1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am a tofu stir fry

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pret Allez, May 4, 2014.

1. finlandwrc

Oh ok interesting.

2. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um...

And I thought I started something with the Gnerd Army...

Dat satire tho.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Will you be staying on EC? Or are you going to go and join the support group Empty Woks, instead?

4. Minamimoto_Fan

Maybe yum can go to beatingadeadhorse.com it has many wacky shinanigans I know mmm would absolutely love to do

5. Techno Kid

I for one hope that everyone respects the pronouns yum identifies with.

I'm sure on EC you can find another Tofu Stir Fry to get to know better so you can see you are not alone.

6. RainbowVomiter

what unique prejudice do tofu stir frys experience? is it called tofustirfryphobia or nonfoodism?

7. newfish

And what is the privelige equivalent? Maybe cisconsistency privelige - the privelige of those who identify with the material they are made up of.

8. Just Jess

I'm honestly glad I missed Tumblr coming to EC. Sometimes I am also glad to read the things Pret says, because they're things I was thinking myself and thought the better of posting. This is one of those times.

Just the same, I don't think anyone else is going to be the one to say this so I will.

People come here for support. Even people we disagree with. I know sometimes it doesn't seem like they are here for support. Sometimes it seems like they just want enough people to agree with them that they can make whatever they say they are a "thing". They see gay is a "thing", they see trans is a "thing". That's how they see us.

And I know it's frustrating, because this "thing" is something that pardon my bad English sucks ass for a lot of us. Some of us get fired from our jobs because they find out we just happen to have a husband or wife outside of work, or we don't laugh at the shitty office jokes everyone else is laughing at. Worse things happen to some of us that I won't even talk about, that make us terrified. Just us being us is hard. This "thing" would exist even if it weren't a "thing". We all try a million compromises before we just decide to say screw it, I am working with who I am and accepting what I can't change. We try every little idea everyone around us has so that we don't have to be us.

So yeah. It sucks, when someone comes in here, and takes that little bit of social acceptance we have won, and treats it like being "Irish" on St Patrick's day. I do get it.

But really think for just a second about what is going through the head of someone that actually does that in real life. Think about what day-to-day is to that person. Think about how many IRL friends they have. The one or two good ones, are the ones that shared "otherkin" with them on Tumblr. A place where they can be around other people that won't treat them like shit. They suddenly have friends. They belong. They have an identity. They have room to explore themselves.

Isn't that why a lot of us come here? I know it's one of the reasons I do.

EC is not a crutch for me. I am out there every day trying to find a way to live my life. Most of my friends aren't trans or gay. I'm trying to date again. I'm looking for a way to balance work and what I need to do to make my life work.

But I can guarantee Tumblr is a crutch for anyone who comes here trying to get as many people to "identify" - sorry if you are a fan of that word and I totally respect you if you are, but I really hate that word; I don't "identify", I "am", but anyway - the same way as they do. Trans isn't who I am, trans describes a part of who I am in a way that makes at least a little bit of sense to them. Engineer, or maybe Veteran, are better words to describe who I am.

So next time people show up, and they are trying to say what they are is just like what you are, when what they are isn't causing them anywhere near the problems what you are is causing you? How about, we show them, that this place is here for support, but not a crutch. We have awesome forum games, we have smart people and gamers in the tech section, and some of you have said some really deep stuff in chit-chat. We're more than just gay or bi or trans. We're people.

Please next time, let's just let them say what they are going to say, roll our eyes, and then ask them something to break them out of their little shells? Do you like to snowboard? What's your favorite video game? If you feel like you have to respond, then how about in a way that makes them be people?

Because we are here to support them. And IMO they need it.

Even if you can't, please don't gang up on anyone you disagree with, ever. I know that's not what's going on here. But please don't.

9. Sarcastic Luck

I came here to escape tumblr and all of its bullshit. I came here to figure out what the hell my feelings were about and maybe figure out how to fix it. Tumblr, very rarely, is a place for support, given that gave the time people will agree on one thing last week, but disagree on the same thing this week.

A very large portion of the people on tumblr that go "I identify as (blah)", and it's some outlandish thing, are either trolls or seeking to be special snowflakes for the attention. I've known people in real life like that. People that would claim that have x illness for the attention. In short, things that screws things up for people that actually have issues and problems.

I'm sorry, but no. I'm not going to support someone that tries to tell me that they're a faerie and that I should use faerie pronouns for them.

...Actual thing I've seen, by the way. They demanded to be called fae/faeself/and something else I can't remember. Then would sic their little army on people who accidentally screwed up.

But hey. I'm jaded and pretty much just hate the world.

10. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Thank god this is satire, right?
    ...I hope. Otherwise, well, I feel my SAN meter dropping already.
    Well, Just Jess, I can say one thing. We cannot support every decision that people make.
    There are consequences to actions. People do stupid things sometimes, and sometimes, we need to be stern about people's decisions. At the same time, outright attacking people will either a) cause someone to become very sad or b) help fuel their need for attention. I think we should help them channel their imaginations in a way that's more constructive.

By the way, I really don't like being called an "identity", either.

#30 An Gentleman, May 5, 2014
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
  11. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    But... But I am a real tofu stir fry! :tears:

12. Sarcastic Luck

[​IMG]

13. Minamimoto_Fan

Is it just me, or doesn't this seem to belong somewhere else, like say, /lgbt/ on 4chan? This kind of stuff is what they feed on over there.

I'm all for satire, but this is overstepping it, don't you think?

14. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In this thread, you might see satire. I see a very serious discussion about appropriating trans issues and experiences.

15. starfish

Someone has been drinking, and for once I'm not that someone.

16. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

But-but I identify as chicken!! Don't appropriate my poultry issues to look good! Some of us try very hard to provide a lean source of protein!

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I seem to have missed the thread regarding this topic, but I must say the level of awesome here is astoundingly excessive. :lol:

18. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a bean, and how dare you disrespect my beanliness by pretending to be the victim of appropriation! We've been (haha get it, bean?) around longer, and provide even healthier protein.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a transethnic fishkin.

20. Aquilo

I'm a Tuna. I have far more healthier proteins than you have and I'm far more tastier. I have all essential amino acids in the right quantities, while you are a bit too low in methionine. My tastiness is even better when you realize my lean tasty meat also contains vitamin B12 and yummy oils. Beware though, I like to store heavy metals in my meat, if the sea is polluted, to take revenge on the human enemy who has slaughtered all my friends and brought my species nearly to extinction.