1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it too late - Am I in too deep?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Ams, Dec 20, 2019.

1. Ams

Ams

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Ryanlung,

Thanks for your words. What you said above really resonated with me, not because of the same thing happening, but things feel right with certain people I guess.

About 18 months ago, I met a girl online- she was perfect! We had the same interests, same points of view, she was exactly my type and even more crazy, she was into me! We spoke every day for months and we arranged to meet up on holiday. Then I had to bail because of childcare issues. She met someone else on that holiday, and I was gutted.

It's a valid point "would I be happy with a man", well I'm not. But, I could ruin my children's childhoods with a break up, and then never find any women who will accept my family commitments.

I've been unhappy for so long, I just don't know if happiness is something that could happen to me!

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Happiness can happen to anyone as long as you believe you deserve it.

I totally get the logistical difficulties of leaving a relationship, especially when you have children but I would counter your above arguement with, what do you think having a mother who is never truely happy does to your children's childhoods? Children are very perceptive and they can see these things. What kind of message would you like your children to get?

3. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi @Ams

Welcome to EC.

I can relate to a lot of what you’ve posted and have recently been through a similar situation.

You’ve had a lot of great replies, so hopefully I’m not repeating too much.

What’s your relationship like usually? It’s very easy to become consumed by questioning and your sexuality, and in doing so, lose sight of what your relationship is like in it’s own right. I did this - got caught up in the guilt and fear of leaving my partner, particularly the impact it might have on my daughter - and missed that it wasn’t a healthy relationship to be in anyway. In the end, the drive to leave and manner in which we separated was for reasons completely unrelated to my sexuality.

I can completely relate to this feeling. I was stuck in this place for so long. In retrospect, taking action was hard, but it was easier to live with than this feeling because I was actually taking control.

I had a therapist to support me throughout the process, which was extremely valuable, and helped to break the process down into small steps and process it as it happened.

As @silverhalo said, being so unhappy can’t be a positive for your children, neither can be living in environment with consistent tension between their parents. As long as you manage the separation to minimise the impact on your children, then there’s no reason why it should ruin their childhood. Separated parents (for a range of reasons) are not uncommon.

I’ve also had concerns about finding a woman who would accept my family commitments, but I don’t think that this is reason enough to stay in a unfulfilling relationship, which is making you miserable. Wouldn’t being single be preferable? I think it’s important to leave the relationship because you believe it is right thing to do in the circumstances.

I hope you find EC helpful. I found it very helpful and supportive throughout the process. Keep posting questions. There’s no rush to reach a decision. Take care.

silverhalo and Really like this.
  4. Ams

Ams

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks so much for writing!

Yeah, you are right- it's been a bad relationship for a while. The only way I can describe it is bi-polar in that sometimes it's great and then sometimes it's awful. Mostly I feel trapped. It would be so easy for me to be single, but I don't want to stay that way forever! I feel like a kid again, worrying no one will want me, which is based on my whole life- I think I ended up dating guys because I get on really well with men, but women terrify me- and they just don't seem to like me! I have very few female friends. Hence my concerns.

I think a therapist is my best bet to move forward! Every day I wake up and feel a different way!

Nic2552 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  5. Ams

Ams

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that could be the issue, I don't feel deserving, not at all. I feel like I am the villain in this. For me to find happiness, I would feel guilty.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you get on with men on a friendship level. Probably the reason you find women terrifying is because the feelings are so much stronger and the chance of getting hurt so much greater. I've spoken to quite a few people on here who have said dating the opposite sex was easier because there wasn't as much riding on it. If the relationship broke down they were less bothered.

I think you need to work on your self believe and worth, I know it's tricky especially when you are in a difficult situation and you are potentially the one ending it but that doesn't mean you are not worthy of finding happiness. I'm sure there are women out there who wouldn't accept your family situation but that doesn't mean it's all of them. It just means they aren't the right girl for you. I know several women with kids who have then gotten into relationships after leaving a marriage or long term relationship with a man so there is no reason nobody would want you.
    It sounds to me regardless of your sexuality you relationship is not healthy so even if you were to break up and then pursue a relationship with another man (not that I'm suggesting that), it still sounds like it would be the best move. The fact you would then pursue women is just a fact.

Nic2552 likes this.
  7. moxie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I relate to this so much! You're definitely not alone. I am in a 10 year marriage with 2 kids. The idea of leaving my husband, and everything that comes with that, so much of which is unknown, is terrifying. I wish I had something to make it easier, for you and I both. I am realizing that the process of working through things and making a decision to stay or go and what that means can take a long time, which is something I felt alone with. At first it seemed like everything I read was about people who made decisions relatively quickly, within a few months, and that seemed (and is) so impossible for me/my situation.

8. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can relate to this too. I completely felt the same - like everyone was making a decision and leaving their heterosexual relationships within three to six months.

I think some people do work through it all quicker, and that’s great for them, but other people only seem further ahead because they come to EC or start taking about it after they’ve done a lot of the processing/questioning.

