1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling empty

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Rayland, May 6, 2023.

1. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So for a while now I began to feel frustrated. I couldn't pinpoint what exactly it was, so it made me even more frustrated, but I figured it out at the end, that the reason I was feeling frustrated was that I was fully ignoring my own needs. I didn't know how to deal with it all or what solutions there were.

I was feeling very lonely. Seeing others interact and me not so much made me more aware of my own feelings and I felt sorry for myself and sad. I tend to start keeping feelings in again. I either distract myself or fully ignore them.

Now I just feel empty inside. Nothing seems to fill that emptiness. I also think there is still depression lurking.

Mihael likes this.
  2. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Trying to fill emptiness with other people rarely works. Sometimes we need to work on ourselves first and let people come later. Slowing down helps too, burnout can contribute to depression and feelings of emptiness.

Obviously I'm not a professional but sometimes slowing down and trying to care less about the world outside for a while has personally helped me before.

Wanderlost and Rayland like this.
  3. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slowing down is a good idea.

I've been watching some videos how people help themselves to get out of the pit and they say that noticing the little things that makes them happy help, of course it won't stop the sad feelings, but it's a way to help yourself that time, when you're feeling down and it takes practice to try and find these little things in every day, like seeing a cute puppy or water shimmering in the sun and when it makes you smile, then you start to feel a little better.

I've been better at trying to love myself. I do feel I'm making progress in many areas, but maybe I need a hobby or something outside of uni to feel a little more content with life.

Wanderlost, mnguy and Cinnamoon like this.
  4. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah you definitely can think about hobbies. I'm thinking of trying baking myself, I'd probably be terrible at it though!

By lonely by the way, do you mean in terms of people you physically see or just generally, if that makes sense?

Rayland likes this.
  5. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I meant generally, like even just seeing others interactions online.

6. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get it and sorry you're feeling like this. What do you think about hobbies that involve other people? At least some otherwise you might feel lonely again as the interest in hobbies alone gets old and empty again. Seems like it comes back to having enough supportive people for life to feel worthwhile and not excruciatingly hopeless. Then again the wrong people can cause a lot of damage and pain too so I don't know how most people seem to do it so easily. The pain of loneliness is worse than pain from others maybe so they opt for that? Hang in there buddy!

7. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you. Yeah I've been thinking that. I do need an group activity and it would motivate me more too. I used to play badminton, but I feel like I don't have enough energy for sports right now. I will find something. I've been wanting to do something related to art. I do need to interact with others more, but I feel so awkward around people. I feel like others don't really understand me, like people here do.

8. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, some things you can enjoy alone when you want and some to do with others. Same with people not understanding me too and being awkward, oh well, we're all misfits :slight_smile:

Rayland likes this.
  9. BlueLion

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Rain! It's been a while since the last time we talked. I'm sorry for that; I just took some time away from EC because I started to feel depressed again.

I'm really sorry you're feeling like that. I wish I could be helpful but my mood is similar to what you describe in your post.

All I can say is that I feel you because I'm there too. Have you been feeling that way for a long time?

Lots of hugs. :slight_smile:

10. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Rain.....I know that everybody has different ways of combating loneliness. I am blessed with a wonderfully family and even though I'm retired, I have quite a number of activities and commitments that keep me busy. However, there are still times when I look back at my many years as a school teacher (High School Band Director) when I was very busy working with students and really loved what I was doing. I can feel overwhelmed with sadness that my time with "my kids" is over. I really loved working with my students and we did some amazing things when I was teaching (playing for the President of the United States, etc.)! What I have found that helps me out when a bit of sadness hits me over what-was-and-is-no-more is really very simple. It may not work for others, but it works wonders for me. I just pick up my sweet kitty "Biscuit" and snuggle with her for a while. She loves to snuggle in my arms and let me pet her. Every once in a while she will look up at me and give me a very sweet "kitty-kiss" and at that moment all the world seems to be right. Sometimes the simplest things are the most important! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

11. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

I sent you a PM. And hugs. I'm sorry you've been feeling the same way. Yeah, actually I have been feeling like this for a long time. I just ignored it though.

BlueLion likes this.
  12. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you David. Reading this made me smile.

13. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really hard topic for me because it gets deep into some core things that make me lonely for someone to love me. Socializing helps me, and getting obsessed with some hobby. I consider myself a very independent person but when I'm feeling like I'm alone and no one "gets me," I begin to act in erratic ways and allow my emotions to drive me, which in turn makes me hate who I've become. I don't hate myself, I hate what loneliness can do to me. How I behave, what I say, how I think, during those times are like I'm some other pathetic human being lost in a mire of self pity. All the while my logical, levelheaded side is screaming at me to get it the fuck together! (this is probably not very uplifting at this point, sorry) I suppose I'm not here to try and fix your problem, Rain, or suggest ideas on how to beat this. I'm here to say I get you, I see you, and I understand where you are coming from. *hugs you tight*

#13 Wanderlost, May 7, 2023
    Last edited: May 7, 2023
    PrettyBoyBlue, Rayland and Cinnamoon like this.
  14. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tight hugs back your way.

