1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is sexuality a choice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CyanChachki, Jul 17, 2014.

1. MyLittleWorld

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, it's not. You can pretend to be who you choose to be, but it will not change anything. You are who you are.

2. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No way. It's just like how you can't change who you fall in love with. Sexuality is something that comes naturally to a person.

3. alwaysforever

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's not a choice. Just look at this forum. Do you honestly think that the thousand of people here are struggling to accept their feelings for fun? I think if it were a choice we would be living in a very different world.

4. EvoDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I fully agree with YuriCore

5. girlpower

I can only wish i could have control over it. But the bitter truth is NO i just cant. because one cannot choose to be Gay. its something decided at a very early age.. so this is what i had read somewhere:
    'No one knows what causes sexual orientation. Many lesbian, gay and bisexual people know that they are attracted to members of their own sex at an early age, sometimes as young as 6 or 7 years old. Others learn much later in life, in their 30's, 40's or 50's. Some research indicates that sexual orientation is determined between birth and age 3, but no one is sure what causes particular orientations.'

6. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Sometimes I wish it was because there are days I hate being attracted to women

7. Maeve

I don't think it is--and that's what the science supports. TBH, it doesn't matter to me if it's a choice or not. Even if people CHOOSE to be gay, it wouldn't change how I feel.

8. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Definitely not, at least for me.

9. markosss

No it is not.right now I have a crush on a straight guy.I didn chose to...

10. Jenna0780

Personally, I don't think it is. At least, I didn't choose to be bisexual so that I could fear losing my friends and possibly my family. But maybe there are people out there who just think that would make for a grand ol' time.

However, I don't think it should matter, even if it is a choice. Nobody judges anyone so harshly for the choices they make.

11. Budweiser

It's not a choice now, but as we learn more about sexuality and gender identity it may very well be a choice someday. As long as those treatments weren't wrongly used as a "cure" for homosexuality I think there would be no moral failings to it. But that's a whole other discussion!

12. PrettyConfused

At least for me, I wouldn't really classify it as a choice since it's something I can't control. My life would be easier if I could "choose" to be straight. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be happy living a straight life.

13. lovely lesbian

Nope nope nope

14. littlemonster11

No, it is definitely not a choice. If I had it my way, I'd choose to be attracted to just men. I didn't choose to also be attracted to women and, therefore, be confused as to what my sexuality is. I don't want to make things complicated for myself, and I'm positive everyone else can say the same.

I find it impossible to believe that sexuality is a choice for those reasons.

15. Haley M

Haley M Guest

It's definitely not a choice. That's like saying that you choose to be interested in (insert hobby here). You typically are drawn to things or people that interest you. I don't think sexuality is any different.

16. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's kinda like saying people choose to have blue , brown and hazel eyes when there born with it being gay , straight , pan and bisexual is a trait not a choice and we don't get mad at people for wearing colored contracts :tantrum:

17. Radioactive Bi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I made no choices when it came to my sexuality so my personal experience suggests no. This also appears to be consistent to other people I've spoken to so I would be confident to generalise it to a more general population.

Happy days :slight_smile:

18. CyanChachki

I think it's about time I make a response to this thread, not just to you, but everyone who's answered to this thread. Personally, I don't believe it's a choice either.. but due to recent posts I've seen on different sites, I thought it would be best to ask the question here to kind of get fresh opinions on it. I've been seeing people post comments saying that it is, even those who are LGBTQ+. It makes me wonder how the world really thinks if so many people think this way. I know it seems completely silly and maybe my reasons for posting this where unreasonable, but I needed to hear LGBTQ+ community it's self.

I read everyone's answers and I felt as though I made a few people upset. If that's true, I'm terribly sorry. I never really meant for this thread to upset anyone, it was just a question I felt that I needed to ask. Either way, I thank everyone for their answers and for those who are new to this thread, feel free to post your answer.

19. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    You didn't make me upset but I did wonder why you wrote it , and I'm glad you explained it I was wondering that too but I didn't have the guts to ask such a question .
    I have seen threads on here and else where with people saying Oh the born this way movement doesn't help we should stop saying it's not a choice and that we were born this way . I've also seen people say that political lesbians are lesbians the ones that aren't born lesbian but choose to be because they hate men and want to get back at them and it makes me think if we go down this route then why the hell are we fighting for rights, if we're just choosing because and excuse me because a lot of people will be upset at me but, if we're all choosing then why bother no one ever took away anyone's right to choose to sleep with whoever or date whoever , sure people can have opinions on it and say this is not that but you have all rain to sleep with who you want and call yourself whatever you want but ,they did say we were wrong for one liking the same sex and our attractions weren't real and bisexuals get this too for liking both sexes .
    Because I've seen the younger generation saying they want to get away from the it's not a choice and I was born this way . But when asked this very question if it's a choice it's like Oh No it's not a choice . It really puzzles me :confused:

20. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The fundamental problem I have with the question is that sexuality can mean one's orientation as well as one's expression of sexual feelings/one's sexual activities. Words with vague or multiple meanings are often a source of nasty arguments. Ditto for mis-used words. Anyhoo...

I believe orientation (what your brain/body reacts to) is not a choice
    Activity/expression however IS a choice, for any orientation. Of course this opens the door to the "well just don't do it" argument, which is probably just as healthy and reasonable as promoting 100% abstinence before marriage. People of bi/pan orientation can choose to prefer/favour one gender vs another but it doesn't change the fact they do have some natural attraction to both/all.