1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lent

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RAJ Aladdin, Feb 15, 2010.

1. thevre

K, not to seem like a total bitch, but if you're not religious/don't give a shit about Lent, good for you. But seriously... "I'm giving up religion, I'm giving up giving things up", etc. etc. is just incredibly obnoxious, and you're not cute. Lent obviously wasn't made for you, so you really don't have to ridicule the people who actually are serious about trying to better themselves in some way or another, whether it be for the sake of religion or not. It just seems to me like the equivalent of staring in the window of a weight watchers program and eating a Big Mac- you just don't. And for the love of humanity the overused "I'm going to say I'm giving up so-and-so to make me sound like a total rebel" just gets old. I'm sure you could have gone the rest of your life without the pointless redundant satire.

OK I'm done.

2. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like this, but I didn't have the balls to say it. :slight_smile:

3. Dewey

I agree with thevre. If your not religious, and you don't have anything meaningful to say, you don't need to comment. I, myself, am not religious, but lent actually seems like a good holiday to celebrate. Is it a catholic one? I think I'm going to start celebrating it just to better myself. ^^

4. mm91

Lent is actually Christian tradition with varying traditions within denominations. I don't think all denominations partake in Lent though.

5. RAJ Aladdin

RAJ Aladdin Guest

Specifically, yes it is a Catholic one but NOT Christian. that is saying NOT to be confused with Christian meaning Protestant- it's Christian meaning under the umbrella term of Christian denomination. Just clarifying if anyone is confused. :slight_smile:

----------

I know this is a terrible thing to say but I gave up on my own thread because everyone seemed to treat it as a joke and religion bash and so to stop depressing myself I stopped reading the comments. I 100%, genuinely, started this thread as a point of genuine interest but people started treating it as farce and it broke my heart. But thank you, as one poster said, having the guts to call these people out on their shit! Yeah, I said shit! I wish I could be as brave as you sometimes :slight_smile: Please, be RESPECTFUL of religion whether you agree with it or not...

6. RaeofLite

MmMmmm... Lentils.

..oh you mean Lent? I think I'm too selfish to give up some things like intimacy and chocolate... maybe I'll just drive less (and be nice to the atmosphere?)

And honestly to the original poster. I find awesome how you're able to give up things so easily. I wish I could do it more often. ><

7. mm91

I said Christian because denominations like Greek Orthodox and Anglicans also have traditions for Lent (which I'm actually unaware of what exactly these are)....Not sure how many others do and how many others don't. That's why I used "Christian" :slight_smile:

But really.....I think you confused me :lol: