1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Members' Cars

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Re: Jim1454's New Car

Agreed - I'll rename it.

2. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    im still to young to drive and have a car but my Dad has a holden commodore.:sunglasses:

3. Kimi

I already have my car but not with me...It's in my uncle's grage.
    I can't wait to drive that car(!)

4. Blamblazer

Blamblazer Guest

5. 94nat

Our family car is a 4WD.

6. ampthejazz

I drive a Toyota Camry.

It's actually being fixed right now, because a couple weeks ago, I was driving at night to my friend's house a couple towns away, and I hit a deer. I wasn't going very fast, because I had just turned onto a street and was only just beginning to accelerate before I slammed on the brakes. Little fucker ran out of nowhere, and scared me senseless. I didn't kill it though. It was probably the scariest experience of my life.

7. Double Dubya

This has been my pride and joy ever since I bought it at 14
    [​IMG]
    But if I'm not working it I drive a Chrysler Concorde xli

#27 Double Dubya, Apr 16, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  8. xequar

Ah, my beautiful Doombox... Flip the seats up, throw the bikes in the back, and away I go! (!)

[​IMG]

9. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    wow, that is a nice car, you must be rich :grin:

10. William1

I'm too young to drive for nearly another 4 years, but I love cars.

My mum drives a BMW 530i and everyone says it is a great car. In fact Autocar magazine described the BMW 5 series as 'the best saloon car in the world' (dunno if that's true though).

My uncle has a BMW M5 which has over 500bhp and it blows my mum's 5 series into the weeds. He took me around the Nordschlieffe last year, and we beat a guy in an 8 litre Dodge Viper who was really trying. That car was fast and we could only just keep ahead of him along the straight bits, but we just left him through the bends.

In answer to the guy who asked, I never saw any American cars at all in the UK or in Europe, and I don't see any in Australia. According to the European car mags, American cars are fast, with big engines, but they suck at everything else, and are very badly made. So maybe that's why they don't sell anywhere outside the USA or Canada. I dunno, that's just what I read, so don't attack me. :lol:

11. GoodOlMe

Well I'm 17 and still dont have a car, this partialy has to do because I dont have my license yet. The reason is because I procrastinated so long to get it from the dmv the new law they passed applies to me now, so I have to wait another 5 months :frowning2:
    But this summer I'm gettin a loan and I'm thinkin of gettin a 92 Suzukie bullet bike, not sure on which one though, but I LOVE bikes. They are so sexy, fast, and really good gas mileage hee hee

12. Kimi

Wow:eek: Your family must be very rich...
    My dad bought a BMW 530i just a week ago it's gonna be next sunday when it's in our grage. I must say it's a nice car.
    He wanted to buy a M5 however, I knew it's way over his budget so he didn't I mean we are not rich enough to buy a over $100000 car:dry:
    And about the American car thing that you were talking about...
    I pretty much agree with you...

Oh don't attack me please:eusa_pray

#32 Kimi, Apr 17, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2007
  13. Double Dubya

I'm far from rich, just a very hard worker. Rich people get to ride in limousines, I just get to drive one :dry:

14. William1

Hey no, my dad died when I was little and I think I'm the poorest boy at my school.

It's funny coz people think we are rich, just coz we live in a big house set on lots of land in the UK. But they don't know the house is like nearly 300 years old and bits of it are falling down, and we can't afford to have it fixed. Its been in our family since the 1700s and there's bits like even the staff don't go into coz it's dangerous.

And for me personally, I get very little 'pocket money' and I have to save up for ages for a new skateboard or computer games.

My uncle who is a QC, is quite rich though. Like he has three houses - one in london near his chambers, and anothet in kent, near us, and another one in France, where he goes for holidays.
    And he's got loads of vintage cars as well as his M5. So maybe I should be a barrister when I grow up. :lol:

15. Kimi

I'm sorry to hear about your dad(*hug*)
    Hmm...but I don't if you are poor...I mean you might be the poorest boy in your school but I'm thinking people around you are super rich so you don't realize that you are richer than average people like me:wink:
    You make me wanna be a barrister too...I mean if I could have that car, then I'm ready for anything:grin:

16. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people consider people who have "staff" on their estates, no matter how dilapidated, as "rich." :slight_smile:

So if it's been in your family since the 1700s, you're basically members of the nobility, right? Like Lord or Lady such and such? That's cool!

