1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a reason Americans dislike Canada (Canadians)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Sep 4, 2013.

1. GreenElephant

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm an american who doesn't hate canada. I'm from michigan and I'm going to school in Toronto. I love it here! When I told my american friends that I was going here, half started canada bashing and the other half were jealous. There aren't really any good reasons for canada bashing. I think americans like being arrogant pricks and canada is an easy target. Flipping through channels I see a ton of american TV shows and the news keeps talking about whats going on in america. It wouldn't be vice-versa in america. Its like a sibling relationship and canada is the nice younger brother and america is the narcissistic older brother. They pick on each other. They make fun of mexico more, though.

2. Data

Data Guest

Americans don't hate Canada. If a Canadian made fun of me as an American, I wouldn't assume all Canadians hate me.

I don't really like the way Canada still respects the English monarchy. It's something I don't like. Royalty is not my view of government. I very much like our three branch government with no royalty. Most English supporters moved North into Canada after the Revolution, so perhaps that bias against the "traitors" has just trickled down in a way.

I know I'm gay, but I'm a staunch Republican. Canada seems to be liberal in government and society, and while I'm glad gays are more accepted there, I dislike liberal government. So that casts a bit of a shadow on Canada in my opinion.

Now, I don't HATE Canada. No, no, no, I would like to vacation there one day, I just don't want to live there/be a citizen.

One of my FAVORITE YouTubers DavesFarm is in Canada. David Rock (yeah pedophile I KNOW) is one of the best mechanics I have ever seen. He can fix any lawnmower in a short amount of time. I learned a lot of stuff from him, and while I don't really respect him personally, you CAN'T deny that he's one of the smartest people on YT.

So, that's what I have to say.

3. twink182

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have never met an American who hates Canada or Canadians. On the contrary, every American I have ever spoken to has had nothing but nice things to say about Canadians. Canadians, however, who have nice things to say about Americans are hard to find. I routinely hear extremely nasty things said about Americans by Canadians. This is one of the reasons I have no friends. Finding people in Canada who are sufficiently introspective to see how badly we treat our southern neighbours is extremely difficult. Very few Canadians seem to realize that we will nod and agree with someone while they viciously attack Americans though we would never tolerate a person saying the same sort of things about someone's race, gender, religion or sexual orientation. It disgusts me. We are smug and sanctimonious. If Americans in recent years have started being more openly critical of Canada (and they seem to have) we have brought it on ourselves. Americans are not perfect but neither are we by any means, though many of us seem to think we are. The things we hold up as reasons why we are better than Americans are illusions; our health care system leaves people writhing in agony waiting for the most basic of medical procedures and will soon bankrupt us, our democratic institutions are a sham, our banks are strong because they are virtual monopolies, our legal system punishes the innocent and coddles real criminals and we will be leaving a massive pile of debt for our kids and grandkids to repay. Actually, Americans are doing a good job at that last one too but it's been on my mind.

4. Any dislike of Canadians I show (and I love Canadians, so I rarely show dislike) is purely out of jealousy. If you offered me a practical way of moving to Vancouver or Toronto, I'd take it in an instant.

5. I love Canada!!! I wanna be a tourist there so bad! I love everything about it :slight_smile:

And I'm American... unfortunately :dry:

6. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Huh, that's odd, because I've always really liked Canada: Cleaner, lower crime rate, better health-care, diverse, cool accents, less prone to try to rule the globe. I don't like the rightward trends going on nor the tar-sands, but I feel it's a much more open, mellow place than here. I don't know how many friends I know who have wanted to move to Canada, but quite a few. There don't seem to be nearly as many Bible thumping gun-nuts as here, of these so-called Tea Party sorts. Things seem more civil.

Aside from the Fox News/Right-Wing crowd, I've really never seen any hatred of Canada.

Plus, I love the igloos you live in and all the moose, and the way you guys say the letter 'o', and use 'eh' all the time. =p

#46 HuskyPup, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. Since we're on the subject of Canadians and aspirations of moving to Canada, I have a wonder. How much does Canada's greatest export, Crown Royal whisky, cost in Toronto or Vancouver? I'm talking the standard kind (the one with the purple label and bottle cover). Last time I bought a bottle here in Cali I paid $22, which is about $23 in Canada according to Google.

8. Absol

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do agree that most of the time it is a brotherly thing, but I also think it's just that aren't educated. I mean Americans make stupid remarks about other Americans also. For example, I went to Chicago a couple years ago with a group of friends. We went into a McDonald's to get something to eat and this group of girls came over to us and asked us where are we from? We told them Virginia and one of them said and I quote "Oh! I thought people in the south don't wear shoes." Yes, we're all hobbits. -_-

9. Ridiculous

And don't you forget it!

10. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ah, yeah. If I counted how many times someone asked about Hollywood or The OC after telling them I'm from CA... Americans can be just as brutal with the ignorance and stereotypes of one another as they are with foreigners.

11. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait, but that's was the main way we use to tell if people are from south of the Potomac here in Baltimore! Back to the drawing board. =p

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What Americans hate Canada? We have one of the longest-lasting peaceful borders in the world. Not to mention there's such cultural overlap in some places that it's hard to tell the two countries apart.

I'm American born and bred, but I luff Canadians. <3

#52 Argentwing, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  13. ScatteredEarth

I don't really think Americans hate Canada... We poke fun of you guys alot, but hey, the entire fucking planet makes fun of us ^_^

---------- Post added 5th Sep 2013 at 03:35 PM ----------

Too bad you're as far from Canada as you can be xD I'm closer to Canada than you ffs..

14. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, that is true. We don't get a whole lot of canucks here in the sunny south, but hey. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Stripe101

I love Canada! I plan to move there. It's just that the Canadian stereotype is really really funny. But like most Americans, they believe stereotypes to be the truth.

I also just need to post this

[​IMG]

16. WillowMaiden

WillowMaiden Guest

:roflmao: :roflmao:

17. SlickyPants

$27.49 + tax in Manitoba for a standard two-six/750. Every province is going to have some different prices but I would guess that they'd be within a couple of bucks of each other. I'm not sure if it's available in California but if you ever see it, you should give Forty Creek whisky a try.

Well, This Hour Has 22 Minutes had a segment in their show called "Talking To Americans" back in the late 90s/Early 2000s. Eventually the CBC aired it as a 1 hour special and it essentially made fun of Americans. It was sort of like Jay Leno's jaywalking where they'd interview a bunch of people and ask them questions but filter out all the smart ones and just air the stupid answers.

I don't really think most Americans hate Canada. The jokes on TV are just jokes and I'm sure most people don't take a lot of the stereotypes seriously. I think Canadians are just as guilty for stereotyping or joking about the U.S on TV. I think most take it lightly. It's just a bit of kidding around.

18. Just Jess

Canada's alright in my book :slight_smile: How can you not like gravy on french fries?

19. I'm a Canada-loving American! I'm interested in exploring it, open to making it a home. I do find it sad that the media/society makes fun of Canada. I have heard people refer to Canada as Little America :frowning2:

20. Californiacoast

I have had nothing but GREAT times in Canada! From goose hunting in rural northern Alberta to sailing off the coast of Vancouver Island near Victoria. The people were super friendly and LOVED that I was from the states. The only hate I heard was from western Canadians for their French speaking government in Quebec!