1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gah Acne

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by dictionary, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Kovax14

Kovax14 Guest

yikes! that sounds like a lot to go through just to get rid of acne

2. Bryan

Like many of you, I have horrible acne. I am in my 1st month of accutane. I am annoyed with the dry skin, chapped lips and dandruff it causes, but my face is beginning to clear up already, I just cant wait until its over.

3. StudMuffin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, the side effects can be pretty heavy, but it all really depends on the person. The chapped lips is a given, but other than that and nose bleeds (which I rarely get), the other side effects have yet to affect me. But it really is worth it. My skin hasn't been this smooth/clear since I was probably 13 or 14. The depression side effect is pretty rare from what I hear, but I can't say for sure. I feel fine after 3 months... in fact, my self-confidence has upped quite a bit since I've been taking it. Like I said, it depends on the person.

But I don't think anyone should take it if your acne isn't all that bad... like a poster said before me, it's a pretty strong drug. Dermatologists usually only give it to people who actually need it (moderate to severe).

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I think Accutane should be taken as a last resort especially if you are prone to depression to begin with.

5. Micah

Keep in mind that there are about half a dozen causes of acne, ranging from oily skin to unclean skin.

No single solution will work for everyone.

The important thing to remember is to give a particular treatment time to work, and if it doesnt work, try another.

I was on simple antibiotic medication for my skin when i was 15-16 which seemed to work fine in combination to cleaning with a gentle scrub.

However, when I turned 17 it flared up and nothing seemed to work. As a result I went on Accutane which cleared my skin up after about 2 months (not without mild side effects like dry lips and blood noses).

Accutane shrinks your sweat glands, which will be extremely effective for those with oily skin type acne. For someone whose acne stems from dry skin, facial hygiene or another cause, Accutane won't be very effective.

So try dont be affraid to try out your options. I had a friend whose skin cleared up due to a change of diet (cutting out high sugars and replacing them with vegetables and fruits). But the diet didn't work for me. It's all individual.

6. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

i have had any side effects yet, but i clean my face and moisturize it daily, i am obsessed with chapstick and i wash my hair daily. One thing i did notice was blowing bloody snot, but i never had a bloody nose. but, effects vary so much. A lot of my friends have been on it too and they have had excellent results

7. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had good success with benzoyl peroxide based cleaners, which are a lot less expensive then OTC drugs, and less likely to have severe side effects.

Also, I'd actually had success washing with plain old Hydrogen peroxide.

Another active ingredient in many acne cleaners is salicic acid, which many have good luck with (some products have both). I've also heard of people having good luck cleaning with vinegar (some claim apple cider vinegar. I don't know if it really matters).

Just be sure to dilute Hydrogen peroxide or Vinegar before use!

8. sdc91

If my acne regimen doesn't clear up my face by February 20-somethingth, then my dermatologist is going to talk to me about Accutane, which he strongly believes in.

As far as depression/suicide, he said that a Florida (I think) lawmaker's son was on Accutane and committed suicide so the lawmaker blamed it on Accutane or something. I'm not sure that it actually causes depression. Anyway, he fully supports Accutane and doesn't think there's anything wrong with it, but it should be used as a last resort especially because it's EXPENSIVE. My mom said the treatment is $3000, since that's what it cost for my older brother (or at least that's what she told me).

9. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

I take Accutane... :slight_smile: 2 more months and I can come off it...

It doesn't leave scars.

Cured my brothers acne

And I haven't gotten a pimple in a LONG time.

It takes 6 months though

And you get really dry while on it...

I hate the dryness, but no acne... at all...

But it has a lot of side affects, but lucky I only get the dry skin side effect.

10. bvtsjm116

bvtsjm116 Guest

ZOMG! I didn't know so many other people took it XD yes. IT IS HELL. I hope everything goes back to normal after. The dry skin is HELLLL.... and... well... my lips are SOO chapped, and I have to wear soo much chapstick... which this girl makes fun of cause it looks like lip gloss she says *rolls eyes* I've gotten like a few nose bleeds but not really... and nothing having to do with my bladder.

11. Hollywood

my mother wouldn't let me take accutane. she's a nurse and knows too much about the side effects-especially extreme depression.

12. UnderARock

Out Status:
    Some people
    I took Roaccutane (Which I think is the same thing as Accutane, sold under different names in different countries) about 5 years ago. I cant recommend it more highly. I have extremely bad ance and nothing else worked at all. Took this and it completely got rid of it. Side effect wise all i had were dry lips that need to have lip balm applied to them alot. Personally imo getting completely rid of my ance for a few months of dry lips was more than a fair trade. If only it was as easy to get rid of other elements of my uglyness.

13. SpikySpice

It would be better if I use Proactiv earlier,

My face is urghh><, my pimples are one of the things I hate teh most bout me. Seems liek I have a break out . Mhy face used to look better

14. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

that is without out insurance and the name brand of Accutane. there is about 5 other generic brands that cause the same effects

15. Wired106

ppreston9 is right! I used that about a year ago and was on it for like 3 months. You have to go to a dermatologist to get it perscribed and you also have to have monthly blood tests. Its hard to get perscribed and you can only be on the treatment a maximum of around 2-3 times (each treatment is about 3 months long) because it is known to cause severe problems in organs but that is why your are monitored. nothing bad happened for me but this is the only thing that worked! I use to have it bad and what this stuff actually does is, it pushes everything out and you get bad acne like the first 2 weeks but after 2 months your skin gets so clear that you have no big pores showing or anything. literally this stuff will work. make sure you have good med insurance tho because this stuff costs around $900 for a supply of 30 pills for a month. :icon_wink

16. nickmc

I also am on Roaccutane but am only in the first month of it. So far it hasn't made a difference other than completely drying up my skin- AHH the pain of chapped lips when you've forgotten to bring chapstick with you... oh and a few more nosebleeds than usual.

I was one of those people who kinda had to take SOMETHING. I've had bad acne for about 6 years, never squeezed a pimple and yet still (according to my dermatologist) have some scarring- so unfair. So sometimes you can't just leave it...

It's great to hear some of you have had positive results with it. I hope I can join THAT group *fingers crossed*

17. Micah

Hopefully you'll notice a difference by 2-3 months. If you're the type of person that has external ache (bumps on top of the skin) you'll notice clearer skin than if you have internal ache (below the skin). Red marks and other blemishes take much longer to clear up - but rest assured they do get better with time =]

18. Nicvcer

Nicvcer Guest

I waited away my zits, that worked pretty well

19. biisme

benzaclin is what i use and it works really well. i just wash my face twice at night and then apply it, and then my acne goes away

20. Phantasma

About 2 weeks ago I started using some home remedies that are working well for me.. I'm way too embarassed to go ask my parents to buy me acne medication >.>
    So ya, I'm using some home remedies that are working decently. Maybe not as quickly as the pro stuff, but it works.

Oh also.. that accutane stuff.. that sounds like absolute hell to go through just because of some pimples :confused: Monthly blood tests, possible organ damage and severe depression? Nose bleeds? Just to get rid of some pimples?

Oh well.. to each his own.

#40 Phantasma, Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2008