1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to find a reason to live

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by itsmary, Mar 1, 2015.

1. Wildside

Wildside Guest

We all get depressed at times, and being in the closet makes it worse. It helps to talk it out, and this is a good place to do it. In your first post, it sounded so dark like you really needed to get help from a professional. but the trend of your posts on this thread are increasingly positive. that's encouraging for all of us who share your pain.

2. EpicConfusion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you like you could post on my wall.

3. itsmary

Hey Damien, your message was beautiful. I forgot to say that I gave up on music. For almost 3 years I went to singing lessons and learnt how to play guitar by myself. It was passion, I know what you felt. I was busy and it's stressful but it didnt mind... I wanted to be the best...
    Some weeks ago I realized that I'm not very good at music and that dream vanished. Music is too difficult for me even though I have spent HOURS learning the chords, the harmony, the scales... Music was my life... But now, I just don't feel the same.

---------- Post added 7th Mar 2015 at 02:50 PM ----------

Wildside I'm trying hard to not only focus on the bad things, and this place is helping me more than I expected

4. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You don't need to produce something incredibly complex in music, like a Bach fugue, to move people. An example of this would be Erik Satie.

If you are trying to be like somebody else, 'cause they seem better to you, you'll end up producing just copycat garbage.

To master something, really master it, takes 10 years. You can make the process more enjoyable by trying to broad your knowledge on music, explore, experiment and have fun.

It's normal to feel discouraged... All of us do when we look at our idols, and forget that once they were inexperienced too, they felt also frustrated.

Don't give up. There is a thread called voices of EC, and some folks have uploaded their music. You could give it a try, or at least use this chance to set a goal :slight_smile:

5. itsmary

Vodkabaret Thanks :slight_smile: I'm taking a break from music, I need it. I don't feel like playing right now, but I'm sure I will come back to music some day, it's a real passion and it won't go away so easily.

6. RainDreamer

I find breaking your life to smaller chunks helps. Think of your current life not in terms of its entirety, instead of tiny parts, like months, weeks, or even day. Instead of thinking about how painful it is to live for years and years on, just think about living for today, and today only. It feels much less overwhelmingly depressive, and it gives you a basic goal.

Another thing that might help is like what anonym said, having a pet. You never really feel how important you are in the life of others until you have to take care of a another life that relies on you. I had a hamster, and whenever I held that little ball of fur in my hands, feeling its tiny heart beating, feelings its warmths, feeling its whiskers as it sniff my fingers for food, I remember that I am holding a small life in my hand. That little life is kicking and living all it could, but if I die, it will die too.

Also, a way of expressing your frustration and depression, a way to let everything out is really great. For me it was writing. Many times I wrote things in tears, fearing they will be my last words as I descend further, but I then just focus on the act of writing, of just trying to put a word after another, linking them together until they become a lifeline that holds me in place. Probably only works for me because I am a huge word nerd and really think about what I write and soon that act of thinking and writing just slowly distract me from the thoughts I had before until I calm down and stop thinking about things.

Finally, just roam around the forum here. It feels less lonely when there are others like you, and the internet gives us an amazing way to connect. Making friends and building strong connections are one of the best thing you can do, because each person you have a great connection with can be an anchor you need when you feel like you are slipping away. We are all bounded by hardship, but we are also bonded by them.

Welcome to the family.

7. itsmary

RainDreamer thank you, beautiful words :slight_smile: I do agree in everything.
    I have a little bunny and I love it!
    I think that writing helps too, I write stories when I have free time :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello Mary.

I hope you're doing better.

By the way, I'm from Spain too. I didn't realise the other time I wrote. :lol:

9. itsmary

Hey BlueLion, thank you :slight_smile:

Yeah we are only a few people from Spain but I like it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. lovely lesbian

I hope you feel better soon Hun

11. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    If you need anything, you can count on me :icon_wink (*hug*)

12. itsmary

Thank you lovely lesbian :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2015 at 04:50 PM ----------

Same BlueLion :slight_smile: