1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I will never accept straight dudes in my friend group.

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Suspect13, Dec 25, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I understand you. A few days ago, a gay friend of mine from my job and I were talking about this. Our experiences have been very different. He was bullyied at school because of his sexuality, his appearance, his body... and I put all my effort to be invisible, and not "give" any excuse to anybody to bully me. The result was that I found out in my twenties that I could have straight friends, something that until then I thought it was impossible because they couldn't be able to accept me or even understand me, and he really hates everything related to straight world. His comments sometimes hurt me, as he sincerely believes that "straight problems are so selfish, I'm so tired of straight attitude, they are so superficial, so fake...", and my friends are all straight, my brother is, I love them, and it's like he was mocking them. When I told him that most of my friends are now living a life with no self control, he laughed as "typical of straight men in his thirties", and I can't accept that! Gay men could experience the

But I understand it's his perception, the result of how he learnt, unfortunately, as he carries with a lot of pain and lack of confidence in others. However, I believe in no limits. My best friend is straight. He's been the most supportive and affectionate man with me that I've ever met, and he has never felt uncomfortable with me. But I know that it's not common. And I'm sure that my straight friends will never understand completely how painful it's being a gay man, as we all have experience a lot of pain that they don't know. But it's something that I have to accept if I want to have them as friends. And it's something that I could explain to them, because it's based in their ignorance.

What I want to say is that I understand your point, I don't share it, but I wanted to express that some straight men could share a lot of love for us, as we are human beings: brothers, sons, friends... And it's not compassion, but true love. I hope you could find it sometime in a near future. And if you don't, or don't want too, that's ok. But don't close that door completely.

#21 Altanero, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    Chillton likes this.
  2. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Straight couples at restaurants are like vampires, they can't sit at your table unless you invite them. So... who invited them? That's who you need to talk to.

Lie, and tell your friend that you think the straight folks they invited are just amazing. Then tell the truth, that this friend group is very important to you, and you don't want to lose it.

If your friend asks if it has anything to do with them being straight, lie again, and say that you would never judge a person based on who they love. Then tell the truth, that yes, having a group of gay friends is important enough to you to be worth holding on to.

Of course, if I'm reading between the lines and assuming that you don't really want to get rid of the straight people, but that what you really want is to preserve what sounds like a really great friend group. My advise only works if keeping your friends is more important to you than getting rid of their straight friends.

If you want to get rid of your gay friends' straight friends, you don't need anyone's advice. You know what to do. Raise hell, start the drama, watch the entire social circle burn, start a new one with whatevers left. But I don't think that's what you're going for.

3. Suspect13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I’m not going to let a bunch of straight men ruin my friend group.

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If that works for you, then more power to you.

But I submit to you that it is unworkable. Straight men are some 90% of the population. They're everywhere. And if you have this severely distorted perception of the world, it is going to impact your life in many ways (unless you manage to go to live in some place like Provincetown, where there are hardly any straight people). But even there... from what you are describing, it sounds like it is severely triggering to think about or spend time with a straight person. What if you decide to take a class? What if your employer has straight men that you have to work with? What if you need medical care and some (or all) of your doctors are men who are straight?

And you may alienate your existing friends if you persist in holding this disorted view that "straight people are going to ruin your friend group." You may not see it, but saying this is no less offensive than saying "I'm not going to have any friends who are [black/asian/indian/etc]." At some point, it's going to get you labeled a bigot.

Do you not see how holding this incredibly painful (and wildly distorted) perception of straight men is going to create a lot of misery in your life?

I assure you, this is a very solvable problem if you are willing to address it. If you don't, the impact that those bullies had are likely to continue following you everywhere, forever.

#24 Chip, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    quebec, Rayland, LlouW and 3 others like this.
  5. Suspect13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your reply. I do not think that gay people are on equal ground to straight people. If I am labeled a bigot for merely not wanting to be around straight men and trying to avoid problems with them, then what does that make them? It makes them worse because they do far worse things to other gay men. Far worse. Besides, it’s no secret that most straight men are homophobic and do not want anything to do with gay men. Straight men have always vilified gay men. And they have been our worst enemies. I’m just trying to avoid them. Straight men want to do far worse.

6. LlouW

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It sounds like you have some type of bitterness to straight people. I am guilty of being bitter myself - towards other gay women! The point is anyone can feel bitter, usually triggered by bad experiences. But remember the phrase, two wrongs don't make a right! Yes some straight men do not treat gay men properly, very true, but we should all set a good example. And straight people should also try to treat us properly, right?
    Set an example - every drop in the ocean makes a difference.

