1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids Movies with Gay Undertones?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by pirateninja, May 17, 2008.

1. pirateninja

I've been curious about this for a while now. I'm a great fan of the Disney movie "Ratatouille", and I remember when I first watched it I thought I saw some "gay undertones", particularly in the respect that Remy (the main rat) wants to be a chef, however his dad is disapproving, the other rats mock him for hanging out with humans, and humans treat him like a rat basically. Although I feel like an idiot analysing a kids movie like this, I did see the comparisons, especially when Remy goes back at the end and his dad says "...we are family..." even though throughout the film he has tried to stop him from being a chef.

Am I overanalysing this? Or do Disney and other kid's movies deliberately put these in. I've seen other movies a little like this, Shark Tale, where the shark is a vegetarian and again disappoints his dad and Mulan; Particularly in the line "If I were truly to be myself, I would break my family's heart".

Any other films a little like this?

2. Alex

Havent thought about those two movies in particular.
    But all of Disney's movies (at least the old ones) always have undertones of something.

3. InaRut

Ratatouille definatly has that. I caught it too :slight_smile:

4. jenko83

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    how so, i watched that film only today, please can you enlighten me cos you have me wondering now.

5. sdc91

Hm, I think you can interpret it to anything, not just being gay.
    Disney films are usually just about love and acceptance, anyway.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I got the same feeling with Shark Tale. Maybe its just because that is how we relate them to our own lives. I don't know.

7. LOVEjames

I think that all disney movies try to relate to children or pre-teens in some way, so they give them something to relate to. It's not just gay people who have the 'distant relationship from the father for doing something they want to do' thing. People who rebel against their parents as a natural phase, and people who want to hang out with people who their parents may not approve of, that type of stuff. I'm sure it's meant to be relating to people going through whatever they're going through at the time with no specific agenda.

xD I've thought about this before quite throughly.

8. Tim

Tim

Mulan? You do know Mulan was a girl. She didn't want to be a bride, (in the movie, if you watch it, you know what I mean by bride, and personally, I don't blame her, listen to the song "Honor to Us All") and her dad was called to active duty, so she took his place. In what way is that gay undertone? Lol, she was willing to sacrifice herself for her dad... (In the movie, a girl impersonating a male in the army penalty was death)

However, another gay undertone in that movie: Shang started falling in love with Mulan when he knew her as Ping, which he knew as a guy :3 When she was revealed as a woman, he spared her life because of it, claiming it was because of the fact she saved his <.<

9. Level N Human

You're all nuttercase!

But seriously I think they're all either about acceptance of breaking out of one place and wanting to go to another or something.

10. jazzrawr

i got that feeling in Shark Tale too!!!
    and with Mulan. Mulan is just amazing :grin:

11. Stargate

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    omg I got the same thing from Mulan, the whole reflection song always connects with me.

12. Sam

Sam

I think while the movies may have a gay undertone to them, its probably more about all of us trying to relate our situation to the movies we watch, looking for something comforting and familiar and that's why we can sometimes think a movie has a gay undertone to it.

13. Level N Human

It's probably just gay undertones in us that we're projecting onto the projection screen, yes?

14. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think its a theme of be who you want, not a gay focused one, but one that can apply to gay people along with any others

15. Leigh

Leigh Guest

on a kind of related note, did anyone see doctor who yesterday??

16. AlmightyFluffy

If you replace the word 'dentist' with 'gay' in Rudolph the red nosed reindeer, Hermy would have a totally different look, when he's persecuted, mocked, and runs away with Rudolph, calling himself a misfit, and asking why he doesn't fit in. Plus he had the nicest hair. :3

17. LOVEjames

Ohdear. Now I'm going to have to watch that. And it's all packed up with the Christmas stuff, too.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, I agree with that.

19. Nerdtendo

A quote from Aladan: "Just remember. Bee yourself!"

20. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't know, I stopped watching Disney movies when they started recycling the same plot and CGI style in every one.