1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Important Changes at Empty Closets - Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, that is something we are very concious with these changes.

There is no magic post count. We will probably only be reviewing members with 100+ posts initially, to keep the task manageable. However there will be a system for applying for established status, and we will have that in place a week or so BEFORE we apply the restrictions, so that anyone who has not been reviewed or told they will have established status can apply then.

On the "established member" approval process, out of those with 400 or more posts who have visited here in the last two months, over 90% will get established status and have been PM'd. The remaining ones are still being checked (it's a big job with so many to do) and at least some of these should get established status too. We are now working through people in descending post-count order, probably down to 100 posts eventually.

2. otc877

otc877 Guest

I know everyone is extremely busy working on these changes.

With that, I'm curious if there's a target date that these changes will be put into effect by?

3. TriBi

^ Not at the moment. We are working toward trying to get it all happening as soon as possible - but there is a lot to be done.

Not least of that is what needs to be done in recoding/reprogramming. Paul is going to be busy in his real job, so he has asked the site owners if any of their people can assist with that to help speed things up.

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The main technical issue I have at the moment is making the PM system work how we want it. There are no settings within the vBulletin software to control which usergroups can and cannot send PMs to which other usergroups. We need this to work so that regular members can send and receive PMs to/from moderators and advisers, but not to/from other users. The only option in the software is to enable or disable PMs for usergroups completely.

I was hoping there would be an add-on available to do what we need but I haven't found one yet (though I haven't had much time to look).

As TriBi mentioned, I have asked the site owners if any of their people can get involved and help us with that aspect. I am very busy with real work (the type that brings in money) for at least the next fortnight.

It will probably need some custom programming, which would need someone who understands PHP and is also familiar with the vBulletin plug-in system. If any of you have such knowledge and want to help, please PM me.

5. Alexander

how are the user groups defined in the code? a variable? send me over the definitions and the pm pages and I'll see what I can do :slight_smile:

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

It's not that easy. It has to hook into the vBulletin add-ons system so it means no modifications to vBulletin core code (otherwise we can't update vBulletin without reapplying the changes). Everything in vBulletin is stored in the MySQL database and is retrieved with MySQL database queries as needed.

I have found an add-on that may form a useful starting point. It is a daily PM quota one, but it hooks into the right part of vBulletin (when a PM is sent) and can display error messages. So the vBulletin hooks and interface are there, I would need to change the checks it does and the messages it displays. So better than starting from scratch, as I only need to think about the logic and not the interfacing.

7. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

It is unfortunate that changes like this need to be made, but the goal of Empty Closets must always be a safe haven for those under majority members. I just think it is a shame that things happen on a "safe haven" site to warrant these changes.

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Have fun with those changes tomorrow! It sounds like several hours of S Club 7 is in order :grin:

9. LOVEjames

I'm a little confused as to the Visitor Messages being taken away, I mean... can't you just announce that they're public and everything? It seemed pretty obvious to me, since when you're posting a message on someone's profile, you can see other people's messages and everything. Personally, I like the visitor messages and everything. <3

10. Chaz

I'm hoping the new member ranking works well, I might not post much but I think i'm active enough in the community and chat :wink:

11. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

Hmmm..... This seems almost like over-kill but what ever you gotta do to keep me from getting raped by some grandpa I'm ok with:icon_bigg

12. Master Hade

Master Hade Guest

I think with all these new changes you will end up making the site too inclusive. No one will want to work hard enough to like be an established member... I don't know. I still think its just a bit of over kill. After all I came here to talk and meet other gay people who have or are experienceing problems I'm facing. I wanted to meet people and stuff. It seems your going to scare people off with this whole thing. Hmmm I'm just kinda thinking out loud.

13. EM68

I'm not a big fan of limiting access to member profiles. I have found it very helpful looking at postings by people my own age. I think it will hurt the spirit of this great site.

14. MeskElil

Working to get to Full Member status is going to be difficult, yes, but for those who are active in the site and happy with it and encouraged to make it better it will probably be easier. And of course you can apply for the status at any time...you just need to have some background to you first.
    These changes, I believe, are completely necessary for ensuring the health and well-being of all the people on this site. And those who really care about the site and put time into it will reap rewards and be able to do more things.
    But it's just going to have to work that way. There's no other way around it.

15. Grof142007

Hate to say it but since these changes it has really kill my mood for EC even tho it probably wont affect me seeing ill probably be full member. also that and the BIG ANNOYING notice update at top i mean yea it was good which i didn't see it but seeing it every time i log in is just annoying... hopefully once all this is done i can get back into mood of EC

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sadly I have to say, I think that the changes are going to end up killing EC =( I mean, as Hade mentioned, nobody new is going to work hard enough to get to become an established member. If I were joining a new forum, I wouldn't want to do all that work. I mean, I don't even know anyone there. People may still join, post a bit but quit. And eventually, a large amount of established members will slowly get bored as there will be less people posting, etc. and they will slowly become less and less active and find other things in life and forget about EC. It's sad, but I feel that with these changes, that is what will come of EC =( I hope that these changes will be altered a little bit in the future.

17. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We hate these changes as much as you all do. As you would have read from the first post in the original announcement however, we do not have much choice in the matter.

We are still trying to find ways to minimise the impact and make it as straightforward as possible for people to get to the "Full Member" status. We are also still considering whether we really need to be quite as restrictive in certain areas to achieve the requirements.

There is going to be some learning for all of us, and things may well change over the next few days and weeks. Please bear with us and allow us time to work things out. Please also use Ask The Staff to communicate any concerns with us that you don't want public.

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

As Martin posted here http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?p=262624#post262624 we have decided to allow Regular Members to continue to view and create albums and blogs, however they cannot leave comments on other peoples photos and blogs. We are also keeping Visitor Messages but Regular Members cannot post them. However this all may change in the future.

The aim of the changes was to prevent unmonitored private communications between unapproved members. Because blogs and albums are public we think it is worth keeping them for now and watching closely how they are used.

The PM restrictions will be applied probably in two weeks time.

Our aim is to minimise the risk of inappropriate unmonitored private communication while allowing people to use as much of the site as possible. It is a difficult balance to achieve.

19. Tim

Tim

Paul, I'm just a bit curious. If regular members can now view and make albums, what was the point of removing the picture thread? Sure, they could comment in that thread, but at the same time, removing the picture thread was for "safety", but allowing new members to view albums would remove the "safety" in removing the picture thread wouldn't it? :confused: As any comments in that thread were completely public, and comments sent through PMs because of the thread would still happen from viewing albums. Sorry, just a little confused on that aspect o.o

I was also curious about the profile messages as James was, but you cleared that up, which I'm glad. If someone can't notice there's other people's comments under their own, then they aren't really paying attention o.o

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We have only just decided to leave the albums and blogs available today, on the basis that they are public so can't be used for unseen inappropriate contact. We are not sure if it can stay that way though. I'd like them to but it may not be possible.

So the approach is a cautious "let's continue to allow blogs and albums, but not allow regular members to post comments on them, for now and see how it goes". In a couple of weeks when we apply the PM restrictions we can review it and see where we are.

The picture posting thread was removed from view a while ago, before today's decision.
    While PMs are available to new members we do not want to encourage picture posting in the forums. It's not a good thing to encourage anyway, especially with some images are hosted away from EC.

What we are trying to do is find a way of reducing the amount of changes and limitations for members while still achieving the requirements that have been set out by the site owners for the safety of members. So there may be some inconsistencies and changes while we try to figure out the best compromise. Bear with us please!