1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there a reason Americans dislike Canada (Canadians)?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander69, Sep 4, 2013.

1. dfiant

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Friendly rivalry...that's all it is.

Usa > Canada
    Australia > New Zealand
    and the list could go on....it is all just a pissing contest basically :wink:

2. RoguesWolfe

0.0 I love Canada though....and really miss going on vacations there ^-^.

3. redskins20

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Americans don't hate Canada. But if we make fun of you (jokingly), it's because of the Canadian Football League. Now that's funny:slight_smile:

4. AAASAS

I think the question could've been posed as why do canadians hate americans.

There is some random hate for the U.S up here in Canada, based on random facts that really don't mean much.

The strangest thing I hear is that Canadians are so polite, when I have encountered nicer people and friendly people in the U.S than I ever will in Canada. When I am in the U.S it is not uncommon for a random person to start talking to me in a line, in a store....etc, but in Canada everyone is "polite" but keeps to themselves which I find to be more cold than the U.S.

Yes Canadians will apologize for anything, but they're thinking "you fucking douchebag" in their head while apologizing.

I admire the U.S for how outgoing everyone is there, they are loud and want to be heard, which I tend to like in people than other traits. So yea, I got derailed there, my main point, Canadians also hate the US for no reason based on untrue stereotypes of Americans; they're all fat and rude. Some may be fat, but they are pretty freakin nice in some places.

* To the above poster, Canadian Football is arguably older and the origin of American football. Evidence suggest Canadians brought Football to north america through a bastardization of rugby. Same with baseball and cricket. The U.S didn't practice many British games like Canadians did in the early times of colonization(this is due to the U.S having an icy relationship with England and them trying to claim their own identity). Canadians however brought all these sports over and changed them a bit. The CFL is older than the NFL and the Grey Cup is older than the Superbowl.... that is just a fact.

The oldest running baseball diamond in the world is in Canada, and the first games were played here, the U.S just was the first to make official rules for it; which gives them the right to say they created modern baseball. But the theory of baseball is Canadian, and football, and apple pie(came from French tourtiere and an old english recipe and was popularized in Quebec). Look it up.

America you guys get everything else, ha I think Canadians love saying what we brought here over the U.S because basically our entire culture has been influenced by the U.S, so we kind of need to grasp on to anything because we basically are super liberal Americans.

#24 AAASAS, Sep 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  5. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's true. They are more polite. They are also harder to get to know. I've heard that there's Canada, and then there's Quebec. I've heard complaints from recent immigrants to English speaking Canada who came from cultures where interpersonal bonds were more important and personal space was smaller.

I tend to be uncomfortable when in a place where everyone is just too polite. I prefer to be in a place where you get the whole mix - rude, overly friendly, and everything in between. True about the U.S. You could be walking down a fishing pier for a stroll and wind up talking to someone for an hour and, in one case, a coworker and I were sitting at a deli and the guy next to us engaged us conversation, picked up his food, and moved to our table simply by inviting himself (no, there were no ulterior motives). Also, it differs by where you are in the U.S. Some places are more accepting of this style than others.

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a bit like the Australia-New Zealand rivallry. The big partner always makes fun of the smaller one, but deep down, we know that Canada and New Zealand are better.

7. Hrantou

Sadly its true. A lot of Americans these days seem to be growing an attitude of "It's not in America, so why should I give a damn?" :dry:

I like Canada though. I've had a few gamer friends who live there, and they love it. I'd love to go visit them some day.

8. Hefiel

Actually, the stereotype that Americans are more forward and louder exist in many touristic areas commonly visited by Americans, so although it is a clear overgeneralization, there's probably some truth to it.

As far as the negativity coming from Canadians towards Americans, I think a lot has to do with things that we take for granted here in Canada (and many European countries as well) that are still highly debated in the U.S thanks to the current political atmosphere. Things like Climate Change, Abortion, LGBT Rights, Voting Rights Act, Healthcare, Education, and the list goes on. When you see a country that has a very strong presence of politicians defying logic (republicans mostly) and enough people to get them elected, it really hurts the perception of U.S internationally.

With that said, I think pretty much anyone that criticizes the inhabitants of another country knows that not everyone is this way, but it's much simpler to make a generalized statement.

There is a certain degree of disconnect between the province of Quebec and the rest of Canada, but that's to be expected when you have 2 very different cultures present in a single country. Quebec being the only French province of Canada for those who are reading and didn't know, whereas the rest of Canada speaks English.

9. Alexander69

I think it's funny when people say Canadians say "eh" I never say it and I rarely if ever hear people say "eh" at least out west I know back east in Toronto, Nova Scotia etc that they say eh a bit more. And yes I have noticed to that Candida's really really hate America.... I have noticed this, but I think it's because of the constant lies said about us in America like we are all polite we say eh we live in igloos, it is sort of hard to think highly of a nation that well.... Seems uneducated and sorry but stupid.

