1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How and when did you know you were lgbtq?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nic2552, May 10, 2019.

1. Contented

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The absolute turning point was when I realized that in addition to a sexual relationship I started to understand I needed an emotional relationship as well with another man. Slowly coming to the fact that despite years of compulsory heterosexuality what I truly wanted was to be with another man totally and completely without hiding or pretending I was something else. It took a while to get that idea straight in my head, I fought it for a while. My internal homophobia tried to sabotage me more than once. After all I wasn’t fag, queer or homo! What a joke that was as I have come to realize I was always gay. However I continued to work on myself as I knew instinctively that I desperately wanted to be with another man. That work paid off.

NotTooLoud likes this.
  2. Alexa70

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I knew I was not completely “normal” boy, per se, as a child. I liked hanging out with my female classmates, and wearing my sister’s clothes, and my mom told me to stop it. But I *really* knew it when I started messing around with a male family friend - in high school. More partners in college, and beyond. But they were all short and long-term booty calls, essentially—cars, sneaking around...
    I’ve only had one boyfriend. He told me that he loved me and wanted to pay for some of the feminization procedures I was interested in. But, being insecure - from a conservative family (in San Francisco, of all places-lol) - I panicked, and shortly thereafter, moved away. Now I am married to a wonderful woman who knows nothing (to my knowledge) of who I am inside.
    So, in short, I’ve known my whole life...:slight_smile:

3. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I read your words, I could feel it, too. The idea of a man holding me makes me tingle.

4. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my age (a little past half a decade), your words elicit a feeling of anxiety within me. I lived a life like you describe (always doing what was expected of me, being the good son/brother/grandson/HUSBAND, etc.). I had the house and the car and kids. I flirted with my wife's friends at dinner parties. I made jokes about homos when I was with the guys. I was such a dude that NOBODY would ever have guessed. And, by the time I was 50, I wanted to self destruct.

5. Alexa70

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry to cause you anxiety, but you’re right - sounds very similar, and pretty much where I am.

6. NotTooLoud

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please find a counselor. Some of them specialize in these issues.

Alexa70 likes this.