1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lost in dark thoughts TW: Suicidal ideation

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Saskia96, Sep 24, 2023.

1. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The last few days this feeling returned which I can only describe as an internal pain that feels like it will only go away if I end things. Today I was alone in my thoughts and drifted to my two suicide attempts (if you can call that). They were both some years in the past and the reason I'm still here is that my fear of the nothingness after death overcame the feeling to kill myself. I tried to distract me from this feeling but so far with little success. I hope writing this and getting it off my chest will help me feel better.

2. Danielle1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I am not a therapist and still deal with a lot of mental issues myself.

Whenever I feel suicidal, I always find the main culprit to be hopelessness. It feels like no matter you do nothing will get better ever, so why bother?
    The best way I found to combat this is to latch on to a glimmer of hope. Something to suggest I’ll be better in the future. I don’t know your life and what you go through, but think thoroughly about how you can improve your future. It seems like you might struggle with your own gender identity, so maybe think about how you can slowly resolve this. Taking small steps seems to help.

Again, I’m not a therapist, but maybe you can improve your future to be better <3

Keller, Saskia96 and Rayland like this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have found talking helps, so you can always send me a PM or talk here in the forum. It's definetly worse, if you keep bottling stuff in. I know this from my own experience. Warmest hugs your way and know you're not alone. Also self help lines might help too. Don't be afraid to call them to reach out.

chicodeoro and Saskia96 like this.
  4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I am sorry to read that you are experiencing a feeling of hopelessness. While it might seem that way at the moment, you have it within you to work towards the life you would like to have, including being yourself.

As Rayland suggested talking, and/or writing our your thoughts can help. It is a good outlet so that your thoughts don't continue to build up. If you feel that talking with someone could help, Mental Health Europe has links to several support lines listed on their website. There are a couple of support lines listed for Germany.

Aside from EC, do you have anyone that you could trust and confide in?

Saskia96 likes this.
  5. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you're going trough this. Please, by all means feel free to pour out what is on your heart and remember, you are not alone.
    As an old friend of mine said once, it's hard to see the future when the present is murk... But it will not always be like this. As long as you are alive, there always will be options and even the smallest of steps will bring you forwards.

Best wishes and warm hugs, sister!

Saskia96 likes this.
  6. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all for the help.
    I'll safe that page for the future, but at the moment i'm not comfortable with talking to a person i don't know. Its an issue i always have. Writing here is a bit different, because threads aren't directed towards someone specific, so being here helps a lot already.

At the moment I do not have someone outside EC who I can confide in talking about these things.

Thank you <3

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad to know that writing out your thoughts here on EC and being part of the community, is already helping. Feel free to write out as much you would like or need to. We are here for you. (*hug*)

Saskia96 likes this.
  8. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey all. Sorry to revive an old thread, but my thoughts are starting to go darker again.

Basically I was alone with my thoughts for too long again and started thinking about what would happen if I came out today.

It's very likely that I will not be able to dtay in contact with my family. I'm stilll most afraid from the fact that my mom will no longer support me because she would see me as an "it".

From the few friends I have all but two will for sure distance themselves from me. One of the other two may be a friend I know since kindergarten and always had a good relationship with, but I still don't know his view on transpeople. he had said once that some of my views are "too woke". The other is someone i met because of online gaming, I have seen him only once in person a few years ago at gamescom. He is friends too with the first friend.

And I may have to leave my job. There are many conservative and some transohibic people working there. Our customers are rich businesspeople, i would guess the majority of them would be conservative too. I would be very uncomfortable at least when they would speak to me on telephone and I would say to them in my masculine sounding voice that I want to be adressed as a woman now.

9. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sorry to that you're going through such an uncertain time. Coming out can be a difficult and emotional process, and it's natural to have concerns about how others will react. It's important to prioritize your own well-being and mental health during this process. Remember that there are supportive communities and resources available to help you navigate these challenges. Consider seeking guidance and support from LGBTQ+ organizations, therapists, or support groups. It's essential to surround yourself with people who accept and respect you for who you are. I'm gradually coming out to people who seem to be supportive. People can really suprise you. Hugs your way.

10. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm very uncomfortable with speaking about myself and my issues in person (or on the telephone). Also I'm kinda too scared to go to a therapist or some group or organization on my own.

It would be better for my mental health if I had a freind who supports me as a transwoman and who I could talk to about things. But I'm standing in my own way to get to know someone. It's nearly impossible for me to go to someone I don't know and introduce myself or get to know them better. The Friends that I have are only my friends because they started talking to me, and I can't be sure if they would be allies If I came out to them.

11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We'll were always here to listen. I know it's not the same, but you can talk about what worries you and we'll do our best to help you out. :slight_smile: You can make friends here from all over the world too, who understand what you're going through. Take baby steps.

mnguy likes this.
  12. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I know people are here who will listen to my ramblings and want to help me, and I am grateful for that.
    But sometimes its hard for me to even bring the thougts that bother me to words. I would log on here and wanting to start a thread to get help or advice, but I will just stare at the empty page and close it again after a while.

13. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know that feeling. You want to vent, but have no idea what to write or how to start. It's okay then to start even writing that you have no idea what to write, but describe the best you can how you feel, the words will come out themselves and before you know it you have written a novel. At least this is my experience.

mnguy, Saskia96 and Keller like this.
  14. Keller

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry to hear that you’re having a hard time. I can relate to much of what you’ve wrote, but I don’t think I could give much advice, besides, what I could come up with would be pretty similar to what Rain wrote already.

If you have a hard time writing down what you want to say, maybe don’t think about it much, just type whatever comes to your mind - let your hands lead the process, not your mind, you can always edit it later. There was a term for this, stream of consciousness or something like that… It’s not a surefire way, but it seems to help more often than not.

Warm hugs to you, sister!

mnguy, Rayland and Saskia96 like this.
  15. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's kinda the way I already write.
    My problem is that I try to write down a feeling that I really can't put into words.
    A Feeling of sadness and/or suffering that makes me wish there was a simple trick to make it go away. Of course that's not how it works.
    And when I think about these things too long, I arrive that theres only one solution to relieve me from my pain.

16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Right now it would be the best, if you could reach out at least to a mental health professional. It's okay to have difficult emotions, and it's essential to treat yourself with the same compassion you would offer to a friend. Meditation and mindfulness can help you stay present and reduce the impact of negative thoughts. Regular physical activity can release endorphins, which are natural mood lifters. Even a short walk can make a difference. Maintain a balanced diet, get adequate sleep, and manage stress through relaxation techniques like yoga or deep breathing exercises. It would be good to minimize exposure to negative people, news, or media that can trigger or reinforce negative thoughts. Right now your negative thoughts come from thinking about coming out and it's impacts, what are all normal to fear, but also anxiety sometimes can elevate the bad feelings and negative thoughts and make it all seem much worse than it really is. Often, negative thoughts are based on irrational beliefs. Replace negative thoughts with positive affirmations. Repeat these affirmations regularly to counteract negative self-talk. Hobbies can help you distract yourself too and break down your long-term goals into smaller, manageable steps. Achieving these smaller goals can boost your self-esteem and reduce negative thinking. Picture yourself in a positive scenario or achieving your goals. Visualization can help you create a more positive mindset and most of all take time for self-care activities that you enjoy, such as taking a bath, going for a walk, or treating yourself to a favorite treat.

JT1999 and Saskia96 like this.
  17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you are going through all of this but take that one solution off the table for now please. I want a simple trick too, hoped medication would allow some relief, and I think it still can, but takes time to find the right ones. Do you have some moments that you enjoy? Sounds like the issues come from other people potentially being jackasses about the real you and that hurts so deeply, which is normal to feel this way. It pisses me off that people would treat you or any of us badly for being ourselves so then we suffer being forced into a box we don't fit. Are you very specialized at work so you can't leave or can you get another job with people who will welcome you as your real self? Some areas of Germany must have people who will welcome you so how can you get there? I hope you can get help so you feel hopeful and not hating each day.

18. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Moments that I enjoy are mostly playng guitar or bass either alone or in a band or driving my car at night over long distances. I can distract myself sometimes while playing video games.

leaving work wouldn't be a problem, but finding a new place to work. I was jobless tow times and in both instances it took me about a year to find a new job. Not because I dont search a new job but becaused of the job interviews. I would always get invited, so I have at least one per week, but always get rejected.(Apart from the two times I got a job.) In some cases it's because lacking experience, but always its because social anxiety and lacking social skills. I would always be extremely nervous, can't look anyone in the eye and giving only very short answers. I would be unable to answer even the easiest questions.

There are LGBTQ+ friendly palces/ares in germany, but its mostly in the big cities and I cant afford to live there. I live in a more rural and conservative area.

19. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, the anxiety is so hard, how about treatments for it? Not saying you move today but it's a future goal if you want, but first need reduced anxiety so you can get a new job and save money. Work two jobs if you can and save a lot. Start your own business, cleaning cars or homes or lots of ways people can be their own boss and work your way into whatever you enjoy doing and make bank.

20. Saskia96

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm not a competitive person at all and running my own business clearly isn't a thing for me. I dont't have skills i could offer and things like finance management and customer aquisition or marketing myself are all far from things i like or am good at.

A secound job isn't an option because I already work 40 hours a week and that's stressful already for me.