1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gay Disowned & Rejected advice?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ThisIsLuka, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey im Luka. This is my first post.

First of all, im 18, and this is sorta my story from the past to current.

Since I was 7 years of age, Ive known I was different than the rest of the family, I was the only gay kid in the whole family, or so I thought. My cousin (female) cameout at the age of 16 and was immediately disowned from the family but luckily she had friends to take her in, I was about 10 years old when this occurred.
    Since this event happened I was more afraid to come out to both family and friends, so I kept it in as a secret. Depression arose on my teenage years and has gotten worse and worse as each day went by. Thoughts of selfharm and suicide came into mind but I wasnt giving in.

As I, myself, gotten alot worse and depressed more than ever I thought it would be a great time to finally come out just so everybody could know the real me and not to pretend to be something I never was.

On March 16, 2015, just a few days ago from today... I finally came out and everything I was afraid of might happening, happened... I was disowned and shut out of the family, being told gay was a wrong doing and a disgrace to be called their son. I reached out to friends, only to find out they have their opinions on homosexuality and rejected my orientation, so all friends stopped talking to me. (Didnt have much because I was too afraid to make more and the thoughts of rejection of my orientation) So at this point, I had nowhere to stay. No family lived in the same city. I became homeless but luckily I had my phone to connect to the internet for support and called support lines. Until I got a message telling me I was going to be cut from it. Now I go around finding free wifi spots.

Now you know I was disowned and rejected by both family and friends.. I am still in highschool gr12 but I keep dropping out because I was too depressed to even think so my grades went downhill.. I got no money, ive never gotten to have a job making me unexperienced and not being wanted at most workplaces..

Today, is my Day 9, of being kickedout and homeless. Thoughts of Self-Harm and suicide are at its largest, im just fighting for the chance to be once happy again but it might be a longshot. Im afraid it will win this time so now im reaching out to you or anybody for some advice. And support. What should I do? Ive tried going to homeless centres but not accepted because i was only homeless for 9days and they were giving the space to those who needed it more.

Thank you if you read it and for taking the time to read and hopefully for advice..

2. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, hang in there. Can you contact your cousin? She might be able to help you. The only thing I can offer is support. Are there any places that are willing to give you a job? I know that everything is probably dark right now, but hang on, please. As for homelessness, were you on agreeable terms with any of your former teachers, maybe the ones you might have asked recommendation letters from? They may not be able to shelter you, but they may be able to help you.

3. guitar

Oh my god, my heart is breaking just reading your post. What parent could ever disown their child? You haven't killed anyone, haven't harmed anyone or ripped people off. You simply want to kiss boys instead of girls, and your parents feel this makes you unworthy of their love. In 2015 in North America, that is beyond f*cked up.

As for what can be done, I'm really at a loss. I don't know if going to a local university, church, or charity might be able to help you. Are you close to your highschool? I would consider going to see a guidence councilor and telling them you need a social worker and immediate supports.

For what it's worth, you have my support & you'll be in my thoughts. Your bravery for coming out is commendable & your parents actions are wholly despicable.

4. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you both very much!

I havent been to school for a year and its across the city, nothing i dont mind to walk there.. Teachers for recommendation idk im not too talkative to people. Not because of shyness but i havent been letting anybody get close to me for years. I used to be great with school until gr11-12 where i kept repeating downhill grades and poor attendance. Dropouts and all. As for jobs no. Not even the cheapest fastfood restautant considered me. My cousins trail is cold and unable to contact. Havent been able to contact her for years since she came out.

Thanks again to both of you.. it means awhole lot to me for giving in some of your time to read and reply :slight_smile:

5. gasian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not even through social media? Do you have sympathetic family (brothers, sisters, cousins, etc.) that can help?

You might be able to ask social services for help? I'm pretty sure that they don't discriminate based off of sexual orientation, and you may be able to get help that way. I'm sorry that I'm not very good at helping you...just hold on. I know you can get through this.

6. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Unfortunately Yes. Not even through social media..

My only sister has accepted me and tried to convince them to let me back in but it was no use. Now shes not able to contact me. If they do so find out shes trying to or is. They will take away all communicating devices til its forgotten.
    And for family. None of them live in the same city or province. We moved here 5years ago. Rest of the family lives in alberta. I have cousins who accepted me. But they cannot afford to come or pay my way because they have their own issues.. but still i wouldnt take their money if they gave.
    Ill give social services a try. And thank you. Atleast youre trying to help and all. Dont feel like youre not doing much because you just might be.. thanks again.. ill try keep my thoughts clear of any negative choices . Try..

7. guitar

In Ontario there's Kid's Help Phone, the children's aid society, and countless crisis hotlines that can get you help. I would do a Google search & see what Manitoba offers. There are people who can help you & want to help you in the city.

Do see if you can call your high school. Ask to be connected to a councilor. Tell them you're a former student & recently dropped out because of severe anxiety & depression. Tell them about being gay, getting disowned & homeless and ask them to connect you to anyone who can help.

Check out this website: http://www.rainbowresourcecentre.org

Search for gay help Winnipeg, there are quite a few resources. Infact the resources page on that site lists several numbers you can call.

#7 guitar, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well as difficult as it may seem I think you're a really strong person. I honestly couldn't imagine going through what you have an I think you're very brave for that. (*hug*) do you think you could get your GED? Then you could maybe find a job with that? (*hug*)

9. Cesar123

Hey luka. You need to find your nearest school, if one is closer than go to that one, and tell what is going on to a guidance counselor. They will than proceed to call social service and your districts homeless liaison. They might be able to put you in a foster home until you are able to go to college this fall, which if your 3 years were good I am sure you will get in. You NEED to see them though because they are the only ones can do the verification which will make you an independent student, this way you can continue further education before you are 24. If you are able to get some stability, ask if you can repeat your senior year ( I am sure they will make an exception to you ). What state are you currently in? I know a few youth LGBT homeless shelters that take 18-21.

The Ali Forney Foundation has some great places and information < Home - Ali Forney >. There is also the conventant house which would be able to take you in. I know all of foundations in the California area as well. The runaway hotline can also help you. They have a bunch of information on homeless shelters and intervention programs. It's 1-800-786-2929

Please stay in touch.

P.S this may be a dark time but that does NOT mean you can not go to college, have a stable home, and live a stable life. You can pull yourself out of this and you will.

---------- Post added 25th Mar 2015 at 06:49 AM ----------

I apologize. I just realized you are in Canada. I am so sorry, I have no information on how you guys up there handle your homeless or homeless youth. You should still contact you school and tell social services. They would know how to help you.

10. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well thank you all.. i do appreciate all the support and advices you've given me.. I will go to the school tomorrow and social services... and for the GED i cannot. As i wouldnt be able to pay for the application fees and others... Day9 has been the greatest so far with all the support you've given me..

Although my depression is at large. Youve taken a part of it off me. Thank you all..

11. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

This is beyond screwed up, especially in such a liberal country like Canada! As others have said, you need to try to reach out and find help. There are plenty of services out there that won't discriminate.

12. Justinian20

This is wrong! This story makes me incredibly sad and I can't imagine why someone would disown their children for being gay. I'm so sorry for you to have to go through this Luka and I hope that you will find people to help you and not discriminate against you. The best thing for you would be to find your cousin and ask her if you can stay while you finish your education, but then you said that you can't contact her. It's good your sister accepts you.

I think for a future you need to try and finish your education and so just try and speak to councillors and other people who might actually support you. You are also amazingly strong and you can get through this by reaching out to others, it's good you are a part of empty closets because you can talk to people and that already helps.

13. MisterTinkles

Unfortunately I am not a millionaire, otherwise I would come get you and give you what you need to live and start the life you want to start.

That is really fucked up that you were kicked out. But I have to say, it is good you are out of that house now and away from those people who obviously were no family to you.

I agree the school counselors should be able to help you at least find a place to stay for a while.

You can also get in contact with any of the LGBT organizations nearest you for advice and possible help. I don't know where you are, otherwise I would look up some phone numbers for you.

Let us know how things go with you!

14. David21201

(*hug*) i'm sorry to hear this...nobody should ever have this happen to them! (*hug*)

Have you tried to contact your cousin? Sounds like she could be helpful. Try talking to a teacher or consoler. I hope things get better for you!
    (*hug*)

15. MrSkittles

This broke my heart to read this. All i can say is to never give up and try to find someone that could help. I hope things improve for you!

16. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  17. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Much support. I thank you all for taking the time to read and reply.. each reply brightens my thoughts bit by bit knowing people actually do care..

I am also sorry for such delays on replying to you all. It is quite difficult to keep finding new spots for wifi after being chased off by workers.. though it is not their fault so i dont blame them..

And as for my cousin. Shes unable to reach through any social media. I dont know her friends and everything. I was unable to speak of her or contact her since the day she was disowned. Which was 8years ago since that happened.. although I tried..

