small, clutch-sized handbags, so no way something like that is going to fit, unless I leave my keys, cellphone, wallet, lipstick, compact, etc., at home, which is to say, no way. :lol:

Now we're talking. :thumbsup: Just looked this up and I can maybe get away with tucking this into my handbag, as backup if nothing else.

I have a Bass Pro Shop only a few miles from my job. I'm going to stop in during lunch this week and see if they have this. :eusa_clap

Yeah, had I had any experience being out as a female prior to this past Thursday night, I probably would have thought of asking one or two of the other girls to walk me to my car. A rather burly gentleman happened to walk out of the restaurant at the same time as me, and although he ended up heading in a different direction, it raised a few non-existent hairs on the back of my neck turning my back toward him to walk to my car. Had I been with the girls, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. So noting this one down for the future.

The cellphone idea also sounds good. Gotta try to remember to enable my cellphone flash before I leave the public venue next time and have it in my hand as I walk out. (Although with handbag in one hand and cell in the other, doesn't leave me much room for keys or a quick grab for the pepper spray/push dagger. :confused:)

Heavens, all 130 lbs. of me as a weapon. Run and flee, hairy beast muggers of the world. :lol:

Then again, e=mc2, so maybe you could teach me some fast moves. :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 31st May 2014 at 07:30 PM ----------

Good point.

18. Kat 5

Wear a shirt saying: I have a gun. Don't try anything funny.

19. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    collapsible batons are prohibited for all except Law enforcement.
    i wouldn't care if a guy was carrying a long gun in Tims as long as i have a defense tool as well and if most have them the chances of a moron trying something is greatly diminished. More guns really does equal less crime

20. juliegt6

Being known as armed isn't necessarily a good thing either! An attacker can work to seize the weapon, or attack you first out of a group to neutralize the threat.

I actually carry that on my body. There are holsters like thunderwear that can conceal a full frame pistol on you. I'm 5'10" and I'm losing weight but even at my lightest in my low one forties, I was able to conceal this.

Since you're not a gun girl, I'd look into pepper spray and a retractable baton. LINK