1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobia in my school

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Wander, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I haven't been able to do this again Monday and Tuesday (it's probably going to be a every-other-week deal), but today I decided to count it just for laughs. 24 in one day. Most of them are coming from the same person, too. On the days I have classes with him, I notice the counts are much higher - he and the people he sits with at lunch are extremely vocal in their dislike of gay people.

2. steveo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I counted 12 today that I heard. I'm sure there were more but I tend to space out a lot. Either way people these days :dry:

3. Isabelina

Hey all!

I just posted a blog about the experiment on ProgressiveU.org.

Please read it, comment, ect, so that we can start combating this and get the word out. Also, it could help me get a scholarship. XP

http://www.progressiveu.org/homophobia-experiment

4. Nodnarb

Another day....and, amazingly, no homophobic comments.

I've come to realize that maybe my school isn't really homophobic at all:slight_smile: And today, for the first time ever, I saw two guys walking down the main hall holding hands. It was so cute:grin: I was right about what Fallon said.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I may have to move to Iowa. The kid I mentioned earlier is still fixed on using "gay" as his only insult. In fact, one of his straight and usually homophobic friends actually pointed out today that he was calling people "faggots" even more than usual. It's completely out of hand down here in the Belt.

6. Nodnarb

Today's Results:

Only one. One of my friends called my best friend a 'faggot'. He's one of those people that sometimes I think is one of the most amazing people in the world(in a bizzare sort of way), and other times I just want to kill him. You can guess how I felt today.

7. biisme

I counted seven. And this was when I'd remember and acutally listen during the day. Which wasn't that much. I must see what I get if I make sure to listen the whole day.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's it, I'm moving to Iowa.

9. Nodnarb

We'd love to have you:slight_smile:

I heard at least a dozen tonight at the football game. But we were getting blown out by a team we passionately hate, so people weren't happy. And half of them came from a couple of my friends who were yelling insults at the refs and Harlan's players the entire first half. Those two were louder than the entire ~300 member student section put together, but it's no wonder that we have one of the lowest "Sportsmanship Rankings" in the Conference.:lol:

10. Nodnarb

I haven't been paying as much attention this week, but I heard 2 or 3 a day the past two days.

Oh, and one more, if you count the comment that came from somebody who is gay:slight_smile:

11. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    On the bus ride home today, a girl called something "so gay" - unusual for girls at my school - and the boy in front of her turned around and admonished her for it. He's got the stereotypical lispy voice and tight clothing, and most of the people I see him with are girls...I don't know, he might be gay and he might not be. Even if he were, he's certainly not my type.

12. Nodnarb

Well, either way, its a good sign. The only way things will ever change is if people challenge them.

13. Adam

I still say things like "that's gay", it doesn't bother me.

14. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It doesn't bother you that people are equating "gay" with "undesirable", "worthless", and "detrimental"?

15. musican

I hate when people say “that’s gay”. It is so annoying. It bugged me even before I accepted the fact that I’m not straight. There are two people in my grade that really make me mad though. They have brothers that have autism and they got really mad at me and all their friends freaked out on me when I said that something was “retarded” without thinking. I made sure not to say it again because I know it isn’t right, and I was proud of myself because I was doing well. Then I heard them say “that’s gay”. I was so mad, WTH. To me there is no difference between them saying “that’s gay” and me saying “that’s retarded” except that I don’t say either now because I care about people’s feelings and they just don’t want people to say “that’s retarded” because they have autistic brothers. It is so ridiculous. I’m afraid to do that experiment because I know that the numbers would be really high. One girl said “that’s gay” 10 times in 2 minutes so I said geez, you said that a lot, and she said I know but its just gay.
    *Hits head repeatedly against wall*

16. George1

George1 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok guys, school's started again, but I haven't done it this week just while I sort things out, but I'm going to do a one-day test on Friday, and then next week do the entire week.

And then I'll email off the results to my head of campus along with a bit of a report on it. :wink:

17. Twilight

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah I just think of how low their maturity level is to bully someone for differances not just sexuality but other things!

18. Odradek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I need to do this experiment. then again, maybe i dont want to know. :eusa_doh: Not only is everyone in my school a super conservative, but everyone in my STATE is. :bang: Excluding my family of course.

19. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Nope, Alabama is just dripping with red. In all my wandering around, I have seen one Obama 08 sign in a yard. And it was across the road from three McCain 08 signs in a row. In other places, I've seen as many as four or five McCain signs in a row. Wyoming has some catching up to do.

20. Nodnarb

I've only seen one Obama sign here in town. Not counting my relatives. But, I've only seen a couple McCain signs too.

Anyways, I haven't been paying as close of attention, but here are my estimations; Wednesday had around 2 or three, Thursday had around five, and Friday had at least 10.