1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married and questioning

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by SoulSearch, Mar 7, 2018.

1. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,
    This is my first post on Empty Closets and I'm a little nervous about being here because it's admitting to myself that questioning my sexuality isn't going to go away (I've tried!).

I recently realized I'm not straight. I'm in my 40s and have been with my husband since I was 16. I have always found women attractive and I've had a few short-lived crushes on women, but I never gave it much thought until a few months ago. Now it's all I can think about. I feel trapped in my current life, but giving it up scares me. Even joining this forum terrifies me, but I feel like I could use some support as I work through my feelings.

I'm struggling most right now with whether I should tell my husband that I'm questioning my sexuality. I'm not sure I want to leave my marriage - it's not bad, but we have been living more as roommates and co-parents than romantic partners for years. We have a six-year-old and the thought of splitting up our family breaks my heart.

For those of you who have been in this situation, or are in it now, do you have any advice? Did you tell your spouse? How did it go? Did you stay married?

BiBarefeet and New2gquest like this.
  2. CuriousKitty16

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Be true to yourself. There’s nothing easy about breaking up a family, but staying this way is also hard.

SoulSearch likes this.
  3. fvpa01

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Welcome aboard.

I’m a man in my 40s that was living the straight life, and I too was scared as all hell to join and post here when I began. It was admitting way more than I wanted to admit to myself. It’s a step in the right direction though. Just being able to voice what’s on my mind and hear from others has been worth its weight in gold. It’s given me the courage to come out to family and one friend so far, and to have a glimpse of a future where I can be what I want. I think you’ll see it has many benefits. So again, welcome.

I don’t have kids at home or a spouse, so I can’t help you with advice there. I just want to share something about keeping a family together for the sake of kids that may give you something to think about: I have two sets of friends, both started dating during college and then got married and had kids. Both couples fell out of love along the way but stayed together for the kids. And finally both ended up divorcing once the kids themselves left for college. Neither marriage was by any means awful, just not loving.

Both couple’s grown children have recently told them the same things. That they grew up happy, but with a skewed idea of what husband/wife love was based on what they saw at home. The kids all picked up on the fact that their parents didn’t act the same way towards one another that their friends’ parents did. In hindsight the kids all wished that their parents would’ve moved on years ago so the kids could’ve seen them happier. Basically the kids felt more guilty and sad than grateful that their parents stuck it out and missed a decade of what could’ve been happiness of their own.

I know, everyobe’s situations are unique, and this might not fit in yours at all, I just wanted to share that sometimes what parents do in the best interest of their kids turns out not to be best in the big picture.

I’m sure some others will have good advice with very similar situations. Good luck.

New2gquest likes this.
  4. Dodds

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in same situation I'm 38 been married 12 year got 2 children and i admitted to myself a few months ago om gay. Im not ready to tell my husband and upset the family so for now I'm staying wit him but it's hard so i feel your pain

Limiteded, New2gquest and SoulSearch like this.
  5. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, it is hard. I don't even know what it's like to live my truth though.

6. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, fvpa01 - I'm glad you are finding your courage and your path through this to your authentic self. And you are right that it's possible this isn't the best atmosphere for my child. I grew up in a family where there was no affection shown and maybe that's a small part of how I ended up in the same situation. I had a stable childhood and I knew my parents loved me, but I don't know if they love each other (in more than a roommate and life partner sort of way). There wasn't much open communication and I still can't talk to them. Thinking of having to tell them I'm leaving my marriage is part of what makes this so hard.

New2gquest likes this.
  7. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, sounds like we're in the same boat. As I understand, it's not uncommon. It's hard to jump ship, isn't it? And then I start worrying that I'm not actually gay - that I'm just incapable of enjoying sex. If that's the case, there's no point in leaving a "perfectly satisfactory" marriage. Sigh. Around and around I go.

Kit2018 and New2gquest like this.
  8. azzi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi. I'm 33 years old, was married for 8 years, and finally found the courage to divorce my exhusband. The divorce was just granted recently and I felt relieved that it's finally done. I'm bisexual, but has feelings more for women. I didnt tell my ex about who I really am as I dont see the reason to do so. Plus I'm still closeted anyway. I guess I just dont want him or other people saying that I was gay that's why I divorced him. That could be one of my reasons but not the major one.

New2gquest and SoulSearch like this.
  9. Dodds

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive questioned if i am 100 per cent gay or just don't like sex but im more relaxed wit female company and i have feelings for another woman shes stight so i know nothing will come of it.

10. Dodds

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ive just got to find a way to make it ok for now so please feel free to talk to me if struggling we could help each other x

11. Cassey

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I stayed married for years...it became unfair to both of us.. same story almost... I finalef broke away and even though I am not In a Relationship... I am Happy
    I Love ME first time ever
    Never told Ex

12. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you have to take any journey a step at a time, the first step I would imagine is to acknowledge the attraction to the same sex, the next step perhaps accept that part of who you are, maybe step three is to tell you partner or husband or come out to a friend, I don't think you can really plan the steps that are far in the future until you have worked on those closer to home. Everyone's journey will be different but lots will have similarities. I think most important is listening to your inner voice and what it is telling you.

13. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I LOVE that you are loving yourself. I have an on-again, off-again relationship with myself. Right now, I don't like who I am. Thank you for sharing. I'd love to get to happy some day. :slight_smile:

14. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey SoulSearch -- yeah, there are a bunch of us here in the same boat! This is an amazingly supportive site -- you've come to the right place. Everyone's circumstances are special, and you're in the driver's seat for yours. For me, just communicating with other people has been immensely helpful, and I realized I didn't need to rush into anything. I have been more open and honest here on Empty Closets than anytime or anywhere else in my life. I came out to my wife 20-some years ago, but it was awkward and uncomfortable and we eventually just sort of dropped the topic. I have been faithful to my wife, but the gay urges are still there, and always have been. Through meditation and introspection, I've come to realize the damage done by keeping the "secret". I'm still figuring it out. I'm not sure our marriage is strong enough to withstand me being totally honest (we have 4 kids, youngest being 9 years old) but I'm also not sure our marriage is strong enough to withstand NOT being totally honest.
    Please keep posting!
    =Sevn

SoulSearch likes this.
  15. pasinhose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You present the toughest situation of all. Like others above who have posted, ....wow, there is no easy response or magic bullet of a suggestion. Having observed many marriages from friends where it just is not going to happen and never will, the toughest pill to swallow is the honesty pill. It comes down to management. Can you manage how you feel vs how you want to evolve? I say this knowing full well a child is part of all this and their future well being and self-confidence is paramount. If you can manage your feelings, stay married but distant. If not or you can't, well.....you have to move on. Again, we all have sympathy. Of course most of us are gay and lesbian so we side with going that way but I do realize its not something cut and dried. Keep communicating. We are here for you.

SoulSearch likes this.
  16. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks, @Sevn. I’m sorry you are still struggling too. I took the first step last night of telling my husband that I’m unhappy. It was hard and strange and I’m not sure it will change much. But at least he won’t be totally blindsided if I’m ready to open up more later.

Thank you for sharing your story and understanding.

17. Dodds

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well done you its a start. At least he knows u r not happy

SoulSearch likes this.
  18. SoulSearch

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you for the support. Married but distant is sort of what I’ve been doing and it works for the most part except I feel guilty for hiding an important part of myself. I’ve started watching lesbian movies and listening to different widemusic and following different publications on Twitter and even presenting myself different physically. I am drawn to the lgbt community. So ... playing the perfect wife and mother role is hard right now. I did talk to my husband about being unhappy, but it didn’t feel right to bring up the, oh and by the way, I think I’m gay, piece of it. I did tell him I’m making an appointment with a therapist.
    Thanks for the support. Can I manage how I feel vs. how I want to evolve? is the million dollar question here, I think. I've been managing OK for a few years, but it's only recently that I've realized that my attraction to women is more than just a lingering thought every once in awhile. I'm worried that even if I leave my marriage I'll continue to be unfulfilled, so that's what I'm struggling with.

19. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    SoulSearch, you said that so well! Maybe I'm just making this all up! That's the self-doubt creeping in on me, or maybe bargaining with myself for an easy way out.

SoulSearch likes this.
  20. Peterpangirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I would recommend thinking about any attractions you have had over the years and also look honestly at any current attractions. Who do you feel drawn to most...men or women or both?? Do you get a feeling around particular women that you want to be around them and get to know them well? Do you want just one on one time with certain women? Do you notice and feel drawn to watch women's quirks...their smile...the way she moves etc and wish to recall those individual quirks in your minds eye? Do you ever get such feelings for certain men? For me when I was questioning I recall a woman who serves in a local shop bending over and realising that I was thinking "Nice bottom" as opposed to "nice jeans"! . Also I wanted to do stuff to a particular woman I had very strong feelings for...stuff that I had never wanted to do to anyone else...and I would've done anything (bar harming others) to give that woman pleasure.

SweetT80 and BiBarefeet like this.