1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you were straight..

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simba29, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so, but my family isn't exactly pro-gay. They support marriage equality, but gay people are freaks to my family. I might have also thought of it that way.

2. AKTodd

Given the way my mom raised me, I don't think I'd see the issue of gay rights any differently or much differently. She's very much into the whole 'do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt anyone' kind of thing.

Todd

3. Aldrick

I wish I could say, "yes absolutely." However, given my background and the community in which I was raised...

I knew I was gay from the moment I knew what the word meant, and the word was associated with very bad things considering my rather religious background.

That being said, I think a lot would depend on whether or not I remained a Christian. I didn't lose my faith because I was gay, but it was the fact that I was gay that forced me to look into it more deeply and ask questions that I might not have asked.

Honestly, I've thought about this on a number of occasions in the past. The thought of having been born straight instead of gay is rather terrifying, because it would effectively erase the person that I am today. I happen to *LIKE* the person that I am today, despite all my flaws and all the struggles and issues I've faced. So, it's very likely that I would be a completely different person, maybe even with a completely different set of values.

4. biggayguy

I would have been at least tolerant if not accepting. Don't think I would have marched in pride parades but would have been watching on the sidewalk. I have become accepting because of my orientation.

#24 biggayguy, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  5. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely would have still accepted homosexuals, because I did before I knew I wasn't straight. I was fine with bisexuals too. I didn't know about asexuality for a long time, but once I knew about it, I thought it was fine - and then only later began to think 'is that me?'

About the only group I was a bit prejudiced against were trans people, because I thought they bought into gender stereotypes and thought that having cross-gender personality and behavioral traits automatically meant you were that gender. But me identifying as asexual didn't change that - it was actually getting to know a trans boy that did it.
    I was raised by two feminist anti-racist straight allies, and they made it clear to me early on that LGTB people were just fine. It was part of basically raising me to oppose all kinds of discrimination. I feel so lucky to have them as my parents.

6. TSN2012

Hmm..This is a very good question.
    Sadly, I can tell you that if I was straight, I would be quite disgusted by homosexuals. How do I know this? Well, because before I even knew that I was gay, I wasn't exactly a big fan of homosexual people, even though I was very feminine myself. Thinking back, I am now really disgusted by the way I used to think. It is as if I have to be 'gay' inorder to accept 'gay' people. It makes me so biased and selfish. :icon_sad:

7. Aielar

When I wasn't aware of my sexual orientation - when I thought I was straight - I had no problem with the lgbtq community, although I didn't have much awareness or knowledge around it. So, I would have been just fine/accepting if I was straight after all.

8. vhrebels

vhrebels Guest

I probably would have a negetive opinion of homosexuals if I was straight. My parents think homosexuality is morally wrong, a sin, a disorder, and should be illegal. I hear alot of negetive things about homosexuality on a daily basis from them and kids at my school, so I most likely would have had a bad opinion of the LGBT community. It's common for people where I'm from to hate homosexuals. Being gay has definitely been a struggle for me, because I grew up in the Church of Christ, which is a really conservative branch of Christianity. Coming to accept my sexuality was really hard, but I think that being gay has made me a better person. I'm obviously accept the LGBT community now, and I understand that there isn't anything wrong with being gay. It's made me a more understanding person in general.

9. Ahri

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think I'd still be okay with it. My school is very supportive of LGBT things and we have posters and have purple day where we have like an event in the main hall that's fun at lunchtime

10. Sarcastic Luck

Given that I only recently started questioning my gender and was therefore, straight, the answer is fairly simple: I had no issue. I had/have several friends that are gay, and personally, found them fun to be around.

11. I probably would still be very supportive of LGBT rights. I would also be very accepting. It's mostly because I live in a liberal county (Los Angeles County) and I've been surround by gay friendly friends all my life.

12. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Some very interesting comments thanks for sharing guys! :slight_smile:
    I really do feel sad for those who have families that are so against being gay or bi. I'm grateful that my family now accept that I can swing both ways. I don't think I could handle them never coming to terms with it..it would distance my relationship with them.

13. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    i dont know how i would feel. Unless i get into somthing then i have a bit of a steryotyping problem. I mean, before i realized i was bi i had a bit of a LGBT steryotype going, but i was accepting of it. So id support it, but steryotpe it.
    Thank god i dont have steryotypes anymore, you guys are really cool

14. Spatula

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wouldn't be much different, personality-wise. My life would be less interesting though, arguably.

15. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh yeah. If I wasn't gay myself I doubt I'd be so understanding to other gay people. In a way, it's been a huge blessing & opened my eyes to a whole different side of the world.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Even before I knew I was always accepting of gays, so I think so.

17. BornInTexas

I had that brief moment in time where denial convinced me I was straight as an arrow. I still thought that gay marriage was okay, and why were people opposed to the idea of people, regardless of gender, getting married? They're not hurting anything, right?

I like to think that if I was straight, I'd still be like I am today, just with girls.

18. ilovebears

I've always supported equality for all humans, but I have to admit, I'm becoming more active with gay rights than I have before I realized I'm gay. However, being a masculine male, I have always been a huge supporter for women's equality.

I guess I can say that I feel a bit guilty for caring about LGBT more now that I identify as such. Damnit!

19. Dans le placard

Good question. I am quite a liberal person overall, but still, part of me wonders whether I'd been completely accepting having not had to live in the person's shoes. That said, before I knew I was gay, I did have a lot of benevolent feelings towards gay people and didn't understand the level of hatred that my peers had. My parents are equally open minded and would have stamped down on any very homophobic remarks, so any real pressure would have come from school and friends. And I'm sure actually meeting gay people and seeing that they're not some kind of sex-crazy monsters waiting to come onto any given person of their own gender would have made a difference.

20. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

It'd be less relevant but I'm sure i'd be fine with it