1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Legends

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gaetan, Dec 16, 2010.

1. BudderMC

Executioner Mundo! I played with one earlier today and thought of this immediately.

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh dear, I just found the common element in my choices... I mainly play Veigar, who's pink. I have a fondness for Malzahar, who's pink. New guy Varus, who I'll probablly buy with my huge stash of banked IP... pink! (And bare-chested, which doesn't hurt :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

I always thought I was less obvious than that :wink:

3. sanguine

Omg varus is awesome

4. lilyoflife

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    agreed. if he wasnt blonde and was more solid, he would be classified as sexy

5. Lad123

I just saw the Varus spotlight and my thoughts are that he seems difficult to play. Like the whole 3 hits/4?! stack thing can be annoying when you don't want to think about it too much. or am I just a nab? D:

6. BudderMC

Varus is frustrating to play against so far. I'll complain more later, but his piercing shot thing has stupid range. I can't out-harass him. :frowning2:

7. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just from the spotlight he seems like a really strong carry. There are so few AD carries, so it's nice to have another option. I guess I'll see how he plays today. I'm not going to bother buying him since he will be taken in every match. XD

8. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I always thought those characters were purple... 0.o

9. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They are. Maybe he plays the colorblind mode? :V

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I think even color-seeing men just have variations in the way they perceive color...

11. BudderMC

I retract what I said earlier, he's not too bad. But that's probably because nobody knows how to build/play him yet. I was complaining earlier because his piercing shot thing has a stupid amount of range (like he can poke me beyond the FoW), but then I realized if I'm paying attention I can just side-step it <_<. Though since he can shoot that from farther away, it does make him harder to harass a bit... but he farms less too it seems, so I guess it balances out.

Otherwise, he seems really squishy. Like, reaaaally squishy. Like Teemo squishy. At least the few I've played have been.

I always thought Veigar was blue :/. His background pic thing is purple, but I was disappointed to find his ingame model really blue. :frowning2:

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, you're right about that. I forgot about that. His icon is hella purple, but he's totes blue in-game.

13. ArcherySet

ArcherySet Guest

I played this game for a couple months and became very skilled with my fav champs (Janna, Swain, Sona, and some others) but the community is the worst I have ever experienced in online gaming.

Games are often populated with the most foul minded, disgusting, homophobic, immature, trolling, gaming losers who can only be described as mentally ill. They attack you for any and every reason they can, no matter if the game is going poorly or great. Even defending yourself will leave you under attack from your team mates, or anyone that looks at your score and doesn't feel its up to snuff, even if it looks like 3/1/10 and theirs is 6/6/4. I'd go into more details with 'in game examples' but its not worth the time.

The reporting system is a joke because even the most abusive of players do not fear being banned, and if you choose to shut off the game and walk away (which in any other game is your God given right) you are instantly penalized for it as Riot games views leaving a game (no matter what the reason) a punishable offense. So even if you are engaged with a team that have chosen to hate you, not cooperate with you, and blame you for everything, if you do not play with them, you are reported and punished.

I had to leave this game because the people the 'die hards' sucked all the fun out of it for me. I have been called every name under the sun (and some I have never heard of before) and told to kill myself by 13 year olds, and probably some 31 year olds with the mental faculties of 13 year olds. Even defending another player from the attacks of the aggressor (who is then promptly ignored) results in me being attacked if I do something the person I defended does not approve of. I have walked away from teams and faced temporary banning simply because they are so awful, so cruel, they do not deserve to win.

So I warn you, to enter into this game, is to enter a world of very negative, selfish, compulsive, obsessed, sexually frustrated, sociopath Internet people.

#193 ArcherySet, May 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2012
  14. InsertNameHere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was actually pleasantly surprised today when I did terrible with Vladimir, and my team didn't yell at me. The thing is, there are 10 people playing. There is always going to be a very high chance for at least 1/10 players to be an immature jerk.

However, when I first started playing League of Legends, the community wasn't nearly as bad. As the game has gotten more and more popular, the maturity of the gaming community as a whole has declined. This tends to happen with most MMOs that get outrageously popular, but since this game is purely competition, it's even worse.

