1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Invisible lesbian syndrome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jinkx, Dec 18, 2012.

1. CelticRae

Yes we are :icon_bigg

[​IMG]

But yeah, this thread is my life, as a female loving female. I don't understand it, But gay women don't notice me. I think I seem pretty gay. I dress pretty casually most of the time. I am a jeans and t shirts kind of person. I am not found of dresses, I wear them sometimes but lately I really haven't wanted to. I am very relaxed and casual in my mannerisms. I don't scream butch, But I definitely am no femme. I am the kind of person that just fades into the background. It kinda of sucks. Most straight people who don't know me are surprised to find out I am gay. Some aren't. But those who are surprised usually are guys, which I think is strange. But whatever.

I really want to be able to attract women more easily but I DON't Want TO CHANGE MY APPEARANCE DRASTICALLY in order to do so. It kind of pisses me off really that the type of girls that gay women seem to like are: Really Masculine, High femme, OR boyish Androgynous. I fit none of these. I really dislike most of the Dyke subculture. I am one of the most fiercely independent people you will ever meet and there is nothing I hate more than conforming to anything. Not only that, but I am so freaking socially awkward, meeting women is highly stressful for me. I am an INTP personality. Highly introverted, and strange. Another thing that might be giving women mixed signals is that fact that I consider myself Non-gendered or agender. I don't know if that falls under the Gender queer category but I literally feel like I have no gender on the inside. I have a very neuter identity but I look female. I don't have an issue with my physical body or anything. I guess the best way to describe it is that I feel like a robot. Sometimes I feel like I should accept that I may never find anyone because of all these factors. Does anyone else feel like that?:icon_sad:

2. redstormrising

honestly, invisibility is why i turned to online dating. i have long hair, i love dresses and skirts, and despite my refusal to wear makeup or heels, i always seem to come off looking super girly. doesn't matter what rainbow stuff i wear or if i openly hit on other gay women, i still get pegged as straight. so, i figured maybe it would be easier online if i can clearly self-identify as gay. it took awhile and a lot of unstable or nutty people, but it worked out for me in the end. i'm now happily in a loving relationship, and whether or not people can tell i'm gay doesn't matter very much to me anymore.

3. mermaid motel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This pretty much describes my life, except I'm a little bit more femme in the way I present (I love skirts/dresses, make-up, etc. etc.). But other than that, yeah, everything you said is on point--I feel like I have no gender, so I'm sort of internally androgynous, but... I really don't want to change the way I dress. I'm not willing to give up my femme aesthetic! But I'm not a high femme, so I guess I don't look like a lesbian... I feel so unnoticed and invisible to gay women. I probably scream straight girl to them if they just look at me. :frowning2: It doesn't help that I have a hard time making eye contact with an attractive woman for more than five seconds without looking away and blushing like an idiot. The "dyke look" is something I just don't have the confidence to pull off yet. (*hug*)

#83 mermaid motel, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  4. Jinkx

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm quite femme in the way I present myself a lot of the time. I wont leave the house without make up on. However there's days when I go out in boy jeans and a tank top although people seem to think I'm straight. However since I had my mohawk shaved in I get more attention from lesbians. However on nights out I usually get quite dressed up so it all gets a bit lost in translation. I don't want to change my style but still want to attract other girls.

I'm not good at holding eye contact either. I have a terrible gaydar so I never know if a girl is looking at me in an attraction way or is just casually looking at what I'm wearing ect. As girls do.