Chillton likes this.
  7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are using a number of generalizations that are problematic. Not every straight man has vilified the LGBTQ2S+ community; not every straight man is homophobic. Otherwise, none of us who identify as LGBTQ2S+ would be having male friends who are straight.

The way you are going about this, and your desire to protect your friends, could potentially lead to a negative impact on your friendships. Please understand, that you cannot protect your friends without having a conversation either with them or their straight friends. This is where you enter the realm of, 'here is with whom you can be friends, and with whom you cannot be.' A friend could come back to you and ask you, 'what gives you the right to determine who my friends are?'

And to Chip's point, the way you are labeling straight persons/men, and placing everyone into the same basket, you could also end up being labelled a prejudiced person which in turn, and depending on the context, situation, could cause you harm personally and professionally. You could end up closing doors to employment opportunities, or promotions due to not receiving a favourable employment reference.

Unfortunately, and given the entrenchent of your beliefs, there is potential that your beliefs and feelings towards straight men could come out through how you express yourself, and/or your body language. A substantial part of our communication is body language, non-verbal communication. You might not need to say anything for someone to figure out that your behaviour or actions around straight men, could be off or problematic.

Each of the arguments you have presented can be refuted either through data, or lived experiences, some of which were already shared with you in this thread.

I would very much encourage you to start addressing the trauma informing your responses.

Rayland and Altanero like this.
  8. mjl

mjl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being scared and intimidated by straight men… I guess that’s probably why I’m in the situation I’m in, half way through my life and still not out. I’ve seen that change over the years though, and it depends on the social circle, much less of a concern in academic circles for e.g. i think some people are good some aren’t, it’s not because of their sexuality per se, but we’re all understandably scarred.

MrMaff likes this.
  9. Suspect13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A lot of gay people feel the same way that I do. Me being prejudiced to straight people is nothing compared to what they have done to gay people. The only way I can begin healing is to be around gay men.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue here is not you being friends with gay men and that it can help you in finding safety and having a safety net as it were, rather the issue is that you are placing an entire population into the same basket and label them as being homophobic and villains.

Yes, there are straight men, who are homophobic, bullies and do not think kindly about gay men but those are not the majority of straight men or straight persons.

Recognise that the unfortunate experience you had of being bullied was inflicted by a group of people who belong to a small minority of straight men, some of whom are probably gay themselves, deep in the closet.

This does not excuse their behaviour or actions and the pain they can cause or have caused on others, such as yourself, but you cannot blame every single straight man out there or say they are homophobic or wanting to inflict pain on the community. That is not the case.

Sure, some gay people might feel the way you do, but there are also a lot of gay people that do not feel the same way. There are a lot of gay people who have friendships with straight men without a problem - myself included.

To others with whom you interact, they might not care how you feel about straight men, but what they might care about is how you are being preceived, and how you come across.

As said before, by not dealing with the trauma, and starting to heal, to a point where you can recognise that not every straight man or person is homophobic, or don't feel you need to protect your friends as a result of your experience, you are running the risk of doing or saying things that could have unintended consequences, including the potential loss of friends that are part of your safety net.

Rayland and Altanero like this.
  11. Altanero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was afraid of straight men too. And I'm still are. Times may have changed, yes, but I'm sure there will be always a part of their behaviour that can't be able to fully understand where did our grief come from and how it built our personality. At least, in people of my generation, who used to treat queer people as freaks, even bullied them... and, when they grew up, they discovered that we were fine, we could be good and nice people, our sexuality didn't defined us and the way they have to treat us.

They needed their own path of learning, too.

As I did. Of course, I've stop every relationship with straight men who apparently were kind and understanding with me, but they were really being condescending. I don't want that in my life. I prefer being the gay friend who explains his straight friends how I feel, because it's something they don't know nothing about. And they have the right to know it... because they care about me.

However, it seems that it's a path you refuse to take. And I understand that. Just keep in mind that you can't avoid your gay friends having straight friends. And, also, we all are afraid of toxic environments, which hurt us in the past, and we tend to believe that they are everywhere. But this doesn't seem the same case. Those straight guys want to meet you... because your sexuality don't annoy or bother them. They don't seem to fit in the same pattern of bullies that we all fear.

I really hope you could heal that pain, because it's unbearable, and find peace and trust in others.

12. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, yes, you've been really really clear about that.

What's less clear is what you're looking for. If you want advise about how to preserve your friend group, I'm sorry, but you won't like the answer. It involves being empathetic, open-minded, and eating your vegetables. In my experience, EC is a gentle, conflict-resolution oriented community. Everyone's giving you the same advise because it's the only way you're going to maintain your social circle without burning down the restaurant. You asked, we answered.

