1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to react when you meet someone smarter than you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TLC, Feb 11, 2014.

1. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I like it I could learn things from them , I don't like it when they try to play the i'm better than you because I'm smart game .

2. Miles16

Miles16 Guest

If you feel like they have something worth imparting to you, listen and learn from them. No one has a monopoly on what's really going on here.

3. Stripe101

4. Simple Thoughts

:roflmao:

5. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I actually get excited because I am always looking for other people's opinions and viewpoints on obscure and complicated topics, and to meet someone who is smarter than me is a unique opportunity. I rarely get threatened or nervous since I am only competitive with myself, so I only care if I'm achieving what I think I can achieve.

6. robotman

It doesn't really phase me to be honest... I mean, I just act like how I usually do. Don't let it bother you too much, I am sure there are things that you know that he doesn't. Just think of it like you have a different type of intelligence. Don't feel dumb or anything, its nothing to worry about :slight_smile:.

7. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Listen and use their intelligence to up mine for example my best friend is an expert on WW2 history I also know a lot on the matter but he was far superior so, I listened learnt and beat him on the History mock exam simple.

8. Foxface

I'm going to answer this is my best professional manner

As a person who has taken and GIVEN IQ tests to others I want to explain to you about so called intelligence.

If you are and advocate of IQ tests you're going to learn to very important facets of IQ very quickly

1. IQ tests are very much about pattern recognition and ability to learn in conventional settings (IE reading and responding)

I'll get back to that in a second

2. IQ is VERY flawed. It's racist for starters and banks heavily on older, white males

Now back to 1

IQ means NADA. I have met people of a proven and very high IQ. They are honest-to-goodness no better than anyone else despite what they might think. I like to use examples so I will pick on myself

I was tested twice in my life and scored quite well. You know what I got as a present for my so-called intelligence? Nothing...exactly nothing. IQ is not a proven indicator of success and happiness. In fact anyone who throws around their IQ are truly not worth your time. If a number is really needed to make someone feel better well I pity that person

Also...as a side note...never take online IQ tests. Not valid at all

I took one and apparently I am on par with Stephen Hawking...yeah bull crap

Now...on a personal note...let's talk smarts. Smarts, intelligence, whatever you want to call it comes in so very many flavors.

I am good at patterning and great at reading people. But man you put a book in front of my face and it doesn't tell me EXACTLY what it's trying to get across I am going to have to reread some of it. Oh sure non-fiction books about Cosmology, Psychology and High Energy Physics I can eat alive. But Poe, Shakespeare and the like...sometimes I have no clue what the **** they are saying.

People can be intelligent in social matters, economical, executive, artistic, and goddess knows how many others

Never feel intimidated. You are fantastic how you are even if you may not understand something someone else does.

IQ is a number and I can tell you honestly from professional and personal experience that I don't believe anyone should ever know their number. It only seeks to promote depression or arrogance over a silly and flawed concept

9. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Intelligence is different than knowledge. I'm a fairly intelligent person, but that doesn't mean that I know more than a less intelligent person. I apply my intelligence to my interests, so I know a good deal about those interests. Everyone in my circle of friends and family have their own interests in which I know less than them. And I will not shy away from the sharing of their knowledge with me.

As Thomas Jefferson once said, "He who knows most, knows best how little he knows."

10. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    IQ tests are a pretty disgusting idea, and they're based on quantifying something that can't really be quantified, at least not in that way.

Everyone knows something someone else doesn't; it's better to analyse it relatively. You can know more about something than someone else, and that generally will make your opinion more relevant and substantial, but that doesn't mean that you should call yourself more intelligent.

The people who believe greatly in their own intelligence tend to be stupid scum. I won't even bother mincing my words.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Paraphrasing Socrates I imagine. But he was absolutely right. The smarter (or at least wiser) someone is, the more humble they are when it comes to things they don't know.

12. Tectonic

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Correct. TJ was a huge fan of Socrates.

The full quote reads, "The wise know their weakness too well to assume infallibility; and he who knows most, knows best how little he knows."

13. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I don't compare myself to people but I a, the stupid one no doubt about that.

14. Awkward Balloon

Not to sound overly confident but it doesn't happen that often. In my school there are only two other people who can best me academically, and they are identical twins. I personally would consider them smarter than me, because although I put very little effort into studying and achieve high marks, they rarely bother to open their books before exams.

But I don't see a need to react in a special way to smarter people. I try to learn from them, and gain knew understanding from them. I idolise them really.

#54 Awkward Balloon, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. As a general rule, people who brag about their own abilities are probably overestimating them - people who are confident in their own abilities have no reason to shout about them.

16. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well intelligence quotient does not actually mean how smart are you in terms of you have like 80 gazillion degrees but is an attempt to quantify how easily you can learn things.

People define intelligence as something you have.

No, intelligence is actually more like something you use. A noun vs. a verb.

It's wisdom and knowledge people are talking about here. I personally believe those of you who are in your teens right now are smarter than my generation in our 30s. It's just that we have more of an education and experience. It is my greatest hope for human evolution both physically and as a species with a collective moral conscience that each generation is better than the last.

17. pace e amore

I learn from them.

18. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with foxface. I once saw this funny graphic, something like "oh, so you can't hunt, you can't build a hut, and you don't know the safe plants to eat, you fail OUR IQ test".

I wish I didn't know my IQ score. I thought of IQ as a rough measure of the ability to adapt and what society values as important. I got a bone to pick with IQ. For starters I don't recall any questions pertaining to music in my IQ tests. Fun times equates to that's when my confidence took a hit. My father told me "It's the wrong side of 150!" and I felt crushed for years. I became pretty interested in the concept of IQ. At least enough to conduct some small experiments. Yes, most people respond with IQ scores of 115 - 130. ONCE a person responded with 90-something IQ and Hell froze over. Various forums. Online IQ tests are rubbish. You don't feel the pressure, they aren't monitored, and they struck me as 'feel good about yourself' things. Too many things wrong.

Intelligence isn't easy to categorise. Humans maybe try to put things into boxes for ease. I may not be the most eloquent guy but I know what I'm good at. Most of my friends and acquaintances are 28 - 40 and they program computers like bosses. I get a big question mark over my head when I try! But I feel smug and I think well they probably couldn't even play a nursery rhyme on my guitar. So I guess it evens out.

"I have no idea. People who boast about their IQ are losers." - Stephen Hawking. When he was being questioned about his IQ.

19. EatYourRikkios

I tend to show off, honestly. I'm... really smart, and I don't mean that in an arrogant way, just in a 'this is what it is' one. I pride myself on my intelligence, on knowing and understanding things, so when I meet someone that I realize is smarter than me, I tend to show off and try to impress them. This generally ends up with me either looking like a total bitch, or making a really interesting friend that's just as happy to flaunt their brain as I am.

Weird caveat? I don't like acting smart normally - being a ditz is way easier!

20. BelleFromHell

I agree, especially about teaching creationism. If adults want to believe silly fairytales that have been scientifically proven as false, that's fine. But brainwashing the minds of children is where I draw the line. My mother claims she's a Christain, but I've never seen her pick up a Bible before, so I'm guessing she's only Christain in the "pray whenever something really bad happens" sense, which is great. I couldn't imagine myself being a creationist, that would be HORRIFYING. :astonished:

Thanks. :slight_smile:
    I'm just afraid colleges won't take me seriously with a GED. I've heard of people with GEDs being discriminated and going though hell and back to get accepted, then I've heard of other people who had no trouble, so hopefully I'll be in the latter catagory. I don't plan on going to any genius schools until I've at least gone though a decent college or two, so hopefully by then no one will really care about the GED.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2014 at 02:23 PM ----------

I'm a bit libertarian as well, I just think by the time a child reaches a certain age, they should be able to deside for themselves what school option is best for them. And I know it can go both ways, some children would rather be homeschooled. I plan on going to a community college right after I get my GED to catch up on my math. I'm not sure what I'll do next.