I went to private school here in Canada and most of the other guys who went were super-rich, as in some people's families owned small nations in Africa kind of rich, so it was an interesting experience for me because I was there on full scholarship and bussed to school each day from my parents' pretty modest townhouse (like not even a detached house) in the suburbs. No one at school overtly flaunted their money at me but there were the occasional things I had trouble explaning to some of them, like how my family didn't vacation in Europe or Hawaii each break or how we didn't have the latest electronic gadget (at the time laserdisc players were brand new and like thousands of dollars and some of my friends didn't really understand that I couldn't get one, or have the newest kind of computer, etc.). Or how we didn't have very new cars and certainly not luxury ones.

Anyway, it made me realise how lucky I was and that even though I was pretty poor by most of my classmates' standards, I still had WAY more than other people.

17. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    Well I feel a little cheeky here because I drive two cars:

My own personal car of choice is a Ford Focus Sport 1.6 Turbo Diesel in black, athough for the most part that stays on the drive at home since i'm privilleged enough to have a company car. Albeit a 1.4 Ford Fiesta.

18. William1

Hey, thanks for that, but honestly, we aren't rich. Like I know boys at my school who are really rich, but we aren't. My dad was just an officer in the Guards, so he didn't make heaps of money. Like he was pretty senior and commanded a brigade but you don't get paid a lot in the Royal Army.

So the kids at my school whose dads are bankers and lawyers and own companies have loads more money than us. Oh well!

19. William1

No my dad wasn't an hereditory peer. He was just Sir William *********** and my mum is Lady **********, cos he was a Knight Commander of the Order of St.Michael & St.George. I don't get any title, so I am just plain old Willie, LOL! :lol: My family is an old one, so the house gets passed down to each generation. I'm an only child so I guess I get it when my mum dies. We have to have a staff coz it's pretty big and the grounds need people to look after them too.

Oh and I know what it is like not to have as much money as the other boys at school. I'm not on a scholarship but my schooling costs over 20,000 pounds a year, and my mum can only just afford that. I'm on exchange from Winchester College, so even though the fees are different here, my mum still pays the fees to Winchester. So there's not that much left over for things like overseas trips, but my uncle took me with him when he went on a world trip last year. He's a nice guy and he's very good to me, and he's my mum's younger brother and a lot of fun to be with. Like he's 30, but he still enjoys doing fun things. And I love going in his cars, especially the vintage ones. So I'm not rich but I guess I'm lucky. :eusa_danc

20. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I normally ride this bad boy home from collage every day:
    [​IMG]

Below is images of my ride that I use to get to work where I'm currently living because public transportation doesn't exist. I like driving, I just don't like the worries that go along with car ownership.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Qu: My parents used to have a '81 Camaro Berlinetta that looked quite similar to yours. I like that design MUCH better than when GM squared it off later in the 80s.

jayden: I like the look of the commodore. Unfortunately here in North America most of what GM puts out these days is zzzzzzzzzz.

ampthejazz: I hit a deer once. I was driving along the freeway, and I saw him in the middle of the road, so I slammed on the brakes, and scrubbed off most of my speed, but as I got closer I knew I wouldn't stop in time so I eased onto the paved shoulder. Just as I was passing, the deer decides to turn around and ran into the side of the car. The deer ran away and there wasn't any damage to the car.

Willie: A lot of car magazines here love to hate American cars too. The concers you listed isn't true of all models.

On the other hand, everyone seems to think European cars are a lot better 'refined' 'better handling', etc. However, and there's data that will back this up, they are no better than American cars for reliability, BUT unlike American car parts, the parts for European cars are unbelievably expensive over here, and I'd suspect likewise with American car parts in Europe. As well they cost more for initial purchase. And not even big fancy Mercedes or anything, even a VW Golf or Jetta.