1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my friend think of me as more than a friend?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by heythere999, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heythere999

Well considering that he's been saying stuff like "you can tell me anything you want honestly" and he's been trusting me more and more I'd say I have to be patient... but I want to see what some more of you think about yesterday's hangout lol

sorry for being annoying I know about a good half of this thread is me

2. Blayde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been following this thread ever since I originally read it a few weeks ago, and you've only been further convincing me and what seems like everyone else who posted here that this guy does in fact like you (and it seems like he really, really likes you). To be honest, you have nothing to be afraid of; I truly feel like you should talk to him in private and be completely honest about how you feel about him. Like others have said, if he reacted in a negative manner--regardless of whether or not he likes you--after everything that you shared with us would be absurd. It's understandable why you wouldn't want to directly confront him about it (I don't know what I would do if I was ever in a similar situation), but continuing with all of the "flirting" and "hinting" is just wasting time that you could be spending with him in an actual official relationship. It's also possible that you two might not even be compatible with each other if you actually do end up in a relationship, and wasting all of this time analyzing, guessing, and asking us for advice is preventing you from pursuing a relationship with him or someone else. I'll continue to follow your thread either way, but I really think it would be beneficial for the both of you if you just had a private discussion about the situation with him.

3. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely think he is into you. You need to tell him how you feel. Let him know that he isn't just a top 5 friend. Let him know he means more to you than that. Let him know that you didn't expect it to happen, but as your friendship has grown that it feels like more than just friendship to you. Mention all the things you've noticed that make you think it might be more than just friendship for him too.

Ask him what his thoughts are about all of it. I know it is probably difficult to talk so openly about your feelings, but I'm sure you also don't want to spend the rest of your life asking, "What if?" Just remember that being open and honest with someone is not weakness. Being vulnerable with someone else is strength.

4. heythere999

Honestly the bad thing is that I've pretty much never opened up to him about anything, so something like that being the first thing to open up about would be a pretty bad idea.

And yeah, it does feel like flirting, big time. The thing is, he's pretty masculine except for when he's focused on me. And honestly, as someone who is very popular and has many friends of both genders and has had many close friendships and numerous relationships... no one has ever made me feel this special or this loved. And I wouldn't feel this way if I thought it was 100% platonic. I've never had any of my guy friends act anywhere close to this. And he's a touchy-feely guy in general but no one is even close to how he acts with me. I dunno. But I'm just scared. I'm not comfortable opening up to him yet.

And thanks for the support :slight_smile:

5. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why don't you try starting by talking about something else personal? Have you got anything going on that you could talk to him about, or confide in him? Once you start confiding in someone, it gets easier. Or start a "would you ever...." conversation to bring up the topic? If you do it multiple times he might get the hint :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

If he is into you, he seems to be doing everything he can to get your attention - give him something to work with. Copy what he does and ask him to sit with you more, initiate hugs and stuff. Think about if you were him and were interested, what could you do to show it without outright saying it?

It sounds like he's more comfortable being himself with you, and tries to act straight around other friends. Its coming across as the girls numbers etc are an after thought sometimes. Is that how it seems in real life, or am i getting it wrong? Either way, liking girls, doesn't stop you liking guys, so it's not hugely relevant.

If he's flirty around you but not other friends, and sometimes cools off when other friends turn up it definitely sounds like he's into you. If he was just friends and comfortable around you, he'd either be the same to you no matter who's around, or would be like it with other close friends probably (at least that's what mine are like).

6. heythere999

He's already done that, though, months ago. At sleepovers he'd ask questions like "would you ever make out with a guy?" "if you could make out with one guy in this group, who would it be?" "making out with (me) I wonder what that feels like" etc. etc.

I'll initiate more hugs and try to get closer for sure.

Yeah there's moments in particular where he cools it off and it's usually when certain people show up and whatnot.

7. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe that was him trying to figure you out? Get you to admit something. He's definitely thought about it :slight_smile: Good luck!
    Let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

8. heythere999

So today he came over to my house with some other friends, and the whole time he was basically following me; I would come into my house while everyone was outside to get some food for them or to clean up, and every single time, he'd accompany me inside. Despite having around 7 other people over, we had a lot of alone time because of this. I noticed how he didn't blush while laughing around anyone else, but he blushed a lot around me while laughing.

When he wanted to use the bathroom, he asked me if he wanted to come with him, again. And yeah, he'd pretty much accompany me everywhere. If I went to look into the fridge, he did it with me. If I went to pet my dog, he came along with me. If I was eating pizza, he'd come next to me. If I was getting something from downstairs, he'd come with me. If I was getting something from my friend's car, he'd come with me. If he wanted to go somewhere he'd ask me to come with him.

And when we were alone and talking we'd pretty much stare at each others' eyes while talking, usually pretty much just teasing each other, making fun of each others' laughs or things we'd say. He also brought up a lot of things that no one else would remember, such as one thing my grandma would say, which is something I probably brought up once months ago.

There was even a point where we stopped talking, we just stared into each others' eyes for at least 6 seconds, then he tapped my shoulders, my hips, my ears, then my face, then hugged me.

Speaking of hugs, he randomly hugged me at least 5 times. And I'm almost 100% sure for one of them he felt my... 3rd leg... and he wasn't creeped out at all. Everything was still how it was. I also noticed him trying to fix his hair, especially when I jokingly pointed out that his hair was bad. When we were playing video games, he made him and I partners against two other friends, and every time I'd look at him, he'd raise his eyebrows and point to the TV, open his mouth, stick his tongue out and move his lips up and down. Dunno if that means anything, really.

And this time he didn't mention girls at all. And he was always oriented towards me if he wasn't talking to me.

And lastly, both him and I acted very different and very straight the moment my brother came home. And once my mom was in the living room sitting on the couch he would no longer accompany me inside.

So yeah. Overall tonight was nice. I felt a great connection with us. He wouldn't leave my sight. At this point I'm convinced that he either wants to be my absolute best friend or something more than that...

---------- Post added 22nd Jun 2014 at 02:19 AM ----------

Also, another thing that I noticed: he never wants to hurt me in any way, ever.

If I do something and someone else does the same thing and it makes him mad, he'll only get mad at the other person. If I jokingly hit him, he hits me back very lightly. One time I was hitting him with a pillow and to fight back he hit me with a pillow twice, then dropped it and hugged me. And today he jokingly tried to light out a cigarette on my face and then said "no I'd never do anything like that to you."

etc. etc.

just more food for thought I guess.

9. heythere999

Also, for the same hug where we stared for around 6 or so seconds, then he proceeded to tap my shoulders, then my arms, then hips, then my ears, then face, he hugged me for a few seconds (cheeks were touching, of course), and when he let go he put his hands on my arms then very very slowly slid his hands down my arms before letting go.

10. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    It seems obvious that you really care about each other. It could last a very long time if neither of you make a move though. It must be a little exhausting to have to overthink every little thing he does. Wouldn't it be nice to know once and for all ?

11. JimmyB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, I've been following this Thread for quite a while now and I think that your story is pretty amazing, but like others have said before, you should really just go for it!
    What do you want him to do? Hold up a bright and flashing neon sign that says "I really really like you a lot and want us to be more than just good friends"?

You're lucky to have such a friend and you need to admit it to yourself that you like hime too.
    I wish you the best luck andhope that it works out for both of you! (!)

12. heythere999

I'll probably slowly start hinting it. Maybe. I mean the thing is I'm super comfortable with who I am (I'm not out though nor am I planning on it to anyone other than him) so I won't mind having him as something more than a friend. Dunno about him though.

13. jazzcourse

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    To be honest, enough hinting has happened :slight_smile: I think you need to just tell him how you feel and go from there, just to save yourself from more grief.

I was in a situation exactly like this. All the touching, boundary crossing, etc. He did the SAME stuff this guy and you do- he would play wrestle with me to purposefully give me a hard on and then pants me, tell me he had dreams of having sex with me, and write me letters telling me he loved me. BUT this all happened without any real conversation. Even while we dated girls.

