1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fight or Flight? I just went ahead and told my best friend.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mstg74, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Rinamir Mortem

Firstly, thanks for the comment on my way of writing :grin: You are the first to do so!

Also, I have been thinking about this for a bit and I wonder if you are confusing the feelings that you have with homosexuality. For instance, do you want to sleep with him? If so, you can be certain it would be homosexual. If not, I think we can call it what you have been calling it for some time: a very close friendship.

I think two men can have a very close friendship that borders on what people would call homosexual. After all, friendships that are as close as yours, I do not doubt, require some element of love in order for it to survive. But this love could be nothing like what two gay men would feel for each other and I fear you might be confusing the feelings of brotherly love with the generic kind of love felt between couples.

I only say this because in light of what you have said I don't really get a sense of what I would feel would be the usual motions of a friendship that would develop into a full blown relationship. Your love is entirely innocent and dedicated only to the keeping of a friendship, nothing more. At least, that is what I think, I don't know if you would agree with me but I think highlighting the fact you are confusing something innocent with something sexual is important in letting you figure out the wider picture.

2. Mstg74

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Well, it has been a week since everything went down and I have to say, nothing has gone as expected in the least bit, at all.

About the next day after, he was already cautiously talking to me as normal and vice-versa. We have since hung out, drank and acted closer than ever. He jokes with me now more than ever.

In fact, just today, kidding around I made a snide comment to the effect of -- lets see if we are friends in a few years to which he replied, "If I haven't gone anywhere after the last few days, I am not going anywhere ever".

We actually got to talking about the night and all, and he told me ... trying to "push away from me" as I requested was the hardest thing ever, didn't even work 12 hrs.

I think I am happy now more than ever, we are awesome friends and we care about each other a lot. If one day something happens (I think it will to be honest, and not in an awkward drunk manner....) then it will be awesome, if nothing ever does happen, who cares, because our friendship is so awesome and comfortable now that I have no regrets. :slight_smile:

3. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Fight or Flight, that is how I would describe the moment yesterday when my Mom asked "are you Gay" should I say yes or deny it, but as the saying goes Carpe Diem, I decided to seize the day & the moment & I said "Yes". :slight_smile:

4. Pathfinder

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dont sweat the small stuff.

I wish I had a friend like that, and your rationale.

Good luck, Keep calm and carry on

5. nostreborem

One quick comment, was he extremely hammered on the night you told him, if not, are there any signs that used to occur beforehand because not many "straight" males tear up if someone of the same gender says they (might) like them. Just curious as to if there were pre-revelation signs or not.