1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guy in LA become Prom queen

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Blondie, May 28, 2009.

1. China33

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
  2. NkyJ

I agree with you totally, there's no reason (other than a joke) for him to become the queen. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. acorn7

From the article:
    Why not? :slight_smile:

4. NkyJ

Well, by definition a queen is a woman, or something personified as a woman, that is foremost or preeminent in any respect. He is not a woman, so he should have gone for King. Unless you want to argue that queen can also mean a flamboyant male homosexual! :lol:

5. Just Adam

i think he should get to be anything he likes he just got in there first... i reckon the women who lost out shot him sooooooo many evils haha...hope he just sticks his tounge out

6. littledinosaurs

so agreed.
    The fact that this is getting a ton of attention is annoying me.
    It's not exactly a huge stride forward for LGBT people, it's kind of a step back in my opinion.

7. Greggers

"Marriage is traditionally between a man and a woman"

We broke down that one.

Why not "Prom Queen"? :slight_smile: I personally dont see it as a step forward or back. Its getting too much press coverage, i agree. Its not a BAD thing, its not a GOOD thing. Its a guy, hes obviously an effeminate male, he ran for Queen, it was not a joke, he won. Good for him. More power to him for doing it. But i dont think its "AAAAAAAH HE SHOULD NOT BE IN THE ROLE OF A WOMAN" or anything. No need to sound off the alarms hehe :slight_smile: Its a silly title for Prom. Nothing more, nothing less, right?

8. excuseyou77

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree completely.

9. Just Adam

time was alot of female roles were done by men, in the theatre men used to have to play the female parts.... it just doesent matter this is getting blown way over the top he ran he got ellected queen like i keep saying good for him :slight_smile:

people have said that he got voted as a joke or some cruel thing.... cant the people just think hey hed be a nice quess lets have change nobody says a queens a woman in these things everyone just decides thats how it is.

i dont see this as anything to do with lgbt rights or a cause can everyone get off that thought process this is just a guy having some fun dont lay guilt trip on this oh your harming our cause by beeing so strereotypical or whatever.

lets just be happy he had a nice time and leave it at that he wanted it got voted it had a nice dance... that a thing did him and the king kiss at the end of the dance...who lead teh dance?.... can we get confirmation on these things :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... apart from that yay him end

10. NkyJ

Different, we're talking about roles here not the union between the two. When two men enter into marriage, one of the men does not become a WIFE, they're both husbands. This is the same thing here, a man is a King and a girl is a Queen.

11. Just Adam

dude your far stuck in the way things are said to be, you can call yourself what you want this was only a bit of fun.... and in a married relationship one guy can be the wife... its just a bit of fun

12. NkyJ

I think I'm just going to refrain from commenting on this anymore to keep this a civil place. :-D

13. Just Adam

its civil but you cant get caught up on somethings like this or like that. things change and things can be changed to how you want, never limit yourself to what people think should be:slight_smile:

14. NkyJ

It's not what people think should be, it's what I think should be. Only my opinion and I'm sure it's shared by others here too, but of course there are other people who see it the other way. That's what happens with this stuff. No side wins or is right, it's just a matter of opinion. :slight_smile:

15. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I'll take your place :thumbsup:.

He said he doesn't wish to be a girl.

I'm the first one to criticize traditional gender roles, but the Prom King/Queen stuff is a symbolic representation of this: the King of Masculinity and the Queen of Femininity. Making a gay guy be the Queen doesn't do away with this tradition, it merely reinforces the misconception that gay guys are like girls.

16. Étoile

Exactly. This may have all been in good fun, but this was a step backward. Not a huge one, a small step, but still. This morning, a girl in my class was reading this article in my city's newspaper and she read the above quote that Greggers quoted (LOL Quotable Quotes Quoted). She didn't say, "Wow! Good for him breaking down barriers!" She laughed, along with others. Although it's technically her fault, snide jokes and serious beliefs about gays wanting to be woman and being less of a man could pop up more, with our crediblity going down the drain.

He should have ran for Prom King and showed that men can still fill traditional roles but be feminine, not run for Prom Queen and water the stereotype seed and potentially make it harder for other gay guys.

17. Greggers

Pandering to the "Gay Sterotype" as its so called, is not a bad thing FYI. Some people just fit the gay stereotype, some dont. Its not bad/wrong/less/worse if someone DOES fit the stereotype. A stereotype is generally made from the most VISUAL and common themes in a group of people. That does not mean its a bad thing, it just means that the stereotypers are small minded thats all. If him running for Prom Queen makes a few closed minded people assume all gays are exactly like that, then i doubt the problem would be solved by muffling the story. If this story didnt exist, the media would just go somewhere else for the same type of thing. You cant just make the media ignore one side of gay people.

There is ALOT more to it than "I am a man" or "I am a woman" and i have first hand experience here. Its not always so black and white. Many shades of grey let things like this happen. A guy can feel not "like a woman" but still feel he fits the role of Prom Queen better. Its something i think you have to look into deeper to understand, cause it really is not so clear cut as "Man run for Prom King, Woman run for Prom Queen". That kind of thinking is the same line that the opponents of Same Sex Marriage use (that was my point before)

WHY would he run for "Prom King" when that role is for someone who is a power figure, masculine, and strong? If we leave out "man" and "woman" and look at whats behind that, you will see its not so clear cut. Prom King does not fit this guy, clearly.

The "Prom Queen" figure is more graceful, feminine, and beauty figure. If a guy feels like that, i say go for it. This is obviously the role that suits the guy more, so why deny him it?

Again, if you take out the outter gender conformity in the situation and look deeper, i think he was just following his heart. Something i admire in anyone.

My new slogan: "Penis =/= Prom King"

18. Shevanel

I called it, thats all i'm gonna say :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. Mr Bojangles

That is so epically gay:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. I've kinda been put off epic gayness though, because of blah blah blah (Will rant about it later)

20. Just Adam

im super un stereotype gay but if someone wants to be thats fine i am amaized how people see this as any step back it was his decision for him it doesent effect anyone else on here or anywhere else, you will live how you want and you will be judged on yourself i agree with greggers on this about the stereotypeing

and i know everyone can have n opinion and i respect that its great we can all have and share them openlly but to say this kid just enjoying himself has set us back in our epic quest or some bs is just wrong. he changed nothing we are jusged anyway and seen as feminine as it is alot of gay guys are its just how it is big woop it dont matter we are working towards beeing judged on us not how macho we are... you can judge him on beeing a prat for doing it...especially as everyone woman will be out to kill him but you cant judge him on if hes set back teh cause of millions of lgbt people as thats just cruel hes just one guy and many MANY do far worse that could set us back everyday but its accepted thats how some of us are and we are moving forward.

some people will always judge us not accept us, and i actually think he was quite brave to stand up and say im gonna do this and also the school for running with it.

why cant people be happy for him instead or going i dont like this its set me back or... i dont get it now we will all look feminine.... i respect your right to opinion i just cant see it :frowning2: