1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Miley comes out as genderqueer

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by HikaruStop, Aug 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm talking about extremist cisphobes. i've seen groups of people who just want to get rid of gender as a whole-no more men or women or whatever.

2. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are these extreme cisphobes (not even sure that's a word) people you've physically seen in your area, or are these people who exist on *.tumblr.com?

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, you can't really take some people on tumblr seriously. I for one believe in the breakdown of gender roles, not gender itself. There's a big difference.

4. blaziken25

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for her I say.

5. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Both. i've known a few people like that at school and on tumblr.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So, can you walk me through this extreme cisphobia and what it looks like?

The reason I'm asking is that transgender people are some of the most marginalized and shit on people in all of western society, so I really look forward to hearing about this terrible oppressive behavior some of us are engaged in. I even have the appropriate 1/8 violin to play on this occasion.

#46 Pret Allez, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  7. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This gender queer folk I know often talks about how we should get rid of boys and girls and just non-binary. I can't say I recall much of what he's said because a few months after their constant rants I just got up and left.

8. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And theoretical discussions about abolition of the gender binary equate to violent transphobia? Getting rid of the binarism in society doesn't mean, or result in, any harm being done to binary-identified people. Transphobia sure as hell means harm being done to trans people.

#48 Maddy, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ok, you lost me.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    DanDan, I think you know perfectly well what Maddy meant. She meant to criticize the idea that theoretical discussions of abolition of the gender binary equates to cisphobia. Her observation, which is quite correct, is that getting rid of binarism does not harm binary people, and it certainly doesn't harm cisgender people like you. Transphobia, on the other hand, does cause harm to people like her girlfriend, and me, and many of the trans and genderqueer people of this community.

Overall, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed in the lack of empathy being displayed by many folks in this thread. I would invite you to spend more time in "Gender Identity and Expression" as well as the "Anonymous Discussions" subforums to understand the depth of the vulnerability that transgender and genderqueer people in our own community are feeling around their own gender, their lack of confidence and certainty therein, and discussions like this actively undermine the supportive environment we are trying to create and sustain for them.

Think about it. If you're a young trans person, especially who has difficulty passing, or who doesn't experience constant crippling dysphoria, you might have a lot of uncertainty and worries about whether or not your "trans enough" to deserve support. That's a shitty, vulnerable position to be in, and we need Empty Closets to be the kind of place where people are going to feel safe to voice this kind of a concern. But, a disquieting amount of the time, people feel like it's somehow appropriate for them to pass judgement on the legitimacy of another person's gender. This thread is a referendum on whether or not Miley is genderqueer. Do we seriously think that the people who don't feel safe to come out as trans, or genderqueer, even here on EC, don't internalize this kind of discussion and feel hurt by it?

Just food for thought.

~ Adrienne

#50 Pret Allez, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  11. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So me liking binary items makes me the bad guy, huh? I

And please try to understand why we are so skeptical of Miley. The Robin thick performance, the gentital rubbing on stage at a concert, wrecking ball- ALLfor attention.
    She's like the boy who cried wolf. Food for thought.

#51 DanDan, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why do these actions detract from her credibility?

Are they directly related to the matter at hand?

Why do they deserve the implied censure in the first place?

Why is a performing artist not permitted to differentiate publicity moves from personal moves which are made public? Can she not publicise personal things and be believed, regardless of whether the action was taken with or without the consideration of public attention?

#52 Aussie792, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
  13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

You can be skeptical of her identity, but that does not mean that you have to degrade it, and be transphobic towards it. It also does not mean that you have to equate all attacks on the binary as cisphobia.

There is a lot more going on in your posts than just being skeptical of her identity.

14. Lazuri

I'm just gonna go right out and ask this: why the fuck are you not a higher rank such as an advisor on this site? Seriously, it vexes me.

15. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because she does it all for attention. Celebreties do it all the time. People do these kind of things. Its not far fetched. If Miley truly is genderqueer, then power to her. I just wouldnt be surprised if it was false.
    In terms of her innapropriate behavior (oversexualized performances", come on, its just wrong and lacking morals. I know a lot of you hate morality because its "a social construct" and limits some things, but its not an evil thing. You cant always do what you want.

---------- Post added 20th Aug 2015 at 04:46 PM ----------

Please directly quote where I'm being transphobic.
    For fucks sake, this is almost as riduculous as the time I was called heterophobic for speaking out against the whole "F*ck her right in the p*ssy" meme.

16. Lazuri

Is she harming anybody? No? Then where's the goddamn problem?

17. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just peoples mentality. Like seriously, kids learn from these kind of things.our youth is becoming more and more sexualized, and not in a positive way.

18. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forget for a moment that Miley is a celebrity. Have you considered the fact that a lot of her seeking attention may very well have to do with struggles related to gender identity? I know *I* did some really stupid stuff when coming to terms with my own issues. Above all else Miley is a human being. You don't have to buy into the media presentation of Miley but at the very least respect another human being. No matter what the issue is, crying out for attention almost always means something is going on. It's easy to assume the worst.

19. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hun, if I wanted to express and promote my sexuality, I would look for productive ways of doing so, not just opening my legs.humans make mistakes, yes, but we have to learn from them. I cant punch a stranger, say "oops, i made a mistake", and then go punch another stranger.

20. Aldrick

I don't find anything wrong with her performances that I have seen. I also don't have a problem with overt displays of sexuality, which is natural. Are you saying that I am evil, wrong, and lacking morals? What do you mean that we can't always do what we want? Who is going to stop us? You? Under what authority do you have to pass judgement, and why should we care?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.