I mean we Canadians don't make TV shows making fun of the US but I constantly see jokes made about Canada and I'm a very proud Canadian and it really pisses me off when I see these things said. 1.) people on other countries farther away may see that and have a bad opinion on Canada or be gullible enough to believe what was said 2.) young people of America will think it's funny and continue to slander there false ideas.

And when we say the us is fat statistics have shown that a high present of Americans are over weight. Correct me if I'm wrong then that is not a joke nor a lie. Canada has its fair present if over weight people to let's be honest North Americans are over weight.

10. GirlWhoWaited

HATE? Once a week I have to restrain myself from driving the 45 minutes it would take me to get there, marrying a random homeless person, and never looking back. Speaking of marrying Canadians, any takers?

11. Hefiel

That reminded me of a English Canadian woman I met when I was working last year. I think she said "eh" at the end of every sentences she said, it was hilarious.

12. Alexander69

English Canadian? You mean a "Canadian" French or English speaking is still Canadian. And yes Quebec is part of Canada

13. Hefiel

I figured if I just left it as "English woman" it might have been interpreted as meaning a woman from England, so I added "Canadian" for clarity, but in retrospect I could've worded that better. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. AKTodd

TBH, I suspect many (most?) Americans are utterly indifferent to Canada. When people make jokes about Canada, I suspect most of those are TV or radio comedians - they say something which makes people laugh and that's about it. A lot of politicians point to Canada re healthcare because that's a big issue here right now and Canada is close by and convenient to point to.

Bear in mind that most Americans neither know nor care about other countries in any sort of immediate way. They don't have to (whether they should or not). Europe has had 1000 and some years of different nations dealing with each other, economically, socially, and militarily all while being separated by relatively short distances. The US hasn't been around anywhere near as long and neither Canada nor Mexico can offer any meaningful challenge to us either economically or militarily. So they don't tend to be on most people's minds so much, Canada probably less so since there's not the whole illegal immigration thing, that also ties up a lot of American attention.

Americans also make jokes about other Americans from other parts of the country as well. And I grew up in Alaska and have had people from the continental US ask if I lived in an igloo as well. It must just be a Northern thing rather than a Canada thing. I've been to BC several times and have a close associate from Canada who I deal with on a regular basis. I've never seen anything that would make me dislike Canadians in any way.

And since it's come up - the last time I was in Canada was on a cruise with my partner's family to Alaska. We took a train tour that went into Canada. When we got there, this Canadian police or military guy got on the train and was talking to us. Someone went to take his picture and he got rather upset. Apparently the folks running the tour were supposed to have told us no photos since these guys worked undercover sometimes or something. Every sentence ended in 'eh'. Before that I'd thought that was just a stereotype.

Then again, he was well over six feet tall, looked like he could run up the side of a building, and was all around gorgeous :grin: So I wasn't inclined to be bothered by it.

Todd

15. It's because we're jealous lol but my best guess would be that some of us like to pick on Canadians because it makes us feel superior. Down here, Canadians are sometimes thought to be overly docile and sensitive (never mind that they tolerate ridiculously frigid winters while we complain about our occasional nor'easters), but I don't think most people believe in such stereotypes. In reality, Canada comes closer to American culture than any other country, so to some extent, the "mirror effect" might have something to do with this. It's the same thing with people from New Jersey and Long Island. They hate each other, but they're both east-coast suburbanites who spend every weekend at the mall.

16. Krilky

Krilky Guest

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it's usually joking…see "Canadian Idiot" by Weird Al.
    I joke about Canada sometimes, but I love Canada! It's #yoloswag (I apologize for that.)

17. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love Canada! I think it would be awesome to live there :grin:

18. rjrh20

Don't worry here in America you are either a hypocrit or your just like anyone else from another country and most people are hypocrites, so most American things are hypocritalical. Also people are just jealous, don't take it personally.

19. Jaden

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    To echo what many have already said, it's not hate, it's like brotherly ribbing. We both make jokes about each other. Nobody should take them personally :slight_smile:

20. DesertTortoise

When Americans are blowing children to bloody pieces on the other side of the world, destroying public education, privitizing schools to make the tiny wealthy elite take even more wealth from those who actually produce it, building private prisons for even more profit and perverting the legal system to fill them--I can see why maybe anyone outside this bloody Empire of Money and Death might hate us. If they are awake. And don't watch too much American TV. Why I will never seek to 'normalize' my Queer. We who have experienced what it means to be marginalized should stay outside the system till it's destroyed and replaced by something better.