1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I move this forward...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by katiexxx, Oct 11, 2014.

1. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Its alien to us gay girls too Choir boy, you're not alone! :-D

2. Really

You'd have to wear a ring on each thumb and that would be...showing off. You want to leave something for that special someone to discover. :slight_smile:

(Note to self: Get a pair of thumb rings. You don't want LittleLionGirl showing you up.)

3. Penpal

I'm completely lost now, you are all talking in code! I do get the impression I need to get a thumb ring though if not two! :confused:

4. stella99

Ive never worn a thumb ring but I think I might start:slight_smile: and I must pay more attention to my VPL:slight_smile: looking forward to the next installment katie....

5. LittleLionGirl

I've just bookmarked the urban dictionary so I can translate this thread, so don't feel alone there Penpal. I especially needed to find out what VPL meant - if Choirboy knows I certainly should! I'm happy to report that I do everything I can to never display such a thing, girly or not.

Speaking of which... Katie, what exactly makes one VPL girly and another VPL not girly? I mean, how can you tell from just the lines? :eusa_shif

6. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I imagine VPL is like VTL (visible tan lines) on a guy. It depends n their body. LOL

TOM

7. Penpal

Ah it's all becoming clear! I'm learning something everyday on here. :icon_bigg

8. Tallu

A VPL would be very different if she were wearing boy briefs as opposed to frilly bikini underwear or God forbid...a thong (shudders.)

I think thumb rings are very sexy and have wanted one for awhile. :grin:

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2014 at 06:48 PM ----------

And somebody needs to tell me what VPL means in gay man speak. Heh heh.

9. RainbowBright

I wear two thumb rings often, but I never heard of that being a signal for sexuality - perhaps that is a UK thing? Anyway, one of them is a lesbian symbol - two female symbols together - so there's not much to question there! (On occasion I also wear a ring that has rainbow stones, although not on my thumb and not together with the lesbian ring - that's overkill unless I'm going to a Pride parade.) I am such a stud without even knowing it... :slight_smile:

You can also give signals by putting a rainbow button on your bag, or one that speaks to issues that are important to a lot of gay folk - like about gay marriage, or some kind of political issue or being pro- a gay politician, or whatever is the tip off in your area that you are open-minded and to give a chance for a conversation without being so obvious as to be wearing something - you can pretend you put it on your bag and forgot, and then turn your bag around to get out your wallet or something and let her see it. You could also have a button, or wear a t-shirt, from some "womyn's music festival." Or in the States anyway, drive a Prius or a Subaru and talk about the great gas mileage you get. :slight_smile:
    You could set an alarm on your phone with a lesbian-themed ringtone - insert song by famous lesbian here - and time it to go off when you're ringing up your stuff. Or you say something like, "You know, you look a little like [insert name of lesbian comedian or actress here], do you know who that is?" - but don't let this backfire, make it clear that it's complimentary. Or mention some article that you read in The Advocate or Curve or whatever might be your local gay paper/mag that relates to something you're buying or something in the store - like "Gay Times recommended this wine, so I thought I'd give it a try" or "Funny, I just read in the Lesbian Ladies' Home Journal some article about how choosing melons is a good way to pick up girls - you know, because you get to show your technique." - What? Too much? :slight_smile:

I could come up with stealth lesbian tactics all day - lord knows I've used plenty of them on random strangers I got a sudden secret crush on... But in reality, you should probably be more direct unless you enjoy the hunt more than the catch. I think the best way is to compliment her directly about something you're sincerely attracted to - without of course being inappropriate. "I really like your haircut - it's cute." "Wow, you have beautiful eyes." "That shirt looks great on you." "You must be a mirror because I could really see myself in your pants" (!) - no, definitely don't use that last one!!

A simple and sincere compliment is a great way to get the sexual tension going, and to give her the idea you're interested without making the situation too embarrassing if she's not interested, not gay, not single, or whatever. Plus, it's not that intimate if there are people around.

If you want to play it safe on the gay front, I would definitely ask her out for coffee in a friendly way. I liked what was suggested earlier, connecting it to her being so helpful. Or, it might be good at this point to try something like "It is so hard to make new friends in this town [or at this age], all my friends live far away, and I only get to spend time with people at work... and they are so old! You seem really friendly - maybe this is weird but would you like to go out for coffee sometime?" Or you could be more vague - "It's so hard to make new friends in this town - do you know of any good hangouts or places to meet nice/cool people? What do you do for fun?" Or you could say something like "My friends and I are going out to this coffee shop to see [random person with guitar] perform - do you like [X] music?" If yes, "Hey, you should come too! It's at Y street at 9 tonight." Or maybe, "This wine and this cake are for a party I'm throwing at my place. Hey, you should stop by - the more the merrier!" (&&&)

Whatever feels most normal to you, will come off the best. But I think you should try something - spending too many months doting on this stranger is going to get you too hung up on her emotionally, when you don't even actually know her. She could be a total jerk for all you know, but you're building her up in your head because you never get the chance to really talk to her. Best to get it out there - unless, like me, you sometimes just love crushing on people without any of the dangers reality can bring!

If you want to keep this whole stealth thing going for a little longer, I would think at least the next time you should say, "Sorry, what was your name?" Or if she has a name tag, "X - that's a really beautiful name" [or "That's my favorite aunt's name" or whatever]. "My name's KatieXXX." And shake her hand if there's time - it might be awkward, but touching is a good way to get remembered for the next time. Then you can say "Hey, X!" next time you're in the store, and remind her of your name again. And ask her how long she's working that day - it's always good to commiserate about work, with a roll of the eyes that says you're compassionate to her sucky long work day and a wish that you hope her day gets better or something. I say that to nearly every cashier I meet and I don't even have a crush on any of them! But I get how crappy 8-hr shifts at a minimum wage job are. (*hug*)

Wow, this got really long! Can you tell I've spent way too much time pining after strange girls and trying to think of the right thing to say? :slight_smile: Definitely want the update on this thread, we need to see what happens with Grocer Girl!

10. bi2me

OK - I need both definitions - no idea what VPL underwear is to either sex/gender...

Plus... thank you all for the :roflmao: I threw my back out earlier today, and I needed the giggles :slight_smile:

11. Really

For girls, vpl is visible panty lines and for boys, I'm not sure but am slightly queasy thinking that the L is for lump.

12. Snever2late

:roflmao: OMG, I'm dying. Waterfall, thank you for pointing me this way.

Katie, you sound really sweet, and this story is adorable. Also this girl sounds delish. I can't wait to read what you decide to do...I'm routing for you!

Really...you kill me.

Also, I don't wear my wedding and whatnot rings anymore (like 8 months) but I used to wear a thumb ring and never knew it had any significance. So maybe that explains the extra attention...:icon_wink

13. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Weeeeell, I did it!

14. anniesims

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What did you end up doing? Ive been reading thread and am so curious. And I know what you mean about feeling like a 12 yead old with a new crush:slight_smile: Im dying to know what you did and what happened.

15. waterfall

waterfall Guest

OK, you are killing those of us with no life! I have been following this thread since day ONE!!!
    We want all the details!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. LittleLionGirl

:eek: Are you kidding me?! :eusa_doh: DETAILS!!!!! :rolle:

17. tomthumb2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    OMG I found myself reading this thread from the beginning like it was a suspense novel and now I'm left hanging! Whats happening Katie? Anyone who's gay can totally relate to this thread, male or female. It got my heart racing for you while also wishing something like that would happen to me. Pls update us soon!

18. Really

How many sexually confused people does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

None, because no one is sure the lightbulb wants to be screwed.

19. LittleLionGirl

So while we wait, should we all post what we imagine/suspect/hope happened for Katie to delay her posting more?

I'll start.

She made her move at the check-out, got her object of desire to agree to coffee when her shift ended, which was soon, so Katie had only enough time to post:
    before her wild crush showed up at their appointed rendezvous. Petri dish was off with grandma, so when that coffee turned into happy hour which turned into a need for food, there was nothing holding her back.

Next?

20. tomthumb2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    LittleLionGirl: I so love a happy ending so mine is pretty similar....

Katie summons up the courage to say something like "Hey you've helped me out so much lately can I at least buy you a coffee?" Checkout Girl says "I'd love to!" They go for coffee where Katie tells her story and Checkout Girl says "well I'm single and gay too, how about dinner?" At dinner they both share a laugh about malfunctioning gaydar, have that semi awkward moment of silence and then kiss. The rest I leave up to your imagination.

Go Katie!!