I do think we often times overlook all the kind players who just want to have fun, but it's true that the assholes most definitely do ruin many games. The ignore feature is not utilized enough though. Sometimes /ignore (name of jerk) is the best thing you can do for yourself.

As a whole though, I'm not as interested in the game as I used to be. It's definitely a fun game, and the developers and their staff as a whole are some of the best I've seen. Those who haven't played many other MMOs probably take them for granted, but I definitely don't. Despite this, the immature jerks of the community populate the game enough to make it an overall unenjoyable experience.

---------- Post added 8th May 2012 at 10:03 PM ----------

One way to stop some of those issues though is to try and say stuff like "We get it, he did wrong. So let's move past that and just try our best to win it now." That usually diffuses a lot of the tension. You acknowledge their frustrations, but find a way to make them move past it. This doesn't always work, and if it doesn't, it's just something that can't be dealt with. Though you should definitely try and stop rantings if you can. It's annoying to pretty much everyone playing for one reason or another. And yes, it can make people feel like crap.

15. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I play in the "my native language is Dutch so I sometimes mismatch translations of colours" mode :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

And purple is still considered pretty gay in my corner of the woods :wink:

Then again, I also never really notice this "bad community" issue. Sure, some people accuse me of feeding sometimes, or "why weren't you in top lane when we needed you, fag?". But I don't even register that on any level apart from: "hmm, maybe my positioning is suboptimal in this game after all".
    Otherwise I'll usually reply with a light-hearted joke, or not at all if they're being patently unreasonable. What do I care what some other guy with a computer thinks of me?
    ...which really summarises my experience anywhere on the internet, short of some isles of decency like EC...

In any case, it does seem like Varus might be a new favourite of mine. I started off inflicting carnage I never managed before (seriously, I thought the computer was messing up when it awarded me double-kills and Rampage mentions all through my first game with him). Still, I'll see how I do when people actually start being better prepared against him.

16. Valyrian

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Screw Varus! I'm in love with AP Soraka as "carry"/Ryze and Viktor atm! i always was into the caster types anyway..

So far none of the Varus players have beaten me in solo mid/top. well..i guess they're just bad!

17. BudderMC

^ Well, it's been a couple days, give it some time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. On that note though, carry Ryze is frustrating me too. I dunno if I just faced terrible ones before this patch and all the ones now are great, but he keeps decimating me. Might be time to whip out Veigar...

And honestly, depending on the trolling I receive, if you just take it in stride and troll lightheartedly back, you can't do anything but laugh at them getting so angry. I mean, it's why trolls troll in the first place. If anything, you'd end up making them leave... or they'll get so angry they lose focus and feed you some kills. :wink:

18. Lad123

I agree with this. In any online game that I have played there is always someone that has to swear and shout abuse at people. Its a game! Fine, you can be mad if you're losing or things don't go well but to actually attack others is not ok at all. Having said that, my play ability is good and rarely do my deaths exceed my kills but I really dislike it when people start to argue, and when there are horrible smug comments like "dumbass ashe, where were you aiming that arrow?" I feel sorry for those under attack but as ArcherySet has said, if you even try to defend players, you will be under fire too so best to keep quiet! I think this is why I prefer to play bot games (intermediate) because we are in the same team and the competition aspect of the game has been removed, however it does get boring sometimes :dry:

19. BudderMC

Back with another question :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyone got tips for playing bot/top (in duos, I guess)? I can play mid no probs, I rarely lose my lane there... but with bot/top I find it harder. I dunno, maybe it's that I'm relying on someone else to do stuff? Or rather, I'm NOT relying on them and trying to solo, but then I get targeted... <_<

Ganking isn't really too big a deal so far, I know I can just ward to avoid it, but it happens.

If anyone has tips, I'd appreciate it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

20. Lad123

Well, I can't really help much, just concentrate on farming/last hitting rather than killing the enemy champions but by all means harass to your content but make sure you don't over-extend. Your positioning is important because just one mistake can get you stunned/snared and thats it, you're likely to die ^^ feeding them is bad!