1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac or PC?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by AgentS, Oct 19, 2010.

1. djt820

Well, in my opinion, Macs are super overpriced hipster computers. Let's look at how they are:
    Let's say we have a PC with a Intel i5, 1TB harddrive, Decent ATI GPU, and decent sound card on a good mobo. We're probably looking to spend around $700-$900. Now, let's take the same specs, put an Apple case on it and install OSX. We're looking at a MUCH higher price. And considering how OSX is close-sourced, this is not worth the money at all. OSX has limitations such as playing games. There are a very small number of modern (or any) games you can play on a Mac. You're basically paying for the product name, just like you're paying for a pair of Bose headphones. The ONLY reason I'd see using OSX is for Mac-specific Video editing or music production programs. But again, you can dual-boot on a PC if need be. So there's no reason to use OSX. But wait, there's this "NO VIRUSES" claim, which is absurd. Any computer can get a virus if you're stupid enough to get one. The only reason why Macs supposedly don't get viruses is because the demographic of Mac users are much lower so in result, less hackers spend time trying to infiltrate a Mac. But they do exist. But in reality, if you have half a brain, you wont get a virus. I'm running a PC with no anti-virus or anti-spyware and haven't had a problem.

This is how I see it. But I'll give Steve Jobs credit. He really knows how to get rich.

2. MaxLinden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PC because I like that its more complex.... Plus, I'm use too using Sony Vegas.... Not going to the way to easy Mac Video editing programs.... Thanks!

3. VampConspiracy

As far as the basic operating system software is concerned, Mac is based on a Unix-like structure. I will not deny that *nix is nice.

Then comes the relative lack of nice software for Mac, especially games.

Add to that the problems with hardware customization, and a computer enthusiast such as I is left with a lustrous white brick.

If the hardware was more customizable and more big-name companies wrote software for it, there may be more of a motivation for me to get a Mac. I shall stick with my PC for now, since that platform actually has software I use on a daily basis.