1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. My 12-year-old DD just confided in me that she is bisexual.

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Firepit5, Jul 11, 2015.

1. skittleALY

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I honestly think you are more worried about this most recent revelation than you need to be. It is your daughter's friend who is cutting herself, not your daughter herself. Frankly, it sounds as if you're approaching this as if the the friend is doing drugs or alcohol. Just because your daughter's friend is cutting does not mean that she will cause your daughter to start self-harming herself as well.

Your daughter's friend sounds as if she is hurting emotionally - if she has cut before in the past then it's not surprising that this whole situation triggered her to cut again. Self-harming is a coping mechanism, and is a way of expressing and dealing with deep distress and emotional pain. It can also be a way for the self harmer to feel like they have control over their own body, when they can't control anything else in their life. Overall, self-harm is a way of dealing with intense emotional pain.

My gut says the friend was cutting before this whole situation, especially since her family does not know of her sexual orientation. This does NOT mean that she is a danger to your daughter, if anything your daughter's friendship could significantly help this girl who is so obviously in pain. Many teens cut or self-harm in some way! It is still an unhealthy coping mechanism, but it is much more prevalent than you probably think.

I find this statement very extreme... How exactly is the friend manipulating and hurting your child?

I really urge you to approach this with your daughter differently. Read up on self-harming on the links I gave you, or do a little research of your own. I would talk to your daughter about how cutting is an unhealthy coping mechanism for dealing with pain, and that there are much more healthier ways of dealing with pain. Be careful to not put your daughter on defense right away, as far as you know your daughter has not harmed herself in any way at all yet and may not even feel the need to. In fact, she is most likely confused as to why exactly her friend is harming herself. Use this as a teachable moment with your daughter, and perhaps your daughter will be able to significantly help this girl out.

I full-heartedly agree with Aldrick - this young girl desperately needs help. And if someone's crying for help, you should give them it, not stand there and judge the way they're asking for it.

Here's a very good booklet to help you understand more about self-harming.

2. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I respect and appreciate all of the information (and advice) that has been received. Thanks again. We may not agree on some parenting issues but I am willing to agree to disagree. No apologies will be made for protecting my daughter above all else. That may sound (and actually be) callous but that's the reality of parenting. My parenting at least.

My daughter has been well, if not happier, ever since we told her no more Instagram, and more in-life contact. She has re-joined some activities that we had been too lazy for her to join before. I spoke to the potential therapist this evening and it was very promising.

Thanks again. This board was extremely helpful to me and my family when I needed it.

3. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I would just like to mention that this is not your journey. I don't think you are suffering the most in this situation. It is your daughter. I realise that you have quite a smorgasbord of worries, but it's highly possible (maybe even definite) that your daughter has more. I'm sorry if I sound condescending, that is not my intention, but I just feel like you should know this. :slight_smile:

4. DinelodiiGitli

It's very unlikely your child will start self-harming as a result of someone she's knows doing so. People who self-harm are usually hyper aware of the issue and will go to great lengths to prevent those they know from doing the same.
    Just make sure she feels supported.

5. tentacles

First, congratulations for supporting your daughter! I'm really happy to hear about.
    However, I disagree with you on the internet matter. Ok, it may be dangerous to talk to people online, but she is probably feeling alone. Talking to a therapist about your sexuality is not the same thing as talking to a friend about it.
    My advice is: let her access the internet, but talk to that friend of hers and/or her mother. That way you will feel safe and your daughter will have her friend.
    That's what my father and my stepmother do. They even became friends with a friend of mine and let her sleep here once. It's really good to have a relationship based in trust and sharing!

6. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Things have been fine here. After my initial anxiety, I find after (total migraine headaches for weeks), I think things have calmed down to normal. And I mean Normal. I do have migraines but my daughter seems to be fine and happy. I thank God for that