It's okay. I actually expected to get no reply's at all. Sometimes even with sozializing too it makes me feel alienated. Like I'm alone in this whole planet. It is really hard to beat this. I tried different things. Even just eating foods only fills the stomach, but not that void. Finding that little something in each day that makes me happier seems to help a little, but it's not always effective.

I'm also very independent. I'm not someone who can't handle stuff and even, when I need help I try to handle things by myself, but sometimes it just don't work out.

My emotions too often get too much. I get overly sensitive and misunderstand others, because my emotions paint me another picture and I take other peoples emotions in too.

15. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I find meditation and mindfulness helps me to get grounded and makes the problems seem more manageable - especially with anxiety- I find all the things we worry about are either in the past or in the imagined future - so finding that feeling of being in the present can be really calming!

PrettyBoyBlue and Rayland like this.
  16. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do practice meditation and also mindfulness and sometimes they do help. I just get really busy and I don't practice them all the time.
    I do think the reason for it all is that I worry about my future too much. There is nothing there that is certain.

I'm worried about, if I even can start taking T, because of my bad health. I'm scared what the endo will say.

I'm worried about commitee in the year 2024 and will I be even allowed to transition.

I'm worried about my parents reaction, when I finally come out to them.

I'm worried, if I get myself a stable job that is okay with trans people.

I'm worried about all the paperwork I need to do, when I change my name.

I'm worried about will people accept me old and new people who I meet.

I'm worried whether I'm strong enough to go through with this all and whether I break down or not.

I'm worried will I ever find someone who just loves me for me. Whether a man or a woman.

I'm worried also what changes, when I start T. Will my attractions change? Does my dysphoria dissappear? Do I finally feel content and happy?

17. Nameerf76

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You definitely have a lot things to worry about! And yes it's hard to find time to meditate! I find it doesn't make worries go away but it, at least, gives you a break from them! Even if it's only half an hour!

18. Wanderlost

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty much exactly how I am, and feel lately since being away from home. I think it's a little bit the culture being different. no amount of English proficiency can eliminate the feeling that I'm not fully understanding what people around me mean. Like reading between the lines stuff. I try to guess what people mean or are implying, and it's often not right. Emotional attachments increase this problem to the point of feeling like I'm on a roller coaster ride that I want off of. Then I beat myself up over my stupidity, and recover and become the sensible, guarded person that I usually am, and feel more comfortable with.

I am sorry you worry about so much. I worry too, but I rarely "feel it," it just sits there in the back of my mind.

Rayland likes this.
  19. chicodeoro

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi Rain, a lot of your worries are completely understandable, given the place where you live and the times that we are living through. I think you need to break your worries down into the things you can't control and the things over which you have some agency..

Firstly, your parents' reaction: you can prepare some groundwork here, place a 'trail of breadcrumbs', so to speak. That way, when you finally do break the news it won't be a complete shock. Also you could the two stage approach (stage 1: 'I have something big to tell you', followed by: the big reveal).

Then the job. I don't know the situation regarding trans rights in employment in Estonia, but you are an EU citizen! You can live and work in 27 different countries (unlike us Brits:cry:). You could get a job wherever you want in Europe, perhaps somewhere that is more accepting than where you are now!

Paperwork? Well, join the club. If you're trans, it's unavoidable.

Acceptance? Yes, there will be people who don't accept you and that will be hard. But many friends will and you will make many many new friends who do accept you for you. In most people's lives - cis or trans - there is what I term a 'friendship churn' - you lose some along the way, but also gain some too.

Are you strong enough? Of course you are. In many ways you've already gone through the most difficult bit - self realisation. You know you are a guy. Many many people can't face up to their inherent trans-ness, because it is too damn hard to face. Gawd, it took me 50 years!

I'd worry about love later. What I will say is that there's nothing more attractive than someone who is at ease with themselves, who is happy with who they are. Transitioning will give you that ease and make you feel comfortable in your own skin, which in turn will make you more ripe for a romantic relationship.

Finally hormones: There's no getting around it, they will change you. I've heard they can shift your sexuality. Testosterone will certainly make you more horny! (like a lot of guys). The idea* is that your dysphoria will disappear - because you're more at ease with yourself. You will feel and sound and look like the man you've always wanted to be.

You and me are in a similar situation. I'm on the brink of going onto hormones, but I know I face a hairpin bend in terms of my relationships with a lot of people, mostly family. I know some people won't accept me, but I've got to do this. I simply cannot live the rest of my life as a male.

It's going to be alright, Rain. It really is.

Hugs, Beth xx

* Obviously, not having started I can't say this for sure! Everyone I know who has gone through it says it has a positive effect on dysphoria.

#19 chicodeoro, May 9, 2023
    Last edited: May 9, 2023
  20. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I will reply back properly soon. I have read through the replies. Just reading them make me feel better. This week is very hectic for me. I got uni, tons of homework and I got endocrinologist appointment on Wednesday, so traveling to another city for that. I get to to blood tests to see, if starting T is even good for my health, because I heard it can be bad, if you have kidney issues too. My endo is a trans friendly and was recommended by another trans person here. And next week a few job interviews too. It's been a while, since I've been actually contacted for a interview. One of the jobs is close to my profession too and would offer a lot of job experience, even though it's only a seasonal job.

mnguy and Wanderlost like this.