1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I move this forward...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by katiexxx, Oct 11, 2014.

1. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    OK, so this is a really teenage question & I apologise for that. (I am 35!)

I have a huge crush on a woman who works as my local supermarket. I am fairly sure she is gay because of the 'butch' persona she has & my instinct. I have been in, smiled a lot exchanged pleasantries etc, looked for a little 'too' long. The chance to talk for longer is never possible as the place is always so busy though. I have no idea if she is single, though she doesn't wear a wedding ring, but that doesn't say much.

I simply don't have the confidence, or even opportunity to ask her out as there is always a long queue.

Another thing that bothers me, is that she probably wouldn't assume that I was a possibility even if she did find me attractive. Firstly i'm very 'femme' & secondly I have a 18 month old baby who is usually with me. (My child was conceived via IVF using an anonamous sperm donor).

So far apart from wearing a badge that says 'I got pregnant via donor sperm, i'm gay, ask me out!' (ok I'm being a bit tongue in cheek) , the only other option I can think of is slipping her a note, or sending a card - but it all just seems so childish.

Surely there must be a more mature way to do it than that?

2. Penpal

Do you know her name or anyone that knows her? Is it a shop where you may need some assistance and you could ask her for some help?
    This is tricky?
    You could wear a rainbow bracelet to perhaps let her know you are gay. You need to get talking to her somehow. Sorry not much help I know. Somehow you need to get across that you are single. Good luck.

3. Emotional love

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Next time you go to her till, slip her a note saying something like, if you want to go for coffee ring me on xyz. Otherwise you could be staring at her for the next couple of years!

4. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks Penpal...I see you're from the West Midlands. I'm in Norfolk. Thanks for replying. You know those 'Scan as you shop' sections in the big supermarkets beginning with T? Well she always works on that. I have tried everything, buying wine so she needs to ok it, random checks, trouble with vouchers, asking for more bags...its just so tricky. There is usually a queue behind me & the staff look after 6 tills at a time, so everything moves so fast!
    What is the view on rainbows these days? I thought it was seen as a bit tacky unless at a pride event & I don't want to look like a novice... (That's not me being a bitch, just a real question?) :lol:

5. Penpal

Ha you may be right. I am a novice you see! No experience in this field yet! Hopefully to be rectified in the future. Hmm this is tricky. Maybe some more experienced people on here will help us with the rainbow thing.
    When she helps you with the alcohol purchase that is your opportunity to say something. Just start up a conversation. Tell her the wine is for a date and you are nervous as you have been on your own for a long time and a friend has set you up at a dinner party. Maybe not! This is tricky :slight_smile: Ask her when she finishes work? Just try and get talking. Gradually get to know her. Then when you go in talk to her again. Ask her how she is, general chit chat.
    Norfolk is lovely, I love it when there are people on here that are in places I know. Makes me feel not so alone.
    At least you are attracted to gay people I keep being attracted to straight people :bang:

6. Dreamsandwishes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    In the movies they talk about having a gaydar. Mine is missing. ;-)
    I'm a novice too but the bracelet thing sounds cool to me. Or go with a note and hand it to her. Good luck.

7. HTBO

Next time you do talk to her, you can ask her if she has any kids. She may say no, and may say she is gay which will give you a chance to speak up. Or she may ask you about your baby, which is again another opportunity. Use what you have :wink:

8. LittleLionGirl

Have you ever introduced yourself? That doesn't take very long.

Or how about next time she helps you, just say something like, "Thank you, you're always so helpful. Can I buy you a cup of coffee sometime?"

Don't make it a date, don't put that pressure on yourself. Make it a show of appreciation and an opportunity to get to know a bit about each other. THEN you'll have the opportunity to come out to her, explain how you conceived and find out if she's involved, interested or if you have anything in common.

Good luck!

#8 LittleLionGirl, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  9. Really

Here's an idea but please consider the source - I've got zero experience but a wild imagination. Ok, here goes.

Next time you buy enough to warrant such a comment, mutter (to your child but loud enough to be overheard), "I need a girlfriend to be my grocery lackey, don't I, Petrie Dish?"

Too much?

idsm likes this.
  10. Penpal

I think judging by how you conceived etc. you are a very brave person. You need to take a chance with this woman. I think one of the comments was to work with what you have. This is good advice. That way you are honest from day one. Keep us posted, really wanting it to happen for you. X

11. DarkestDream

:thumbsup: THIS :slight_smile:

12. Melanie

Melanie Guest

Note: "I think you're hot"

13. LittleLionGirl

Oh yeah! :eusa_clap That would do it!

14. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks so much everyone.

Oh gawd, i'm quaking in my boots!

I have so many hurdles to cross...

1) Is she even Gay! - I know its far harder for butch lesbians to tell femme's/straight girls apart, but it must be possible that a woman could be straight & still prefer the more masculine look?

2) Is she seeing anyone? (Awkward!)

3) Does she find me attractive...

The list goes on....Eeeek!

15. Snobird

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I learned is the best relationships start as being friends. Maybe ask her to hang out some time. It does not have to be a date. Get to know her a bit, then feel the situation out. If she is not into dating women, then you might just get a good friend out of it.

Of course you can always go in wearing a gay pride shirt or something obvious.

16. katiexxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks so much for all your replies guys...So here's an update! :slight_smile:

I've been in a few times since (without child) & smiled, said hello etc.

I made sure I was wearing my 'lesbian rings' as I call them (thumb ring & middle finger ring) & the time before last I looked up while I was in the queue & her eyes were staring straight at my hand. She may have been looking but not seeing, who knows.

I usually go in on a wednesday, so donned with my lesbian rings off I went yesterday. When I go to pay, its just us. She needed to help me because I'm buying wine & she comes over will all big smiles to help. As she hits the button that says 'obviously over 25' I sigh & jokingly said 'oh gone are the days when someone has to actually look at me to check my age' & she starts laughing & said 'oh I'm sorry, would you like me to, would it make your day' etc . We're both laughing & she goes off & I carry on. I then have a voucher, & *luckily* it wouldn't scan, & she comes straight back over to help. She deals with it & is just about to leave & I say 'do you still have to blow on them?'...She stands frozen to the spot, looking at the floor, has gone bright red & is giggling like mad, but trying not to, but I know she is because her shoulders are moving up & down. She looks up at me & I start laughing & joke that someone once told me that if the till can't tell when you've posted the voucher in the slot, to blow on it, but I've just got into the habit of blowing every time, stuck voucher or not. She's laughing like mad by now &then proceeds to show me a special tool on her belt that they are given precisely for that issue, while looking me straight in the eye & still blushing. She then goes back to her spot & I pay & as i'm leaving she gives me a huge smile & we say goodbye!

Hopefully i'm making progress....

17. Penpal

Yay go you :slight_smile: x

18. Tallu

How cute! I bet you were grinning for days.

19. Really

Yay! Oh, hold on a minute. Do we have to wait a week for the next update?
    Did you say, "See you next week!"?
    Is it weird having cheerleaders for this? 'Cause we're all rooting for you. And some of us are living vicarious through you. :}

20. Frkldbklvr45

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    way to go katiexxx! rooting for you!