You're fishing for advise, catching a lot, and throwing it all back. I don't think you want advise. I think you need to vent, and sometimes that's as essential for health as oxygen. If this isn't the place to come for venting, I don't know what is. So vent away. Rage against those straight people as much as you need to. Go dark with it. Get creative. Don't worry about what members of polite society would say. Most importantly, have fun!

I recommend this for the same reason that vomiting is often the best course of action for someone who's had way too much to drink.

You're acting like you have a belly full of Haterade to purge. So purge away, and if you feel better when you're done, let's talk about how you can keep things civil with your gay friends.

Until then, go off king. I vote that this thread be declared a temporary safe space, where Suspect13 can say anything at all without being contradicted or held to any sort of account (until Suspect13 is good and ready).

#32 staticinmyattic, Jan 6, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  13. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello All.....Empty Closets is indeed a good place to vent when you need to! As long as everybody remembers that we do have members as young as 13 years old! AND.....everybody has a right to their opinion even when the majority disagrees. However, that majority should try to express their response in such a way that they are not attacking the person...just disagreeing with their opinion. One of the most basic tenets of Empty Closets is that we are here to help each other. OK, sometimes helping means disagreeing and pointing out a better idea...but let's try to do it without rancor. The LGBTQ Family gets enough of that from the outside, let's try not to fight among ourselves too. Please...:old_frown:
    .....David :gay_pride:flag:

Altanero, Rayland and Chillton like this.
  14. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    And Again.....Having just made the above post, I'd like to say that several members, including some other staff members have made some excellent posts explaining why @Suspect13 might want to reconsider his position on straight folks joining his friend group. I think I can understand how @Suspect13 feels...he has been hurt repeatedly by straight guys and simply doesn't want it to happen again. Pretty straight forward! (small joke there :old_smile: ) The difficulty I see is that he wants his friend group to literally stay in a kind of stasis and never change. Or perhaps interview any potential new members about their sexuality? I don't know that either one of those situations will be practical. So I would suggest to @Suspect13 that the time may come when your friend group may change...will you change with it or will you withdraw and isolate yourself?
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

15. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I want to say one thing. There are straight people within the lgbt+ community as well. There are trans people who are straight and men and women who are straight. This generilzation hurts them too. There are trans people out there who could end up being the biggest support pillars for you.
    I don't think there will be any favourable answers for you. The point of EC is to seek support and possibly starting your journey to heal, if you wish to do so yourself. One thing with fears is to face and overcome them and this will lead to healing. It's all not about who you agree to hang out or not. It's your own choice. It's about generalization. You put some people within one group with everyone else. If you want to discuss the causes of that fear and need support, then it's another thing, but refusing all reasonable advice won't help you. There is venting and there is healthy venting and with healthy venting you try to be open to different ideas and suggestions that even may not seem at first to be helpful. Take what resonates and what don't refuse politely. Everyone are trying to be helpful for you. Topics like this are bound to give you many different opinions.

16. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If the above (and in my opinion, wholly reasonable) comment about respect and conduct was at all a reference my post, I apologize. I admit that I intended it to be a little spicy, but never hostile or hurtful.

The point I intended to make is that sometimes we’re so mad that we can’t approach a practical problem practically, and that the Suspect13 may need to purge that anger first, without being held to the standards of polite society. Kind of a primal scream, freeing his thoughts to attend to his actual situation.

Chillton likes this.
  17. staticinmyattic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for speaking to the variety of presentation and identification in the LGBTQ community. I'd have begun the process of accepting myself as a transgender woman much earlier in life if it weren't for the gatekeepers trying to keep the LGBTQ community small. I didn't know who or what I was yet, just that queer people and queer spaces were the only places where I felt safe and comfortable. I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, because when I tried to find my people, my people chased me away based on surface level assessment. That shit hurts. It's important to remember that straight-presenting people typically don't seek out queer spaces to straighten them out. They seek out queer spaces to queer themselves up.

Chillton and Altanero like this.
  18. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm just doing what is my duty. I'm advocating for us all, because it's important and this is why I try to educate the healthcare providers here too. I know how it feels to be exluded. There are also very kind straight people in this forum who are not lgbt+, but still need support or education whether they are family or friends of lgbt+ members or not.

Chillton likes this.
  19. Suspect13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it’s been a few days. I did not attend dinner this week with my friends. I am planning to attend next week and I am going to invite some new gay friends to offset the balance at the table. I am planning to make these straight dudes as uncomfortable as possible in hopes that they go away and stop talking to my friends.

20. tearingtherose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You've been upset with your original friendship group for adding people, how do you think they'll perceive you adding people? You're risking your friendships in the hopes of returning to the old group you had before. If those that you don't desire depart, will you kick out your new invites?

Altanero and Rayland like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.