1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is every gay a fan of her

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MatthewJS, Dec 31, 2012.

1. MrHojalata98

I don't like nicki Mina's at all. I don't like her voice, I don't like her songs, I don't like how she dresses. I just plain out don't see how she became so famous

2. Gazza123

Gazza123 Guest

This is what hate

Why do we have to make a big deal out of it. I like Lady GaGa and I'm gay, so what. I don't go a broadcast it. I hate the whole 'pop garbage' comment, just because its not your cup of tea.

It just gets on my nerves

It feels like we're being singled out for liking GaGa or not.

And to say someone is disgusting, regardless of who there are is a bit much.

I'm not bothered if people like her or not. If we all liked the same thing then it would be pretty boring. But making a big deal out of it.

Ooooo soooo mad

3. Jonimarie

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love Nicki - although if she puts out one more video in a freaking bathing suit I'm gonna scream. I like her music. And I like some of Lady Gagas music ... and I see a message in a lot of her stuff and she does have a thing for being theatrical, BUT - she goes to far sometimes and can be too wild and really really annoying.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess I'm more a fan of Gaga than Minaj, but for me, it's like choosing between two restaurants you'd rather not go to. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't say I hate Gaga, it's more of a "meh...ok" for me - I know this will sound like blasphemy to some but she reminds me of what early Madonna would have been if Facebook and Twitter were around back then.

6. Lance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes I like Lady GaGa and her music. Although it's not my normal music choice.

And since she was brought up, I would say Nicki Minaj is my favorite female rapper.

7. Mike92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Nope, not for me.

8. BoiGeorge

BoiGeorge Guest

I LOVE Gaga!! Little Monster Forever!! Woooooo!! :grin:

9. fallingsnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Although I do love Paparazzi. Did anyone see Greyson Chance play it?

10. Ianthe

Lady Gaga has made herself a very public ally for LGBT people. She gets a lot of gay fans because she caters to gay people. Most popular musicians, even the ones that are strong allies, do not put out songs explicitly for gay people. There are a very few exceptions, and you can expect them to all have huge gay followings. Lady Gaga is one.

I'm in a lesbian choir, and so we talk sometimes about how meaningful it is for people to have their lives affirmed through music. For some people, a song like Born This Way is the first time they've ever had that.

I don't think all gay people are Lady Gaga fans, but most of us can at least appreciate her efforts as an ally.

11. Suffocation

Are fucking serious, that is the biggest stereotype ever.
    "All gay people like Lady Gaga."
    That's ridiculous. She's terrible.

12. Nyanko

I don't like Lady Gaga's music, although there are some songs here and there that I can tolerate listening to. But as a person I think she's pretty cool, and her voice when she's not singing is adorable.

13. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a fan, but I appreciate what she's done/is doing for LGBT rights.

14. fallingsnow

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Qft

15. djt820

I like one Gaga song surprisingly because it has an old-school electronica feel. I loathe Minaj, besides "Stupid Hoe" because that's enjoyable on an ironic level. They're both playing acts anyways.

It's cool that Gaga is supportive of the LGBT community but I question her motives. I don't believe she's genuine at all. Again, that relays again to the act she is playing and the image she's trying to achieve.

On a musical level, there are reasons why it is called "pop garbage" but I kind of find that a bit too much. Yes, it is kind of disappointing that people don't expand their horizons musically, but it's their choice to enjoy what they want to enjoy.

And that brings up another interesting point. From what I've seen, a big chunk of gay men listen to female pop artists almost exclusively. Why is that? It's something to ponder.

16. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can listen to the music, and sometimes it's catchy, it's just not my preferred choice...
    I don't care for the style but like that they try to put their own creativity into it...

17. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    *LGB people.
    she's pretty transmisogynistic

18. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    I think my best friend's (ex) relationship was an interesting example of this. He's not really into a lot of mainstream pop music at all, and is very much into the indie music scene, as well as alternative and classic rock -- it's part of why we first bonded so well. And then his ex-boyfriend, who is just as wonderful, is "perkier" and into a lot of pop/club artists like Gaga, Nicki Minaj, and so on. But seeing how their music tastes clash so often is amusing sometimes. And then other times, it starts an arugment... :lol:

I think there are just as many gay men who listen to music other than pop, but I think because huge pop artists such as Lady Gaga or Madonna tend to actually include LGBT/equality issues into their music, and because of the whole 'controversy' of the LGBT community still fighting for equal rights, it tends to get brought up more often by gay men and listened to more. Some like it and see listening to music like that as a fun way of championing LGBT equality/pride through music, since (for example) Lady Gaga is well-known for being supportive of gays. And then some people just like how the music sounds, not really much more to it.

19. djt820

I can see that with artists like Gaga and Madonna because they do include LGBT themes into their music and that makes complete sense but what about other female pop artists that don't necessarily include that theme that are still heavily listened to by gay men? Artists like Minaj, or Katy Perry. It's a gravitation to female-based pop music, is what I'm seeing.

Another point I'd bring up would be the band "fun.". They are LGBT allies. They have merchandise that is supportive of the LGBT community and they even have a song called "It Gets Better". They're in the Top 40 consistently and yet, I do not see a huge gay following with them as I do with Gaga. So I would say the LGBT theme in music only attracts that chunk of gay men to a certain point.

It probably is the style of music that attracts them but why is it female-based pop music more so than others?

#79 djt820, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  20. Night Rain

No (although I do like one or two of her songs). And I absolutely can't stand Nicki Minaj.