1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever self-harmed?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by itsmary, May 17, 2015.

1. Oh hai

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So many times. I even have my own cutting knife just for the purpose. (nervous laughter).

2. PeachPenumbra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The best advice I was ever given was on my first day of therapy "if you have to do it be safe and clean" She encouraged me to find other coping methods etc but she understood and accepted that it wasn't something I could just stop over night. It was the first time I didn't feel like trash for doing it, and the first time I felt supported.

Finding a healthy coping method, like other people have said, is the best way I can think of to stop self harming. You may have to try lots, some more than once, to find ones you like. Lots of info online about CBT and mindfulness which might help. Reading some success stories from people who have over come it could help too :slight_smile:

Going for a run/exercise and drawing work really well for me. Another one I use is just shutting everything out, like I sit down, close my eyes and don't move. I know if I move I'll hurt myself so I just stay still and stop myself thinking by completely concentrating on the noises around me. I kind of pretend I don't exist, until I calm down enough to do something else.

3. Aster

I've been clean for nearly two months now. Back when it was around March that was the worst my depression had ever gotten. I had anxiety attacks everyday because of it and I ended up trying more self-harm methods. The thing I did the most was grow my fingernails out really long and then dig them into both of my arms, and then I started biting, scalding myself, I stopped eating, scratch and punched myself and I attempted cutting but didn't get more than a tiny cut on my wrist.

My depression is like a switch, where it has an "on" and "off" mode. Thankfully it's off now and I'm feeling happier. I'm currently having Cognitive Behavioural Therapy incase I have a relapse on my depression and anxiety.

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I never self-harmed, but I did stop eating during my teenage years. Had anorexia. It was during a period where I hated myself and more society.

Thankfully doing so much better these days:slight_smile:

5. Al92

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Since elementary school.

Don't know exactly when it started. I've always had a difficult character.

I remember one apisode in 6th grade: I hitted myself, I hit my head repeteadly against the desk in class, almost everyone was yelling saying "D. is an authist!, D. is an authist!" (My first name starts with D).

It's happened when I've been on very stressful situations, or when I'm really angry and get criticized, I have also destroyed like three cellphones, the fridge of my house has a dent because one day I hit my head against it. I've also bitten myself. I've also felt the impulse to jump, throw myself down the stairs, fortunately never done it.

Haven't done it for a while, Now I try to control myself and take things easy.

6. Theo Weiss

Have been self-harming on and off for about 2 years, recently it has died down a lot since I have been receiving therapy that has been very effective to say the least. I still have my days although where I seem to get an inevitable and unshakable urge to hurt myself. This is a huge improvable from only about 2 months ago when I would self-harm almost every other day or so.

7. RainDreamer

Why the heck do you sounds just exactly like me? I also head butt walls and hard surface when I was around 6th grade... I also bit myself, many times, punching myself, and strangle myself until my strength gave out (haven't fainted from that, thankfully). Also that impulse...one reason that I am still incapable of driving is because I sometimes freeze in middle of traffic, momentarily absorbed in the thought of just jumping into an oncoming car. Sometimes it happen with stairs too... Or sharp objects...

Actually, where is the limit between self-harm and suicidal tendency? I haven't acted on my impulse thus far, and I have not harm myself recently, though sometimes I fear my sanity will break.

8. PeacefulWarrior

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes. I used to drink lots of coffee in short time and tried to cut myself. My breast aches sometimes thank to this past habit. But at that time I really wanted attention, that somebody notice me and my sorrow - it didn't happen for a long time.
    When I went to psycologist a few times (in secret) it helped lot - I just needed somebody to talk to honestly without anxiety and get some advice. Cause I'm reserved a little bit.

9. emmadances

Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't Cut, but sometimes, and I know this is kinda bizarre, but I bite mysel, really hard like on my arM, just when I'm stressed and stuff. Nothing serious or anything.

This may be really annoying to you,.and I hope it's not, but I have heard from people that the way that they stop self harming is to draw on themselves in felt tips instead of cuttinG.
    I don't have any experience with it myself so I'm not sure.

10. Decandyman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I was in a really, really dark and lonely time and state of being. I guess one of the reasons why I did it was because I didn't feel at all, I had no ounce of human emotion, I wasn't sad, nor was I happy, I felt emptiness even if emptiness cannot be described as an emotion. So I did it numerous times around my arms and legs so I could at least feel like a human being rather than a machine.

But now I am much much better. It wasn't a good coping mechanism and I am certain that people will tell you this all the time. It didn't improve my situation at all and it made me feel incredibly embarrassed when I had to wear short sleeved shirts, so I stopped and instead began listening to music, drawing, writing journals and I guess those hobbies helped me to not only understand the nature of the disease but also to allow me to have a space where I can retreat and pursue relaxing pursuits.

I also want to suggest drawing mandalas. They are geometric everlasting symbols of the universe. You start with one dot and you 'grow' your mandala whilst listening to your favourite music. It is incredibly relaxing and a form of meditation.

#50 Decandyman, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  11. The Wallflower

Emotionally. Technically, Emotional self-harm isn't a thing, but I do it all the time. Sometimes I think I deserve to suffer and the way I feel I can hurt myself hardest is in my heart. It's a type of pain that, when in that state of sadness, just feels so good.

I know, I sound like a psycho, but... that's what depression does.

12. Dark Hearts

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've done a fair amount of self harm. I didn't do a lot of cutting, but I did other things that wouldn't be quite as noticeable. I'm still in the same dark place and it's hard to not start up again, though knowing that I'm out of luck and if I get caught and I'd have to go into involuntary treatment because I had to get hospitalized for last suicide attempt, it helps deter it a little.

13. me0w

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I started cutting on August of last year. I haven't done it in a long while now, but I still think of doing it on a daily basis. It's almost like I miss it. For me, cutting is like a punishment—a punishment I so well deserve for being the contemptible being that I am.
    But I highly regret ever cutting myself. My arms are all f*cked up; I can't even wear shirts with short sleeves anymore.
    Not that I was intent on garnering attention or anything, but the two guys I confessed my 'self-harming' to didn't seem to care at all.
    I always seem to make the wrong choices in life and self harm was definitely one of them.

14. Blakeee

I started earlier this school year (maybe November or December) and did it a lot but I do it rarely now. I have anxiety medicine and stuff and it helps a lot. If you self harm try to get help, it helps soo much.

15. RedHeadHatter

Oh wel, in my case I never really self-harmed, I guess I have an unbearable fear of death to do anything that could result in it. (I mean I almost panic when I think of the afterlife, or the lack of one). If I get any emotional instability I usually make myself so busy that I can't think of the problem, that and the fact that, since I play Judo, it helps a lot when I am stressed.

16. IcelandLover

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to, but now I'm in a better place.