There’s no one right way to approach this. :slight_smile:

SevnButton likes this.
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to walk your own path, not try and follow someone else's. It might seem longer but you never know what you will see/experience whilst you are on it. You will get to where you need to be when the time is right.

10. SevnButton

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes! Brilliantly said! It is helpful to see others succeed on their paths, and to know there is a way. But everyone is different.

silverhalo and LostInDaydreams like this.
  11. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly and there may well be similar bits but also unique parts.

12. So Tired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people

Your life is literally mimicking mine. Its freaky that it's that similar, even down to meeting a girl online...I did fall head over heels for her, but the reality is we could never be together because of out families and distance. I feel absolutely lost at the minute. I have another girl that is really interested in me, but my mind is killing me with thought of my husband, kids and ex. As for my husband, we went through a really bad patch but he has started being nice and considerate again..ideally I would love to just carry on with him, but I know deep down I'm a lesbian. Its giving me serious anxiety, sleeplessness and have no idea what to do anymore

Ang1 likes this.
  13. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

It’s scary and overwhelming, but take some deep breaths and try not to let your mind run away with different thoughts/scenarios. Try to break it down into smaller parts/steps/questions. And there’s no rush, nothing needs to change overnight, so take the time that you need to process this.

Is there something in particular that’s causing you anxiety?

14. So Tired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I appreciate all views and comments. I know my head is constantly thinking about it. It's hard to shift. I seem to keep thinking about my family, my husband and the hurt I'm causing. I did tell him I was battling with my sexuality a couple of years ago. He originally thought it was a phase, but overtime he realised I'm really battling. We have been through some bad times. He generally Is a very good man, but over the years he's had his moments too which made me think was it the reason why I started questioning originally. I think I was grasping at straws to be honest. He doesn't know I had an affair. An affair that honestly broke my heart. Its over the last 2 months and probably partly the reason my anxiety is sky high as she moved on less than a month after we broke up. I also keep looking at my husband thinking, can I make it worth and a what cost.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think your last comment about 'at what cost' is what you really need to think about. I know you dont want to cause pain to anyone but even staying in the relationship with him is going to hurt him in the long run, unless you really want to be there.

16. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, my ex-partner’s behaviour wasn’t great at times either, and at the beginning, I sometimes thought that’s why I’d started questioning. In reality, I don’t think a straight woman would make that leap.

@silverhalo is right - I know you’re worried about the pain you might cause him, but staying in the relationship isn’t good for him either and he doesn’t have the opportunity to find somebody that’s a better match. And if there’s tension in your relationship, the children will pick up on that, so it would necessarily be the best thing for them either.

As I said, think things through, what you want your future to look like and the steps you need to take to get there. Once you’ve taken some action, and it only needs to be baby steps, you might feel better and more in control. Before I made the decision to leave my ex, I would go over and over it in my head, building up anxiety. But, once started on the path of doing something, all my thinking was about the next step and practical things.

silverhalo likes this.
  17. So Tired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. I know it's not fair on him. He wants to save our relationship. I am going to see a counsellor, hopefully soon enough and go from there.

silverhalo likes this.
  18. So Tired

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. I know we are living in a pretend marriage at the moment. He doesn't want to lose me but understands that it's not something I just decided. I agree with the comment that a straight woman/man wouldn't think like that. I am going to start with the baby steps and start with trying to get my mind right. I am going forward for counselling so hopefully will make things a bit clearer.

LostInDaydreams likes this.
  19. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like a good plan. I know its not easy, you have done such a great job to get to this point. I am sure there will be ups and downs ahead but in the end they will all be worth it.

So Tired likes this.
  20. Aryana I

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a respected therapist will be helpful. Carefully research them to find one that you think you feel comfortable with.

Try to consider your marital relationship from the viewpoint of, when it works why is it working and on the flip side when it doesn't work what's going wrong to cause the upheaval. Examine the situations without any preconceived idea it's because of your sexuality. The most important part of your decision is the welfare of your children. I know there are people here telling you that you can be happy. But that falls second to the well being or your children.

There is a man in my life I consider to be my son. Actually he's my step grandson from my first marriage. I sacrificed for years to spend time with him and give him the best I could under the circumstances. When he was born he came home to our house and never left. I raised him as mine. When my marriage failed, I spent every weekend with him until he got old enough he started wanting to do things with his friends. That was around 13. I didn't date and lived in less than ideal housing to be there when he needed me. He's grown now, married with children. We are best friends, he's happy and has a good life. I would not give up a minute of the time I've spent with him and for him. He's the best thing that ever happened to me. Even though it came from a failed marriage.

The point I'm trying to make is that our children are our first responsibility. I'm not suggesting you stay married. Only that you examine it from the perspective of what is best for your children. That may mean that you leave and take custody of the children. It may mean that you stay. Only you can determine what's best. Love your children and do what's best for them. You'll find your way for yourself in the process.

regkmc and silverhalo like this.