1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If you can turn off your emotions.. would you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Z3ni, Apr 29, 2014.

1. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I.. have a friction going on within myself.. About wanting a boyfriend.. the intimacy.. and not wanting someone.. because.. I feel its unneeded..

I can't decide if this is how I actually feel.. or it's because of insecurity.. sometimes.. I just wish you can turn off your emotions.. wouldn't that just be great?... No? I don't know... hm.

2. PotatoSmuggler

Me too. I feel lonely, but every time I'm around people, I want to isolate myself again. I think I just like the idea of relationships. They're too hard, too tedious, too time consuming, and just too much drama.

I wish I could turn off some of my emotions, but not all of them. I want to feel something. Comfort or content would be nice.

3. Damien

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    hi Z,

no, the world of emotions is part of what makes the human experience so rich, deep and real...turn them off, never! But learn how to negotiate and deal with them in a healthy way, yes.

:slight_smile:

4. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I sort of which I could turn off my desire to have a girlfriend, just because I feel like I would be a terrible partner and wouldn't really deserve one as of yet.

But otherwise, I like my emotions :slight_smile:

5. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

I tried to turn off my emotions, nearly at the line of being similar to a schizoid person.

After, I realised it was an asshole's behaviour.

Are you a man? A true man don't have fear to his emotions.

Now, I'm trying to fight against all my fears. I won't let they defeat me. And I hope I can reborn, this time as a man, not as a kid.

Do the same.

6. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Yes.. That's what I want.. but I feel nothing with people at the moment..

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2014 at 01:06 AM ----------

Yeah.. I always feel I don't deserve a partner.. despite the fact I feel I would be a great one.. I'm just scared they will get bored of me.. and find someone else better.. Like they say.. There's plenty of fish in the sea right?

---------- Post added 30th Apr 2014 at 01:07 AM ----------

Yeah.. I think it's possible.. but it feels so cold and painful at the same time.. I've tried it..

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, pretty sure it is. I can do it at times. Other people find it extremely creepy. But I can see how it would come in handy for some situations.

8. Techno Kid

They suck sometimes, but I would rather have them than not.

9. Kreiger

It might be useful sometimes to turn off emotions, like while taking an exam I'm stressed about, but I'd rather have them than not. They can be a pain, but they're how we enjoy life.

10. 7eye

7eye Guest

YES. They influence my actions and I tend to wear them on my face (i.e. I can't hide them), which makes me look like an idiot and opens me up to manipulation.

11. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, please. I will finally be able to do a proper poker face.

12. Foster

No. If you didn't have emotions you'd be a sociopath xD As much as they suck, they're what allow us to experience empathy. They make us human. Never take that for granted.

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you would've asked me this question in the past, I would've said yes. But now that I am becoming more used to them, they are not as bad. They can be annoying at times, but overall, I feel like they are an important part of who I am.

14. the haunted

I wish emotions were like a light switch that I can turn off and on. Don't we all, though. Lol. If I had to choose whether to have them or do away with them completely, I would choose to keep them. I'm not such an emotional person as it is. Or at least that's not how I base my decisions. I would rather feel than not feel. What's the point in life if you can't feel? I don't want to be a robot.

15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Yes. I'd rather not have them. But I'd still want to be able to feel happiness even though I don't get to feel it often. But everything else can be thrown in the trash.

#15 Nocturnal, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  16. Brandiac

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really need to use the conditional, I've already done this at times, though not consciously. My brain has a sort of defense-system to keep my mind and soul from psychological harm, so I either remove the stimulus (or distance myself from it) or stop feeling anything.

17. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

18. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Emotions are the state of your being, if you turned them off you would have no incentive system and would just stand there in till you died of thirst.

19. Hexagon

No. I suspect emotions are key to our morality. It might be nice to turn off unpleasant emotions, but apart from also turning of nice ones, we'd probably be left with an inability to empathise with others.

20. Marshal Andrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Emotions, like pain, is like a signal to us.

If we feel very lonely, it signals us to find someone, to find a support group.

Imagine, if we will not feel lonely, then what is relationships are for? Lonely triggers us to find new relationships.

And imagine, if we will not feel happy, then that'd be too scary, so colorless!

Emotions add colors to our life.