1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay= Sin True or False

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by vixx123, May 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meropspusillus

I'm a terrible, terrible sinner. Hell is going to be much more exciting than heaven could ever have hope to be.

2. SailingKoala

"I'm a terrible, terrible sinner."

You can't be trying hard enough it is really easy to Sin, For Gods sake, I just did it then when I took the lords name in vain... hehe

False - Luv can't be a sin - not that i think of myself as religious

3. Derek the Wolf

According to the Catholic Church, the inclination towards homosexuality is not a sin (i.e. being gay is fine, just don't have gay sex). I personally do not believe sex of any sort is a sin, so long as it's consensual. ^^

4. waitingsucks

the only "sin" would be not being true to yourself

5. pokeypanda

false false false

6. schoolboy91

schoolboy91 Guest

actually... You would be surprised at how many people that are gay think that practicing homosexual, well, sex is a sin. Just because they think it is doesnt mean that they are not out or dont like to associate with other gay people. They could lead a life of celebacy but they still love everyone just the same and want to be a part of the community. :slight_smile:

7. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was visiting a religious forum about this, and they told me it's a moral sin

But a few people told me that it isn't. So it's a personal choice, but if regarding the Bible it is.

I don't think it's a sin, and it's all just prejudice guys who wrote that it is.

8. Mellowish

i think false i like guys and im left handed which are in the bible both evil plus why would god give us a free will

9. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    God didn't, the devil did.

that's what that apple does, gives you freedom and wisdom,

so you can be like God, the devil said

10. JayC

JayC Guest

I am a Christian and have been told many times that being gay is a sin. Yes, at first I was closeted but that lifestyle led me on a very bad path and yes I did try to convert myself but when I realized I was leading a terrible life because of being in the closet I came out and i think i did the right thing. We all sin everyday so maybe this is my sin while someone else's sin could be disrespecting his or her parents God forgives all sin but this is my point of view not trying to push Christianity at all just stating my beliefs

#30 JayC, May 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2009
  11. starfish

I want to touch on this. I have heard Christians quote this Leviticus many times. Which is funny because as you said it does not apply any longer.

The most accepting person I have met is a practicing Jew. His stance is that we are who we are. Kinda funny when you think about it.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my experience, there are a LOT of people who, when they are first coming to terms with their homosexuality or bisexuality, have a tremendous struggle in reconciling their religious beliefs with what they are actually feeling and experiencing.

Personally, I tend to try openminded and at least listen and respect the viewpoints of others, even when I don't agree with them, and so I find that most of the time I'm not angry or judgemental toward those who condemn homosexuality, because I realize that in almost all cases, there's something underlying their anger or rejection. Perhaps it's simply stuff they've been taught that they've never had "real world" experience to challenge. Perhaps it's their own internalized fears about themselves. Perhaps it's rigid mental thought processes that doesn't allow for intellectual thought, discussion, and coming to their own viewpoints rather than blindly accepting someone else's.

When I find someone who is truly intelligent, analytical, and thoughtful, but also has a strong religious faith, those people are generally very openminded and tolerant toward homosexuality. I'm speaking of people who has a really deep grasp of the fundamental teachings *behind* Christianity and most other religious beliefs, the real foundations of a moral society, as opposed to those who simply listen to someone quoting scripture out of context. These are the sort of people who can evaluate all of the seeming contradictions and come to a place of understanding that reconciles the issues.

And, pretty much without fail, these are the people who are the most accepting, loving, genuine and faithful people, people who (at least in my opinion) truly embody the core of religious teachings that Jesus shared. These are the people who say that no, being gay is not a sin, having gay sex is not a sin, and being homosexual is not a sin.

I won't get into a deep theological discussion, in part because I'm not qualified to do so, but I do believe that being Christian and being gay (and having gay sex) are not incompatible.

Oh, and by the way... in the 1950s, Jerry Falwell was quoting scripture from the Bible to justify why putting black kids and white kids in schools together was an abomination and was a sin and would cause the world to end and so forth. Funny how he ended up shutting up about that once the country as a whole decided that this was unacceptable. I think we will eventually come to the same place with gays and lesbians.

13. Hard Candy

Hard Candy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    False. I am a spiritually faithful person and I believe in God, but I don't think he hates gays like some people say. God is the epitome of love, respect, and acceptance right? So how come bigots who claim to be pious defy that? Can they show us the black and white contract that says God appointed them to decide which is right and wrong when it comes to this matter?

14. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    False and I personally think it's stupid that anyone would ever try to convince someone it's a sin. The concept of "sin" is highly problematic in the first place. Putting a high emphasis on "sin" creates an environment of shame. "Sin" is a word that is not definable by a mere human but it still scares people into being something they are not. I'm not religious but I doubt God (if it is the God people speak so highly of) would ever judge a person for being gay. We are but ants in the grand scheme of things so why would God care about something as simple as sexuality? There are much bigger things to be concerned about. Religious texts are a reflection of the context of their time period.

