1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever self-harmed?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by itsmary, May 17, 2015.

1. Kael

Self harming, as a coping mechanism, I guess works for me.
    Everyone's got certain things they run to to help them cope.

Mine was cutting. Is cutting.

I don't do it often, but when the times get really tough, I resort to it. It's something that makes me feel something rather than the emptiness that overwhelms me.

And that's my story so far. For about a year or two. And I'm still going and I don't know how to stop.

Kael~

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Yes, its utterly pointless and stupid so dont do it. Dont hate yourself for doing it either because thats a vicious cycle with no end. The only way to stop is to find a better outlet for your grief and there should be alot of those close by as long as your willing to try them

3. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Jup however not the traditional cutting

One would count as self harm to others but for me it's mostly a nasty habit

The other was something i did a few years ago.It involved scratching wounds on my back and then letting hot water pour over it...let's say i was mentally in a pretty bad state.

4. las16663

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    self harm for started in junior high with putting myself n very risky situations and a suicide attempt by haning. it evolve into completely nihilistic and self destructive behaviors before i started cutting. after starting cutting, the self destructiveness started to decrease.

5. David21201

Jesus...lets see...i first cut in 4th grade. When i developed a true crush on a girl. I tend to dig my nails into my skin if I dont have a blade or match or lighter. I'm covered in scars. My parents found out in 6th grade and I saw a counceller for awhile and she said I was "mentally stable and probably doing it for attention" ...Turns out I have depression. I haven't cut for about....2 days maybe? I feel a wave though so...I might as well say 0 days... It's hard to stop self-harming. I have written 10 suicide letters. 4 just within this past month.... I'm pretty fucked up in the noggin

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I-I...yes. Clean for two months, snapped today. Use nails, razor, scissors, punching self. Recently, made blood drip down my head from my scratches. And why do I do it?
    I don't know. I need serious help. One second, I'm happy, normal, good me. The next...
    "The world hates me. I hate the world." I'm gonna go hurt this worthless body..
    I regret it so much. But when I feel this way, its uncontrollable...
    I'm breaking down
    I....
    I did this five minutes ago.....
    I...need someone....
    I hurt my lovely girlfriend....
    I apologized, she'll probably forgive...but I...I hurt her, I made myself bleed IN FRONT of her.
    I've been terrible.
    It's not pmsing or anything. Two months now. I need help..
    I'm scared I'll severely hurt me or someone close to me....

I already have.

I hope I don't go any further.

7. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes I have. There have been times where I just snap and I self harm. It starts with intense feelings of frustration and anxiety for me.

8. Ravienclaw

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Same ^^

9. TearDropFairy91

Yes when I was 16 I had just moved out to live with my dad it was mostly caue of stress i use to get depressed and upset and worry a lot about things but over time i just became stronger on my own :slight_smile:

#29 TearDropFairy91, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  10. Spacesword

I started cutting in sixth or seventh grade I think, because I basically wanted to punish myself for being a freak when I first started questioning my gender and sexuality as well as to cope with the bullying I faced every day. After a failed suicide attempt when I was thirteen(where I attempted to split my wrist.) my best friend helped me to stop and I've only had one relapse with self harm since then and that was my junior year of high school when my mom freaked out when she found out I was dating a girl.

My advice is that its not worth it, it honestly don't help.

11. Lear

I tried it once for 'practical' reasons..my then girlfriend did it and I wanted to understand why she did it and how it made her feel. My conclusion was that it mostly just hurts.

12. itsmary

I cut again yesterday.... I was anxious because I had to speak in public today but everything turned out good sooo I regret the cuttings. I'm seriously trying hard on this depression/personality disorder/social anxiety. I'm doing a little progress. I hope not to cut again. It feels good at first but scars burn like hell

13. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes... been a few days since.

14. gorillabrain

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Been SH'ing on and off for many years, At the moment it's back; It shall pass...

15. cloudberry

I did it when I was a teenager, but I stopped when I was around 16 and hadn't done it in like 8 years until I kind of relapsed two weeks ago actually... only did it once and I'm trying not to do it again, because even though it helps temporarily i feel like it only makes things worse in the long run. I really, really regret doing it when I was younger because the scars look so horrible and now I can't ever wear t-shirts or go swimming even though I'd really like to... :/ I tried to start wearing t-shirts a few years ago and for a while I almost felt comfortable doing it but then I went on a holiday with some friends and had so many people pointing at my scars and even laughing that I just wear long sleeves now even in the summer. So I really recommend finding other coping mechanisms even though I get that sometimes it feels like the only thing that helps.

16. wolf of fire

This is the first time I have told anyone but yes I have. The first time I was 13-ish and well just depressed, my usual coping mechanism is squash a bug; I was too down to get up and find one so I would do instead. It's never been anymore than scraching myself- usually the legs as no one ever sees them, I've drawn few drops of blood before.
    It's gotten worse recently- I feel the need to more often; before it was once every few months now maybe once a month.
    Felt good saying this for these first time.

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only on a very limited scale, and very infrequently. On some days, it seems that problems and issues I'm grappling with start spiraling out of control, with problem stacked upon problem. Usually in retrospect, the issues don't seem THAT overwhelming, but they do at the time.

Let me give you an example. I was at work, making phone calls to various people, which is probably number one on my "things I have to do at work that I really would rather not". And it seemed everybody I talked to on the phone was giving me the "oh, as long as I have you on the phone, let me give you another project to work on" routine. So I got to this one phone call, and she started asking a bunch of what I thought were unbelievably obvious questions. I told her "there's no way we'd be able to do that"...which would lead her to ask "but is there any way at all you could do that?" And finally, I'd had enough, and I felt myself ready to tell her to get off the phone, quit her job, and take a course in basic English comprehension until she could handle this facet of her job.

Instead, I grabbed a rubber band from my desk, and put it around my wrist....and give it a small snap against my wrist. That's all it takes. Somehow, that snaps my brain back into reality. And I can be myself again. "No, I'm afraid there simply is no way we'll be able to do that for you. I'm sorry."

Lex

18. Sienrar

No, and I never will.

19. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to burn, but it's turned into scratching.

20. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In a few months I'll reach three years without self-harming.