1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose a new name?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by PerfectlyNormal, Oct 12, 2014.

1. tone

The name I'm hoping to go by is Cole Aaron. Cole because it's the name of a character in a story I made up (I make up long elaborate stories in my head and pretend I'm the characters, I'm just weird) and one of my friends told me that would be my guy name (before I told her I was trans/even knew I was trans) and it just stuck. Aaron as a middle name because that would've been the name my parents gave me as a boy. Neither of these is anything like my birth name, which I've never liked. The name I would've used if I had wanted to stay close to my birth name would be Sam, but for me it sounds too unisex, like it could be short for Samantha and I wasn't feeling it.

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was drawn to Alexander for years, and I tie it mostly to an old friend who motivated me to become a filmmaker or get involved with the film industry since he was an indie filmmaker himself.

Middle name wise, I've been all over the place. I remember writing name combinations on one of those doodle boards that have the glow feature when I was 16 and I was at it for a good hour or so. I heavily considered Tobias as a tribute to my dad for a while. It flowed nicely in full, but I knew an AT and I didn't want to get us mistaken for each other in public. I've had others on the plate too; Atticus, Holden, Sam, Tyler, Jayden, Jason, Mason, Jackson (for my stepdad), Joshua (what my mom would have named me), Hayden and a few others.

I stuck with Jackson/Mason for about a year or so until I found Jerick and that's been my choice since. I went with it in the same way I did with my first name, as a tribute to someone I look up to who kept me motivated and on the road to recovery when I was at the height of my depression.

3. Ashley2103

I chose Ashley because I love that name. I really like the name Adrianna too, but I guess that can be a middle name xD. If I get my real name changed, I will probably have my last name changed too. I don't know what though. I really hate my last name.

4. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I chose my alias, Aki because I thought it was a good unisex Japanese name that fit me well.

However I have no plans to change my name in real life, as it is also a unisex name.

5. MsEmmzy

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I chose Emma as my girl name for a few reasons.

First of all, it has Norwegian/Icelandic roots, just like my stepdad (who's done so much for me since my real dad walked out). Second, it means "whole" or "universal". My whole life I've felt like an outcast. I couldn't ever figure out why, but I was never like all the boys in my class. Now that I know I'm trans*, I feel more complete, or "whole" as a person. The last reason, is because my only real female friend as a kid (I was deathly afraid of girls when I was younger) was also named Emma.

6. IS92

Out Status:
    A few people
    I chose my name when I still thought I was someshere along the nonbinary part of the spectrum, and kinda mish-mashed together a unisex name from the male and female versions of my birth name. Though I now identify differently, I still like the name, and I'm keeping it. :slight_smile:

7. MN Writer

My new name is Emma and it was chosen with the assistance of my wife. Because she is the one who uses my name more than anyone else, I wanted her help with picking one. She suggested this one and I fell in love with it right away. Later I discovered that Emma means "whole" or "complete" which was profoundly relevant to my life. Since deciding to come out as a transwoman I have felt a sense of wholeness or completion that I've been looking for for a long time, so it really fit the bill.

8. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    you go girl, Anastasia means resurrection and spring time

9. stormborn

i just kind of chose it. i was up in the air about names for a while, but i had a bit of a time crunch and was like "whatever, this one works." so yeah, i'm elliott. :grin: i don't know what i'm going to do about the whole middle/first name business, as my birth name is unisex when said aloud (only the spelling i have is gendered), and my middle name starts with an e. i'm thinking of just dropping the first name, but we'll see.

10. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Hey thats my boyfriends name:grin:

11. KayJay

I kept my last name the same. My first name is Kelsey and my middle name is my old first name except it has feminine spelling. I wanted to keep my old first name in my name somehow because it was my mom's maiden name. I chose Kelsey mostly just because I liked it and a long time ago I sort of made myself a second life online as a girl and I used that name. So being called Kelsey to me was super normal already so I figured I may as well use it in real life too.

12. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ooh, springtime? I've never heard that one. :grin:

13. Awesome_trans_girl13

Out Status:
    All but family
    Yep, Anastasia is also a very popular name in russia along with ivan and evy

14. Mrchievous

Out Status:
    A few people
    Michael was going to be my name and middle name would be John after my fathers name. Which is funny was born on his birthday, and his name is John Michael and mine would be Michael John. Just always loved the name Michael also don't know why.

15. sherlock

Out Status:
    A few people
    Me too. While my English name is totally unisex and even masculine, I have to do something about my actual Chinese name. Funny thing is while being feminine, my Chinese name corresponds to the translated form of "Roger" so growing up people just called me that.
    I hate the way Roger sounds, but then again if the original version is romanized it becomes Jello......fail..... :bang:

16. hollychristina

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i chose two really pretty girl names to represent how girly and feminine i have always been.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2014 at 10:22 AM ----------

Anastasia is such a pretty name and personally i love it :slight_smile:

17. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you~! ^.^

18. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No matter what I am always doomed to having 3 first names as my full name (my last name is also a common male first name). So, I had to find something that would flow with that, since I did not want to change my last name at all. After a long time of looking through names, I narrowed it down to 2 for my first name. For a long time, it was between Bradley and Joshua. I started to ask for opinions on my name (and i even made a thread here). Over time, I found that Bradley (or Brad for short) fit my personality more. So, I stuck with it. I think that Josh would have worked for my name as well though.

19. Unkempt Harold

This is always hard for me, as you never choose your name to begin with. Plus being in the military I haven't been called by my first name in 2 years

20. SockPuppet

I've always had 5 names...I don't know if my parents were trying to be inclusive or were just indecisive or what. Bit of both is probably most accurate. So my name as is stands is [boy first name] Alexander Allan Vickery [last name].

My parents have said they couldn't decide between Alexander and the name they went with, and I've always wished they'd gone the opposite route because I like Alexander and all it's derivations. I like that is can be gender neutral because sometimes, I just like to be androgynous. So, I'm chopping off the original first name, and the 'ander' and going with Alex.

Originally that was going to be that. I was going to keep my other two names as is to honour my family, even though Allan's very masculine. It was my grandfather's name, and I was close with him, he taught me to watercolour. But the more I think about it, and in spite of that connection with the name, I just...don't want that masculine a name. Gender neutral I like...masculine, eh, not for me. So I recently decided that I'm switching that one to Audrey, which was both the name of my grandmother who died before I was born (Allan's wife), and my cousin Audrey Claire who I was close to and who killed herself in 2010. So that's honouring my mum's side of the family. Vickery I'm probably switching to Lyon, for my other grandmother.

And then most recently, I've been thinking...I'm used to having 3 middle names, so I've thought about having my first middle name be Jes, after a friend of mine who is an inspiration to me and one of my biggest supporters with my transition and when I came out to my friends.

So there we have Alex Jes Audrey Lyon [last name]. :slight_smile: