1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with the remarks/ defend yourself?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lexa, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How do you deal with remarks concering gender expression or concerning your sexual orientation?

At the moment I ignore the remarks most of the time even when I want to react because I don't know how to react. But when I don't react I often feel bad afterwards because I didn't defend myself. So any advice is welcome.

jof and mnguy like this.
  2. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We all have to decide how much we will tolerate and be prepared to set boundaries with people if they are being disrespectful or imposing. This doesn't only apply to issues around our sexuality or gender identity, but with many things in life. We owe it to ourselves to challenge unacceptable behaviour..

When we ignore something, we refuse to notice it. We disregard the words/actions and carry on, but you're not really doing that because you still feel bad and deflated afterwards. What you are doing is being passive, while quietly boiling up with irritation inside and that's not good for you.

Setting boundaries doesn't mean arguing and screaming at people, or becoming angry, but it does require a certain amount of justified assertiveness on your part. You have every right to make it known how you feel and what you expect from people who wish to be part of your life and if they are unwilling to be receptive and change their attitude or behaviour you have every right to walk away (whilst leaving the door open for mature discussion at a future point).

18breanna and mnguy like this.
  3. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, indeed, being passive is what I do, also when I don't want to. It's the setting boundaries thing that is a problem indeed, I have difficulties with that in other areas too. I don't have to deal with a lot of homophobia in general. It concerns my working place, I'm still not totally out there but I get remarks concerning my gender expression anyway. It's always the same two people. The other colleagues are kind, I have support from my gay colleague and the direction is LGBT friendly so in general I feel safe and respected in my working place. I know what I shouldn't do, I just wish I knew better what to do or say in difficult situations.

4. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I dealt with light homophobia for about 6 or 7 months when I moved to my current home and came out. It was mostly just drunk teenagers coming by to yell faggot, cocksucker, or other childish insults at outside of my apartment in the middle of the night. I didn't let it bother me, because first they were drunk children, I was a kid once and also did foolish things. Second was because I put it into context, I've never been beaten up because of my sexuality like so many others have, so I felt that some occasional harassing wasn't a big deal. Honestly as long as they aren't hurting you, kill them with kindness, I really do believe that most people can change if you give them a chance.

Occasionally I still get rude questions from people regarding my private life, but I chalk that up to ignorance or curiosity. People seem to think its okay to ask gay men about their sex lives, even if they wouldn't dare ask another straight person. My neighbor who is a woman in her 70's, asked me if I was the boy or the girl, I just told her we are both boys. Sometimes people are trying to be rude,but other times they just don't understand what is or isn't appropriate. I don't think she understood how inappropriate the question was. Sometimes people who like me will still occasionally slip up and refer gays as fags, but honestly they have been casually calling us fags for years so I understand that there are slip ups.

With regards to your question about remarks, I don't know why but it seems like you are getting backhanded compliments? Am I close?

Questions like "Oh you like girls, but you are so pretty?" or "Why?"

Is this what you mean?

#4 Jackie Ray, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  5. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Jackie Ray I agree with you that you can't avoid occasional harassing. That's why I want to learn to deal with it better. I see those remarks as minor incidents and I realize that I am lucky with the workplace I have. I totally agree that most remarks are made out of ignorance and those remarks don't bother me as much. I forgive people the instant they make them and they don't change my view about them. But these two women are not ignorant, they do it on purpose to try to hurt my (and my gay colleague's) feelings. I don't get backhanded compliments. The latest remark I got was that I am half a woman. It totally caught me by surprise and I didn't know how to react so I didn't. And that's what bothers me the most, that I wasn't able to defend myself, I think I should have in this case.

#5 Lexa, Oct 21, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  6. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Those woman may not even be homophobic, in my experience and please forgive me for saying this, but woman are catty as hell, no matter how old they are. Are you exceptionally beautiful? I have a friend and she gets a lot of trouble from the rest of the women just because she is really pretty.

If you are half a woman then tell them they are whole bitches. Or you could just make them feel a little uncomfortable, like giving them bedroom eyes, then they will be thinking to themselves "Oh my god is she trying to sleep with me" and they will try to avoid you.

7. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At least one of these women is clearly homophobic but probably both. Not all women are catty as hell, fortunately. I'm not exceptionally beautiful. I don't know why they make these kind of remarks but apparently they try to gain something by making them. I don't really care why they make them, I just want to be able to deal with the remarks better. If she repeats the half a woman remark I'm planning to tell her that I'd rather be called half a woman than be the one who calls someone else half a woman. I try not to let them notice that their remarks affect me because I know that is their intention.

#7 Lexa, Oct 21, 2017
  8. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Is your country very conservative, I guess you are mostly Catholics right?

#8 Jackie Ray, Oct 21, 2017
  9. ConfusedTi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Unfortunately, i doubt that my comment will be very helpful either. I too am someone who struggled with setting boundaries with people or standing up for myself. I was bullied a lot when I was younger and people said a lot of mean things to me. Those things did hurt but tbh with you, what hurt me more was the fact that I started to not only believe them but I made that my internal dialogue too. By the time I made the aforementioned realization, the damage was too much. So I made a decision that I would not let people's behavior affect me. Most of the time, people act out of their own experiences or their own issues. So now, I know that the only words or actions that have the power to hurt me are the words that I tell myself. Making that decision has really allowed me to be free of people's bulls**t because their behavior doesn't have a hold on me anymore. Especially people who don't mean anything to me. In the mean time, I will work on getting to a place where I can stand up for myself.

Jackie Ray likes this.
  10. Twist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, this depends upon my mood at the time, as well as the situation.

I rarely full out ignore such things, but I might respond as simply as lifting a brow at the person, or giving a little "snort" of derision.

Other times, I may come back with something flippant meant to in some way insinuate they're wrong, or an idiot.

Other times, I have gotten in a person's face and made it clear their attitude is not acceptable and to back off.

11. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    @ConfusedTi makes a great point, who are they to you? Nobody of consequence, nothing at all. It doesn't matter what they think.

12. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are mostly Catholics yes but most of us aren't really convinced Catholics anymore. The two women aren't very religious either but very heteronormative nonetheless.

I do not believe their words and I know they act out of their own issues. I try to be indifferent regarding them and honestly I don't care what they think so that's not the problem.

I just don't want them to get away with that kind of behaviour. I don't want to let them treat me like that.

13. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Twist Thank you for your post. It's that kind of information I am looking for.

14. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ask them out to dinner, see if you cant, talk it out.

15. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sorry you're subjected to that and wish everyone was thoughtful and kind. When I've been in that situation what held me back was not being out so not wanting to say something that would incite suspicion or outright questioning of my sexuality. If I had been out I like to think I would have corrected misinformation and defended LGBT people. I know what you mean about feeling bad afterwards too. I think I felt worse about not having the courage to say something than about whatever was said. If you're safe to come out, that would ideally be the best way to go. If it's safe, but you still don't want to initiate coming out, then maybe by saying something, someone might ask and then you could come out then. Otherwise tell them it's none of their business how you dress, it's rude to insult how you look and that you won't be pressured to conform so they're wasting their time. I don't think that would out you necessarily, but you don't say exactly what the comments are. Mature, considerate people don't treat other people that way. Good luck and take care!

16. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not being out held me back too so I recognize what you write but I'm not hiding anymore. I don't care anymore if my behaviour does incite suspicion or not. I'm myself. If my behaviour incites suspicion so be it. My sexual orientation is not a secret anymore. I just don't feel the need to officially come out to all of my colleagues. They'll figure it out sooner or later if they haven't already. Thank you for your kind words.

17. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    @Jackie Ray Thank you for your answer. I have no intention to talk with them about this specific remark. Why would I do that? It would only show that I'm weak. I mentionned this remark as an example in order to get good advice to be better prepared for future remarks, not because this specific remark still bothers me. It doesn't.

18. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I just though it might be a strategy to help them stop being so mean, its not you they are mad at, its themselves, it might be a cry for help. In my experience the meanest people are usually dying on the inside.

19. Lexa

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh they'll definitely have their reasons for their behaviour but I honestly don't care what those reasons are. I want them to leave me alone, I don't want to become their best friend.

20. Jackie Ray

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well you only have one option left, nicely tell them to leave you alone or you are gong to tell them off in front of the entire office but be careful as they might want to throw down. Im afraid that homophobic people might let that hate drive them to violence.

#20 Jackie Ray, Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017