It was like torture, and I can sense you feel exactly how I felt. You don't want to lose this, but I can GUARANTEE that as time goes on, this will become less a source of pleasure and more maddening. I let my situation go on for a very long time, we both did. I honestly wish I hadn't. It's consuming you, the way you post reads like my thought process at the time, and no amount of hinting is going to resolve this. You are probably terrified of the resolution, I know I was because what we had was special. Know that is true for you. No amount of sign analysis needs to happen to validate how special this is.

I'll tell you what- my situation even culminated in a booze fueled night of kissing, groping, etc, and you know it never really mattered. We never dated, he wouldn't really pursue what I would have in an official way, and it almost sent me to the loony bin. Before that night I did what you are avoiding- the conversation. I said point blank, no jokes, do you have feelings for me. He said no. Then that night happened months later when he was telling me he loved me like crazy and tackled me to the floor and kissed me for like 2 hours. Some people will never reconcile this insane disparity between what the are doing and what they will admit to wanting and doing. You need to find out where his limit is. Do it when you are sober.

I really sympathize with you a great deal, and my heart goes out to you :slight_smile: Just know that the longer you let this go on, the harder it will become to force a resolution, and the worse the fall out will be. But you can do it!!!!!!!! You just need to know that there is a BIG difference between all this "flirting" and a relationship- I mean it's beyond flirting. It's obviously real, and indicative of feelings that are real. We don't need to tell you that. But you need to know sooner rather than later if he will pursue these feelings and/or acknowledge them outside this jokey/flirty hinting veneer that is ridiculously thin.

So do it soon heythere, and make sure you're ready. But don't let yourself sit in this stew for too long.

I really hope you get the happy ending. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

14. heythere999

So basically admit my feelings in private before I go crazy?

And how long did you guys flirt? For me it's been ever since we actually became friends (though I've known him for a little over a year now), so around 7 months, but it's been hardcore flirting ever since we've been close, which is about 2 months.

And I dunno, I'm scared. What if he actually only thinks of me as a friend somehow? As slim of a chance as that is (honestly when he looked at me in the eyes, then tapped my shoulders, hips, ears, face, hugged me, then had his hand rub down my arms slowly... I was almost positive lol. But obviously there's been a million more examples of boundary crossing I've typed out here) I really am too scared to risk it. And we're in the same group of friends... eh. Perhaps I'm being paranoid?

15. heythere999

16. jazzcourse

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I think it would definitely be best to admit the feelings in private. Soon. Because:

1) You will either get to start some sort of exciting relationship,
    or
    2) You will put yourself into reality and out of your misery. It is not healthy to live in limbo like this. It is better to know sooner rather than later, because if he is not willing to pursue it, you need to move on.

I know you're scared, and I completely understand why. This fear will not go away if you wait. In fact, it will likely grow, and it will only get harder to upset the status quo between you two.

It is humiliating to admit this, but I did this dance for six years. I wasn't strong enough to stop it. We shared a group of friends, and our relationship fluctuated a lot over that time- sometimes we pushed each other away. But for the bulk of that time, that dynamic was my emotional center of gravity, which was very unhealthy. I try to keep my posts light hearted, but those years left me chronically depressed, suicidal, and feeling insanely alone.

What is even crazier, is I can remember, AT THE BEGINNING of those years, pressing myself to reach some resolution. But I didn't, and the more time that passed, I lost my nerve and will to do so. I really don't want to see you go through what I went through.

Also, be prepared that even if he rejects you, you can choose to keep speaking to him, but it is likely the dynamic will continue to transgress normal friendship boundaries, which is what happened to me after I got up the nerve to force a conclusion. In fact our first full blown sexual thing was after he had coldly rejected me, imply I was crazy in the process.

In fact, he went on to get married. I am still single. After not speaking for almost two years, he facebooked me to tell me he thinks about me all the time. I didn't respond, it is totally despicable to do that to his wife, reaching out to someone where there was a constant romantic undertow. But he clearly has some serious limits, conflicts, etc, that he will never resolve. I don't think this is that unusual for humans, though it is very sad.

You were still debating in the last post about how he thinks of you. End the debate. We know he has some serious interest in you. That is no longer the question. The question is now, would he be willing to have a normal honest attempt at putting this on the table of life. The only was to find out is to sit him down and ask. My dude had obvious sexual and emotional interest in me. It was beyond obvious as time went on. But it didn't matter.

The relationship still mattered and matters a lot to me, but the pain completely eclipsed any comfort or pleasure. Like I said, I was ultimately suicidal over it.

Please be good to yourself. Keep us posted. Don't be afraid :slight_smile: We're here.

17. heythere999

I decided that, within the next month or two, I'm definitely telling him. I just want our friendship to blossom a little more, as I feel like it's getting more and more intimate and lovey-dovey than ever before. So I want it to grow a little bit, and then when we're alone I want to approach it in a way where, if he gets disgusted by it, I'll make it easy for him, and if he isn't, he'll show me how much he cares for me. And I don't feel like asking him how he feels would produce any positive results. I'll just reveal how I feel about him, and then go from there.

All I'll do is say that I love ladies but I've grown strong feelings for him, and I'll say things like "sorry I know you don't deserve this" and "if we indirectly communicate in the group chat and you're going somewhere I'll stay home or do something else don't worry" "don't worry I'll be out of your way" etc. etc. and I feel like that approach would be best, because, like I said, that either makes it super easy for him, or, he'll show me how much he cares for me, if he truly does.

But yeah, I've decided that I'm definitely going to tell him by the end of this summer. So July or August. But I'll basically keep you guys updated about every hang out, tell you what he says and does, etc.

18. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow, I'm really sorry you had to go through all that. I hope you're in a better place now (*hug*)(*hug*) You deserve someone better than that.

Well done for making a decision, but do be careful you're not tempted by "just another month". That's how this sort of thing drags out.

Hopefully, it will all go the way you want, or if it doesn't, he might still be okay with things, and get over the awkward phase and you all can hang out as normal. I've been on the receiving end of feelings and we stayed friends, no awkwardness, so it might not be a problem :slight_smile: but it sounds like you're prepared for this. Good luck!

19. heythere999

Well I got a little pissed off today.

So ever since he found out that we like the same fast food place and it's near our school that we now both attend, he's been wanting to go with me. Even though my class ends at 2 and his ends at 4, he asked me to wait for a couple of hours until him and another friend in our group finished the class. I had work around the area at 6 so today I decided to stay (though yesterday I didn't, and he wanted us to eat together).

So from the moment I saw him he was blushing and smiling and we were teasing/mocking/poking fun at one-another, and I noticed him preening a lot; fixing his hair and stuff. And while we were eating and sitting next to each other we would "accidentally" touch a lot and both of us would delay moving away after a good 10 or so seconds and when we were teasing each other he randomly grabbed my arm from near its pit and started squeezing it. I mean it's nothing super sexual or quite possibly not sexual at all but it's worth noting, I guess.

And then when another friend came to join us while eating, we were continuing our usual behavior until a few minutes in when he said "if you two were gay you'd make the perfect gay couple." And then he responded by saying "of course you say that because of (me) it's all (me) cuz he's gay" and he also said something like "yeah I couldn't concentrate in class because of this chick sitting in front of me I was staring at her the whole time" around 10 minutes before our other friend came in.

which really really pissed me off because he's been the one from the beginning doing all the non-straight touching and whatnot which made me have feelings for him. I have literally never made a move on him. So it really pissed me off.

I'm seeing him tomorrow at an event and I don't think anyone from our group will be there (unless he invited them over the course of tonight while he was hanging out with them while I was at work) but I dunno, today had me annoyed.

#79 heythere999, Jun 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  20. heythere999

Oh and when I was in front of my work place, I said a collective goodbye to all 3 of my guy friends I was with, including him, and when I turned around he whistled at me to give me a personal goodbye but I didn't. I dunno, I'm ticked. Am I overreacting? I'm already planning on being cold tomorrow lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.