1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose the first person you told?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Marlowe, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Randy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, the person that I'm infatuated with texted me and his name is under "[name] <3" in my phone so I started freaking out. The day after, we were driving to Target and I just told my brother right then and there. The timing felt right, I tell my brother everything. It was fate that it happened.

2. enigmeow

I can honestly say I was sleeping with the person at the time but I think considering what was happening, he knew... :slight_smile:

3. MoonlitWater

MoonlitWater Guest

I sort of had a breakdown/realization about being Bi. IIRC, the first person I told was my gay high school best friend (he recently came out). He really supported me and helped me figure things out during my initial "Oh God, am I normal?!" freak out.

4. IdPreferEmerson

It was my older sister. I knew I could tell her because of how accepting she is of everyone, and she's my best friend.
    She took it really well.
    I didn't really choose. I knew I couldn't stay completely closeted forever, and I also knew she wouldn't care if I was trans or not, so to quote Spock, "It was the logical choice."

5. doors

I told the only person I was 100% sure would be supportive: My Sister.

6. MixedNutz

Choose my sister. I knew she would be totally ok with it. We had continually asked to meet this "guy your always texting, he's obviously somebody Important to you" so I figured she already knew.

I'd say pick someone whom you're almost positive will have a good reaction. Someone who will encourage and love you no matter what.

7. maracont

The awkward area between bible belt and large city
    In class my friend had just come out as bisexual to me, I wanted to return the favor.

8. dorkyblueyes

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The closest I have come to coming out was telling a friend of mine that I want to be with a girl. Nothing more. Her response was "Really? We got to get you a gay. Maybe you will have better luck with the ladies." I laughed. But I guess everyone at my old job thought I was gay and had the hots for my friend. Which I kind of did. haha. :lol:

9. GayTeen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They asked first. So they chose me, I guess! We're now starting a relationship.

10. I told 3 people who were my close friends at the time, just because they were my friends.

11. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can't remember which of two people at work I told first. One is a woman who is actually retired but keeps coming back, and is extremely gay-friendly. She's actually been encouraging me to get a divorce for years! She didn't believe me at first, but has been very supportive. The other person is a lesbian co-worker who has been going through some issues at home that are remarkably similar to mine--we have often joked that our spouses could be sisters because they have so many of the same issues. She, like my gay boss, seem to have suspected it because they took it very matter-of-factly. My boss in particular has been great and almost therapist-like.

12. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The first real life person I told, I told because he is a very tolerant person and believed in fighting for human rights. He is religious, but doesn't condemn being gay because he says that the verse is misinterpreted. He was also my best friend, and the one of three friends I believed would handle it the most positively. I was right, too ^_^

13. Northern

I told my mom first, because my whole life my parents have been extremely excepting and awesome about not only sexuality but a lot of things, my parents were the first to know, after that told my main friends, and now if someone doesn't know I just say it.

No reason for me to be ashamed, plus it can be quite humorous when you are with new friends and you just blurt out... "So that guy is hot, call dibs!"

14. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I told a Female Friend, who had just entered into a Lesbian Relationship & yes I had been drinking :slight_smile:

15. person57

I recently told my best friends because I knew they would accept me and support me :slight_smile:

16. 2112

I told my dad first, just because I knew I could tell him and nothing bad would happen. I was right! :slight_smile:

17. ScatteredEarth

I told my mom first, because of mainly what 2112 said.. But my sister came up to us while I was explaining myself and I ended up getting a 2-for-1 deal..

18. FindingMyself

I was in seventh grade, thinking I was bi. I told my best, mellowest friend Emily, and then this girl I hardly knew. She told my boyfriend and they together told half the grade and all hell broke loose. However, now when I meet someone I slide into the conversation that I'm gay. It's no big deal anymore.

19. Adarya

Didn't really "choose"; it came out one night while I was talking to her and I apparently trusted her enough at the time that I didn't need to think about it beforehand (I'm talking about my sister, since she's the first one I told).

She didn't take me very seriously, but that's changing as it's been more than two years and I've only become surer of my sexuality.

20. AlexTheBlogger

The first person I told is my best friend, Maria.

I knew she would be supportive and that I could trust her, so I just chose her and told that I'm FtM :grin:
    She reacted very well and asked politely some questions. Just that.

I think it's funny because she protects me too much because of that, hahahaha.
    When my friend Fabian accidentally called me a "she", Maria got very angry and shouted at him :confused: