1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News European Parliamentary Elections

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by PatrickUK, Apr 24, 2014.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Voted yesterday for greens, for all the good that'll do.

2. Hexagon

Principles, my friend. They're all we have left.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Tell you what though, I'm getting a bit hacked off at the BBC coverage.

You'd think UKIP had won every council seat going the fuss they are making. I realise they have done better than in previous years and others have done worse, suggesting the UKIP are going to completely change the face of politics because if it seems a bit premature...

4. Hexagon

It is remarkably irritating, isn't it?

5. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UKIP win no seats in Leeds, thank goodness, but they do appear to be the third largest part in the city now. Greens have pushed the Lib Dems into fifth place - which I find hilarious. The Lib Dems are pretty much finished. :lol:

6. Harve

They've actually got the same percentage of the vote as last year, which is pretty poor considering this year's falls on the same day as the EU elections and they've spent the last 12 months 'surging'. Nevertheless, going from 15 (in 2010 when these council seats were last contested) to 121 councillors is quite impressive.

In many areas they've stayed at 0, whereas in others (Essex, the West Midlands to a lesser extent) they've gained plenty and even taken away from Labour. This concentrated vote means that the first ever MP in living memory of a far-right party in the UK might be possible next year, but I'd still bet against it.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And they only have themselves to blame.

I keep hear people talking about how UKIP is stealing votes from people and it's crap. They ARE getting some votes, but I don't see swarms of people shouting "Man, I would have voted lib dems but I feel UKIP represent my theoretically center left views better"...

They shot themselves in the foot teaming up with the conservatives since it basically doomed any chance they had of delivering on election promises...

8. Harve

They've actually delivered quite a few of their election promises, but failing the 'flagship' tuition fee promise kinda sealed their fate. I do think they lack definition though. I don't see the point in anyone outside their heartlands (where support hasn't actually declined too much, surprisingly) voting for them.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well see therein lies part of the problem.

I used to 'support' in the loosest possible sense of the word, the lib dems. I read about the policies of different parties and tried to make informed choices. But I haven't the faintest idea what they've actually DONE since they've been in government.

I know a lot of things the tories have done that I can't stand, but anything GOOD seems to disappear without mention...

But yes, the whole tuition fees thing cost them dearly...

10. Hexagon

Pleased to hear green is up a little :slight_smile:

Fuck, this asshole keeps coming on the news. I have to keep muting my laptop.

11. Harve

They've definitely done things, although I had to look it up myself. This comes straight from the Lib Dems, so take it with a pinch of salt. But I doubt all or most of these would've happened had the government been entirely Conservative.

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I also see that Labour have taken control of Cambridge City Council away from the Lib Dems. :slight_smile:

I think it's the pledge over student fees that really took its toll on the Lib Dems - the Lib Dems are faring really badly in cities with huge student populations. I think everything else is being overlooked - even if they have done some good.

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hardly suprising given that they are trying to persuade everyone to go to uni knowing full well that student loans don't cover the costs of actually going, and that when you come out most of those degrees won't mean anything...

14. Hexagon

We're kinda hijacking this thread. It is about the euro elections, after all.

15. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  16. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    What Europe has done is elect everybody's racist uncle.

I could have sworn we fought a war against this kind of political thought.

17. Beware Of You

Not good

It appears the extremes have triumphed in France, Denmark and Hungary with far right parties taking most seats, in Ireland and Greece Far Left parties have got MEPs (Sinn Feinn and that Greek one I can't remember how to spelll)

UKIP have got the UK, even have a MEP in Scotland when the SNP didn't peform as well as people expected , Labour didn't do as well either, Lib Dems are down to one MEP and in 5th place after the Greens.

But in Good news NICK GRIFFIN IS NO LONGER A MEP THANK GOD

---------- Post added 26th May 2014 at 07:02 AM ----------

Its a bit odd since they won..

18. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wonder how many of the people who are going to, quite rightly, complain about the far right winning across Europe actually bothered to vote. They're as much to blame as the mainstream parties.

19. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Big problem with most European cultures; pretending anti-Semitism and other racism appeared with a chap with a funny moustache and a grating voice and disappeared when Berlin fell. The reason why it continues is that ordinary Europeans refuse to take responsibility for the excesses and evils of their cultures and societies. That sort of negligence can lead to extremist parties getting ahead; extremists act no matter what.

The EU elections shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Italy and France have been full of right-wing parties supported by disaffected and generally ethnically homogeneous electors clamouring for reactionary racial and other social policies for over a decade. Anyone surprised should really pick up a newspaper; it might even have racist drivel to prove itself on the front page if they get the right (really, wrong (but also Right)) one.

20. BornAnew

[​IMG]

Oh dearrrr...how did this happen! LMAO!
    I never thought they'd actually win!

UKIP won in the South West & have 2 MEP's...so do the Conservatives. (not susprising tbh)..I bet cornwall voted for those 2 UKIP MEP's lol.