1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose the first person you told?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Marlowe, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Bolin

Well...I didn't really get to choose, haha. I accidentally outed myself to him. But it's alright, though, since he's also gay. XD

2. sguyc

Two of my best friends were speculating about another of my best friend's sexuality. I thought it was a pretty silly situation so I let them know about myself.

3. Neutrality

I came out to 2 class mates on accident when I showed up to my school's S.A.F.E. club meeting, and they stooped by to see if the club needed anything and saw me there X_X (They were checking up on the club cause they are in the student government and responsible for club funds.)

The first person I told on purpose, was a friend who really crushed hard on me, she even kissed me once...I figured she should know why I pulled away =P...Also I knew she had experimented with a girl before so she wouldn't judge me.

4. fulcrum

It was a good friend of mine in my last year of high school. She sat next to me in Maths class. We shared a lot about out lives to each other. Towards the end of the year, we went away on a camp. And during that weekend, we took a walk to the shop one afternoon. Just me and her. And that's when I decided to tell her. It was good.

Thx Judith, wherever you are. (*hug*)

5. EllieSong

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I chose my best friend to be first because we've talked about things like that before and I knew she had no problems with it and that she will be supportive.
    I also chose her because, well, she IS my best friend and 'casue she often told me that if I need to talk about anything, she'll always be there :slight_smile:

6. Vaah

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The first person I told was my best friend at the time, and I only came out to her, because she came out to me!

I felt she was the most accepting at the time, because she was supportive of gay rights, and bisexual herself.

7. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Subconsciously an ex-girlfriend, in reality a Gay Friend who had just come out as a Lesbian with her Partner :slight_smile:

8. rjrh20

I told my mom because she was always saying how she encourages same sex marriage. and she asked me first but I denied it then I thought if anyone knew it should be her.

9. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose to come out to a co-worker first, it was safer than someone with whom I was close and it forced me to practice saying the words. As I became more comfortable with coming out, the circle narrowed to include my family and some old friends.

10. LinkLarkin

It was always between my two best friends... I technically told my guy best friend first purely because it came up in conversation, he said something about me hypothetically having a lady friend and I said it wouldn't be a lady. Unfortunately, I wasn't sure if he'd fully absorbed what I said and he had to leave so I didn't get a chance to clarify, but I felt like I was on a roll at that point so I ran over to my female best friend (who I knew would be supportive because she's bisexual) and came out to her properly. (Just to clear up any confusion, I came out properly to my guy best friend about a week later.) Apart from that, I've only really told people who ask me outright (which only seems to happen when I'm drunk :eusa_thin)

11. Steak is food

Out Status:
    Some people
    I told my best friend because, well, he's my best friend. I also told him that I like him more than I let on, if you know what I mean :icon_wink

12. KingdomKeyDK

I trusted her like a sister, but I had to tell her it was a lie. :frowning2:

13. Holly

One of my best friends sister is bisexual, and she was fully supportive of her. I also knew she was a big believer in LGBT rights, so I knew I could trust her. :slight_smile:

14. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Everyone I've told has been LGBT. First person I came out to was my friend, who's genderqueer masculine, and from there expanded out to my support group and a handful of friends.

My friend's big on queer theory and knew I was questioning my gender so it was only natural that if I was going to tell anyone, might as well be them. And I think I was one of the first they came out to, might as well return the favor. Helps that we once dated. :wink:

#94 drwinchester, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2013
  15. SeaMist

Out Status:
    Some people
    I came out to a friend of mine, Callie, first. We had talked about LGBT and feminism before, and we're both following a feminist magazine. I knew she would be accepting and happy. I remember that day: I had decided to spend the whole of the school day silent, just to see what it was like. When the bell rang to end the day, words were flying out of my mouth. I had play rehearsal that afternoon, and I pulled Callie away and told her. I was very awkward. She was not. It was a good experience, and the jubilance it gave me pushed me to take another step out of the closet.
    Except for that Callie ended up outing me to my really good friend/crush. She never knew that I had feelings for her (she moved away a month ago) but I still wasn't happy, to say the least, and I lost all trust in Callie.

16. gador

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For me my brother was kind of an obvious choice.
    He's about one year younger than me and we're real close. Also I'm very introverted and shy and not good at making friends and since I left school I lost contact with most of them...
    Still, even when I knew he was gonna be okay with it, it was the hardest (or at least one of the hardest) thing I did in my entire life up to this point

17. soconfused97

I first told one of my absolute best friends because a few months prior she had told me she was bisexual and that's what I believed myself to be at the time considering my dating history of all girls, and was dating one at the time, oops

18. FloatingPiano

The first person I decided to tell was my best friend Ashley. I knew she wouldn't mind because her sister had just come out as FTM transgendered, and she was totally fine with that.

I hadn't been sleeping, so I just called her up and told her I was gay. We then went on a walk and talked about it the next day. :slight_smile:

19. Amerigo

hopefully, my GP, whom i've only known for about a month!

20. Abbra

The first person I told kind of chose me. :lol:

She was my best friend at the time, and I had known I was a lesbian for several months but I didn't want to tell anyone. At the beginning of the summer, my friend noticed that I had been spending a ton of time with this guy friend of ours (we were both avid Super Smash Bros and Animal Crossing enthusiasts). While we were at the mall, my friend just kept pestering me and pestering me about how often I was with him and that I should ask him out. I just kept evading the question and told her that we would discuss it when we got home. I was hoping that she would forget, and she almost did. However, about ten minutes before she left, she asked me about it. After some awkward stammering, I finally came out to her.

She was totally cool with it.