1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my husband and have a question

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Elle993, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I respectfully but totally disagree. I bet he wants them, just as @StefanSoul wants them from his wife and just as half the world has stalked an ex-partner's new partner on social media because they 'wanted' to know everything about them and the relationship they were dumped for! It doesn't mean that any of those people are owed the details, nor that it is beneficial in any way for them to know the details - it's just human nature. It certainly isn't something @Elle993 should feel pressured into or made to feel guilty over not sharing.

Elle993 and LostInDaydreams like this.
  2. StefanSoul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well it's ok for us to disagree my friend. I was however referring to people currently married. Not people with ended relationships. So if I misread or missed something then my apologies on that. I was basing my comment off the original post. To my understanding she is still married. So my point of view was based off of that which I stand by my words on that. That's just how I personally feel because to me marriage is a sacred thing and should not be taken lightly.

Also I just want to correct one misconception regarding myself though. I don't want anything per say from my wife right now except to focus on what she needs and is going threw. So I need that to be clear from jump. I also don't have to ask my wife very often if I want to know something. She shares things willingly with me of her own accord. We share things willingly with each other. That's not to say we haven't ever dropped the ball or made mistakes. We're only human. More often then not mistakes get made because we are trying to protect one another. As a general rule of thumb that is how we try to be though. That being said I personally believe if your in a relationship with someone then yes you owe it to them to be the best you that you can possibly be and be entirely open and honest and that means sometimes answering the hard questions and that door swings both ways. Otherwise why bother getting married at all?

Now when it comes to the matter of exes if it is a fresh break up in a relationship then yes I do feel the humane thing to do is answer all the questions the other person has to best of your ability so that they may find some sense of closure to it all. Anything less then that is just cruel. Now if it's a situation of a lot of time has past down the road then I'd agree with you and say yes nothing is owed. I personally do not have that issue as most my exes became friends after a certain amount of time has past and often hit me up for advice. Now I don't mind that, but sometimes I wish they didn't do the caring and sharing thing quite so much. lol :grin:

3. Treehouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I was also shocked at how well my husband took it. I had been stressing over this for some time and I eventually set a date and time to tell him and my children. I thought he would be angry or he would cry but he did neither. He told me that he loved me so he wants me to be happy. We also haven’t taken any steps to separate and for anyone who doesn’t know, it would appear that nothing has changed. We did agree that it would be ok for me or him to seek other relationships as long as I don’t flaunt it in his face. He claims to not want to meet anyone and is happy living together despite the lack of intimacy. I, however, don’t feel that way. As much as I’m in love with my best friend, I can’t expect her to leave her marriage. If she ever does we would probably be together but she is not at the same place as me yet. It hurts that I’ve found exactly what I want but I can’t have her. She constantly complains about how unhappy she is I’m her marriage and how she wished she met me before she got married but she holds her vows sacred. She is also 10 years younger than me so maybe she is still too scared to take the leap or maybe she just likes to tease me with the thought that we could be together. I don’t know but I do know that I want to seek out a relationship with a woman at some point but I just don’t know when or where I’ll find this person but I’m sure I’ll know when our paths cross. I can’t wait for my friend because she has given me no reason to believe that this will ever happen. For now, it seems to work living with my husband. We have separate bedrooms and he is respecting my boundaries and talks to me about my feelings. Some days it makes me question if I’m doing the right thing because he has been so wonderful but I know I’m my heart that he can’t give me what I need and vice versa.

Elle993 likes this.
  4. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you for your perspective - it really helps to hear what might be going on from his side of things... I did end up answering all of his questions regarding these types of details over a week ago. He felt like I was being guarded or withholding something from him and so I realized at that moment that it was important to describe exactly how I knew I felt the way I did. Initially, yes I thought it would be hurtful to basically tell him why I felt sexually attracted to women but it also ended up helping him to better understand where exactly I was on this journey. We are still trying to figure all of this out and some conversations are pretty difficult but overall the communication is open and honest and that feels so much better for both of us compared to when I was trying to figure all of this out on my own.

LostInDaydreams and Drizzle like this.
  5. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I get that for sure! I almost feel like now that this is in the open I’m able to acknowledge and admit to myself more that I am indeed attracted to women and now have a desire to get that validation so I can say for sure yes this is it or oops not what I was thinking. He is understanding of what I am going through but he is not in a place where I’d would be ok with me exploring this physically with another. If or when I get to that point then he would want to separate.

6. Elle993

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree as well.. the day after I told him about my orientation we had therapy and the therapist specifically said, especially while he is in a state of shock, he is going to ask a lot of questions and want to know specific details but this is not always helpful... I did eventually tell him but not from feeling pressure or guilt but from realizing he needed to understand more about where I was with all of this... to connect the dots of what this actually means for me. I didn’t give him details of what specifically made me feel sexual attraction but more about the theme or what I was exposed to that made me feel this way. For example if I saw someone, read a book or watched a movie I didn’t go into details of what I read or when I read it etc... just how it made me feel.

LostInDaydreams and Broccoli like this.
  7. Broccoli

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It sounds like you're handling it really well @Elle993.

Elle993 likes this.
  8. TrailDog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You don't have to *prove* anything, you get to define yourself.