But now im thinking.. this world is not much of a place for me anymore.. but ill try keep bright and positive thoughts going in.. thanks againn..

18. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow. This was truly sad to read. While saddened, I can't say "shocked" -- this from being around homophobic people myself. I don't know if any could actually throw their kids out of the house if they turned out to be gay, but its a scary thought.

There've been some good suggestions here, hopefully something will work out for you soon. Another one is try a google search of something like: winnipeg glbt youth center.

You also mentioned you have family that lives in Alberta... I know its a really long distance but if it all came down to it would there be any chances there? I remember reading somewhere that the job market in Alberta was fairly good?

---
    edit:
    As for where to get free WiFi: Try a Public Library (I know atleast here in the US it is very common for them to have it)

#18 SimplyJay, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  19. ThisIsLuka

ThisIsLuka Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes there is a chance in alberta.. alberta has the highest average wages in canada.. and not to mention a member of the family that supports my orientation. Although he doesnt have enough money to pay his way to come here and back or for me to go there.. not that i would ask him for money. Im not that much of a taker..

ive searched for lgbt youth centres. Its quite the distance. But i have all day . But their only open at certain dates for group meetings and all..

Thank you for taking some time to read and reply. Every comment counts.

20. scanner007

ThisIsLuka,

What an outrage. I'm sorry but your supposed family needs to be ...nevermind ..I just don't have anything kind to add there. If I had a child, I just cannot possibly see or understand in anyway how the love I had for that child could end. Did Jesus ever say throw your kids away if they're gay?...I don't friggin think so.

Well I"m sorry this has happened to you. Its terrible. But you seem to be doing the best you can to stay positive and climb up out of your troubles and on to a better life. There is a whole community of people are out there waiting to live with you and love you just as you are, you only need to reach out and do your part and it will be found. Don't despair, get angry ..you have a right to be ...only use that angry energy in a positive way to turn your life around.

Now on to some hopefully useful ideas....
    First of all..Im in the United States ...I don't know the laws in Canada but that would be my first suggestion. Maybe even find an attorney you can visit if they offer free initial consultations or have free legal aid of somekind on the net or in Canada. Find out everything you can on the laws pertaining to your situation. Read about the law on your phone. See if theres anything you can do to work things in your favor.

For example, you are 18. Where I live the legal age of adult is 19, are you still considered a child in Canada? I know in the United States anyone who abandons or neglects a child gets aquainted with the inside of a jail cell. While you might not want that, and its obviously a last resort, if your parents are still legally financially responsible for you...then I suggest you use the law to force it. Even if it only gets you support for a few months, it might be long enough to let you finish school and get prepared.

If you are considered an adult, consider your options:
    1) Contact agencies and organizations in your area who can help.
    2) Human interest story...contact local media, television and newspaper. Tell them what happened. Its something to do and maybe you'll fit into a gay rights story someone is already working on and give you more exposure and more local chances in your area for help.
    3) Maybe try kickstarter or one of those other crowdsource funding websites. I know I've read of that happening before where a gay teen was kicked out of his home and he got what like $90,000 US. Even if you don't bank big, maybe you can get a few people to get you enough to at least get you back on your feet.
    4) Be honest, get as much exposure as you possibly can, let your story be heard. The more people who read and learn of your situation, the more chances you have of someone helping you in some way, financially, emotionally, whatever.
    5) Can you join the military? or a PeaceCorp? ----I don't know what military opportunites they have in Canada...Iknow in America they have military and for young people they have AmeriCorp which is something you can commit to for 2 years and they give you a place to live, pay you and give you money for school and in return you do work for local community. If they have some kind of equivalent program like that in Canada, that might give you something to build upon.
    6) Coming to America - If Canada don't wanna help you then see if theres something over here you can get on board with.
    7) I don't care if people flame me for this, but LIE TO YOUR PARENTS. LOOK THEM RIGHT IN THE EYE AND LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH! tell them you are confused, that you need therapy, tell them you visited a clergyman and he helped you "pray the gay away" and now you're cured (yes, we all know that isn't possible) ...but if they buy it and let you move back in long enough so you can at least get your bearings and not be homeless ..who cares? Lying might not be the nicest thing, but then neither is booting your child out on their ass for the way they were born...So Touche.

Don't despair...get mad ..share your story ...write a damn book...march in the streets....fight!...you will survive!

I hope at least one of my ideas helped. Remember, you can have anything you want out of life...ANYTHING....just desire it and it will be yours.

GOODLUCK
    SCANNER