1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gah Acne

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dictionary, Jan 13, 2008.

1. boyequal

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was on the same boat when I was around 16, bad acne and such. I got put on a course of Roaccutane and it worked. Expensive, but it worked. Luckily I didn't get the depression side effects, only dry skin and HORRIDLY dry lips and sore joints. Those side effects went away about a month after I stopped taking it. Good news!

Now, a couple of years later, my back started up with acne again, so now I'm on a generic version, Acnetane. So far, it seems to be working. Dry lips are back again, sore joints and hyper-sensitive eyes. But, it's a trade I'm willing to make.

Some medicinal information :sleep: : Roaccutane was the first retinoid drug isotretonoin. When it first came it, it was very expensive, but it did work. Now many (more good and less bad) generics are on the market, such as Accutane, Acnetane, etc. and at least that has brought the price down. Basically, isotretonoin is substance related to vitamin A, so you're not allowed to take ANY other vitamin A while on this medication.

Good luck with the side-effects and smile at a clear skin :slight_smile:

2. Vampyrecat

Yeah, acne is a bummer.
    And yeah, its completely normal.
    I had acne since I was 11. It was pretty bad, but after a while I went to the doc's, and they put me on Doxycycline, which is not something I reccommend if you have only mild acne. Doxycycline is only for severe acne, and it works by treating infection and that sort of thing. When it's used over 6months or so, it gradually begins to work your skin into better condition.
    But one of the side effects is a bum as itchy as poison ivy. Also, it can give some people nausea or headaches.

I see that you're Male, otherwise I might suggest that you go on the pill. Obviously men cannot go on the pill (They'd grow boobs for a start).

My advice, buy a gentle cleanser/toner and moisturiser, but MAKE SURE that they're all gentle or specifically made for people with sensitive skin. normal strength cleansers/toners can strip all the oil from your skin making it feel tight and dry for a but, and then your skin will go into overdrive trying to make up for the lack of oil, producing more acne then you had in the first place.
    Use the Cleanser daily, with a moisturiser straight afterward, and then use a toner on your skin once a week at the absolute most. Avoid touching your skin unneccessarily, and try to drink a lot of water. Also, for some strange reason, I've found that eating a lot of apples seems to help my skin. I think there might be something in it that helps your skin.
    Kiwi fruit! If you can stand them (I know some people can't), eat a couple or more a week, because they're LOADED with Vitamin E, and Vitamin E is great for your skin.

Other then that, wait it out.
    Hope this helps. Remember most of us younger people here will have/have had experienced acne, so you're not alone on this issue.

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's what I was thinking too. I had bad acne when I was in my teens and although I really wanted to get rid of it somehow I wouldn't have gone to this extent.

4. RobbIsFlyyy

I used to wonder the same thing, and posted numerous times asking the same questions.
    I used to hate to go out in public, or to school, or even to the mailbox.
    I've been to the Dermatologist several times, always getting the same report, and another perscription for Accutane. (SP) (Gives severe chapped lips, and hurts like a mthr sckr. :]) So, I quit taking it, secretly (shh), and I ordered ProActiv.
    It's the best stuff ever.
    And anyone who says it doesn't work, may not know what they're talking about.
    :]
    It worked for me.
    :]
    Now I'm clear as can be, and I couldn't be happier.

My advice? ProActiv.

5. jroakwood

i use proactive, have for a longg time. and it hasnt completely cleared up my face.
    im dissapointed with it.
    but whatever.

6. Alexander

Nothing will work if you don't use moisturizer (oil free) and drink looooootttttts of water.

7. Paralyzer

I secretly stopped taking my Proactiv (which works btw) and I still got lots of comments on my face...... haha.. but It might be because I drank a lot of water. appl^

8. Swimmerboy

I don't think you have to really worry about having it for too long, and don't let it get to you. Take care of your skin. Avoid Accutane! Ask your doctor if he/she thinks erythromyocin can help.

Try a 10% benzoyle peroxide cream, like clearsil ultra vanishing cream once a day after you wash your face. Using a sunscreen with it is very important because of its interaction with UV rays in forming free radicals which age your skin and cause disorders such as cancer.

Salycilic acid (spelling?) is effective in the treatment of acne. A good face wash with this in it is clearasil ultra face something... it's shiny.

don't irritate or dry out your skin!!!

order:

Wash, cream, moisturizer, sunblock.

I don't think the order in which you put the moisturizer and sun block really matters.

avoid sun exposure. Tan skin is nice, but the aging affects aren't.
    :thumbsup:

Thats really all I know. Good luck.

Remember that acne is something most people have to deal with during puberty... wait two years and I'm willing to bet it will be gone. (haha that sounds like a long time, but you really have the rest of your life to have beautiful skin) :smilewave

Oh, and DON"T POP!!!!!!!!!

9. Swimmerboy

sounds like me.... actually kind of scary how similar it is.:eusa_shif

10. elstix99

elstix99 Guest

I use(d) StrideX, and it has done nothing. Basically I am just trying real hard not to pick what I have and I am recently being a lot more clean than I had been (not that I used to lie around the house in a pool of mulch and then go out to a party, but just generally not as clean as I should be) and if that doesn't work, I will scream :grin:. Seriously, I think if I stop picking what I have and that, it should work fine and it should work the same for you.

11. Jasper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    If the medication dries the skin out, can't you just apply moisturiser?

12. elstix99

elstix99 Guest

You can absolutely do that, but if you're using a medicine and then you apply some lotion, there could be conflict between active ingredients in both (I use lotion aggressively but not on my face, so I don't know for sure).

13. MusicIsMyBoyfriend

I'm on PanOxyl and it doesn't do anything for my skin, which i was really depressed about

14. KaraBulut

The next time that you are in a crowd of people, look at their skin. Everyone has very different skin- some have dry skin, some have oily skin, some people have large pores and some people have very small pores. That's why acne is so hard to treat- everyone's skin is different. What works for one person may not work for another person.

Another thing to know about acne treatment. Sometimes when you start a new treatment, it will get worse before it gets better. This is especially true of the medications that peel the skin.

Most people start with washes and creams that contain benzoyl peroxide. Medications like Panoxyl, AcneFree, Clean and Clear, Oxy, Proactive are all brands that contain benzoyl peroxide. These are all things that you can get at a drug store.

Usually, if these don't work for you, see a dermatologist. There are stronger medications that a doctor can give you that may do the trick.

Understand though, that it may take trying 2-3 different things before you find what works for your skin. Ask the doctor to give you samples. If something doesn't work for you, try something else.

15. ccole

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    just use a daily face scrub religiously...that's what i did and i'm pretty clear now =)

16. kiddo

Proactive has worked for me.
    I wouldn't recommend using prescriptions.