15. Linthras

Linthras Guest

Don't believe in sin.
    And if I did, I doubt any god powerful enough to create the entire universe would care what two consenting adults do. In fact I doubt any such being would have problems with two people loving each other.

16. Bi As A Kite

17. Fiddledeedee

False. A sin is something which hurts you, others, God, or the relationships between any of those. Being gay is not inherantly wrong because it is not negative and God would not create us gay if it was. There are bad things which can come with it, but a loving relationship with a member of the same sex is something to be praised rather than condemned; it is homophobia which is wrong. Sinful behaviours like some kinds of promiscuity are not directly linked to homosexuality.

18. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^I think lying to oneself and others their entire lives is far more detrimental than love ever was. :slight_smile: I too, have had people try to convert me. God wants us to be true to ourselves, and only then can we truly be set free. God loves us no matter what we do but we have to accept His love before we can feel it! I may be gay but I'm going to Heaven. :3

19. TheSeeker

Ok, I have been procrastinating posting for the past few days because I have been busy doing other things away from the computer... But this topic is too good to pass up. I will attempt to stay civil...

I am sick and tired of the concept of "Sin" as a basis to judge others or as a basis to judge yourself. I refuse to believe that such a purportedly "merciful and loving" god would make us a certain way and then condemn us when we try to love eachother. What makes straight people so much more right? Why is our version of sex repulsive in the eyes of "the lord"? Does he just enjoy watching heterosexual sex more? Ok, that was inappropriate of me, but I am working from a great deal of bitterness here.

So, I am what could rightly be called a "recovering christian". I am done with it forever, I was sick and tired of being "right" all the time! No, my faith almost destroyed me in highschool. I was fanatical about it. I was intensely anti-gay, but this was primarily because I knew that men turned me on and I was hoping that my best-pal Jesus was gonna save me from my general fantasies of buggery...

The one time I attempted to come out, I ended up being sent to a therapist in Colorado Springs sponsored by "Focus on the Family", which is a neo-conservative organization listed as a "Hate Group" by some. Whatever, it's a long story that I have already told on other threads, but long story short:

My religion and the concept of "Sin" kept me chained and in the closet for over a decade. I am just starting to come out now, and I feel terrific about it. However, I couldn't accept myself until I just gave up on religion all together (last year). I was living with muslims at the time and found their religion to be a insufferable and repressed as my childhood faith. However, they both thought that they had a handle on the truth. As this has no logical bearing I determined that "they both can't be right; thus... they are both wrong". Never looked back, I don't miss it even slightly, and I have never been happier.

However, I know there are plenty of of you on here who are much less keen to throw jesus under the bus than I was. So, using a bit of theology, I will make a christian case for why I don't think God cared too much about homosexuality amid other sins:

Alright, firstly, the issue is never addressed by god himself, or by christ. Not a word. Nowhere. Now say what you will concerning the entire bible as the word of god and I will be impressed by your ability to speak hebrew, greek, and aramaic; I guess consistency just isn't his thing... I kid, I kid, moving on!

Homosexuality is only mentioned in passing; once in Leviticus and once in Romans. In Leviticus it is shoved in among other dusty Jewish pronouncements against things like "eating shellfish". Important stuff! You'd think, if homosexuality was as big a deal as the Republican party makes it out to be, it would at least get its own commandment! In Romans, Paul (yes Paul, that guy) says, randomly, that "to lie with another man is an abomination". When I read that passage my first thought was, where in the world did that come from?! I has no relation to what he is even talking about... I have never really had respect for Paul though, he just seemed to be a bit late to the party. He's like a Jesus fanboy that joined the fandom way late and tried to make up for it by producing huge volumes of Jesus fanfiction... Plus he was always begging for god to take away the "thorn in his side". There are plenty of prevailing opinions, however, that this "thorn" was located more toward the back and firmly attached to Timothy...

Ok, still bitter, moving on. So, back to the concept of Gay = Sin. According to the Bible: Yes. According to God/Jesus: They don't seem to care enough to mention it. However, they do mention greed, gluttony, and being judgmental lots of times... Be sure to use that in your next argument. My favorite theologian (before I converted to Hedonism) was C.S. Lewis. He made a case for homosexuality in one of his main works. I think it was "Mere Christianity" but I don't remember.

So, religious and queer? You have three options:

1. Drop your religion like a hot potato (it's fun!)
    2. Beef up on your apologetics and theology, so you can make a case for yourself to people who don't want to hear it.
    3. Suffer in silence knowing your existence is wrong...

Sorry to be bitter, but christianity almost ruined my life, and I am sick of seeing it ruin the lives of others.

Peace and Love!

-The Seeker

20. Zontar

I don't see these same anti-gay people waiting for marriage. That's pretty clearly outlined in the Bible just as the prohibition on homosexuality. Also, every anti-gay religious nut who ever cheated on his wife can blow me. There's more explicit prohibitions of adultery in the Bible than there ever was on homosexuality. It's even a bloody commandment.

As long as nobody is making any sense with these other two things, I think we can certainly bend the rules just the same and make an exception for the gays.

You don't hate the gays because of your religion. You hate the gays because you're a giant toolbag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.